Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Afterglow

Mothers Clutching Babies, Crudreams Out

It is done.

Feel free to setup servers and playtest it for 2 weeks so I can upload a revision to /idgames at a later date. That's right, I'm even too lazy to beta test. It was a long and arduous journey... was it worth it?

Edit: If you downloaded the WAD before Sept 16, 5:59AM Eastern time, rename the lump named "MAPINFO." to "MAPINFO". A new proper version is now up on the site. I'm a dumbness.

Edit 2: I got to play MAP05 thru 26 tonight using Skulltag tonight. A few bugs and gameplay issues were discovered. I would suggest you take MAP04 out of your server rotation until I get the new version uploaded next week with the DM starts (rather than player 4 :/). Feel free to post other bug reports in this thread.

Edit 3: Performed a bit more playtesting today with Tango, as my mousing skills failed it many a time.

Edit 4: Crucified Dreams version 1.1 has been uploaded and I appreciate any server admins to update their respective machines to run this version instead. Many of the spamming issues caused by lackadaisical item placement have been fixed. If I don't hear any feedback by the end of the week, this will be the ZIP I'll upload to /idgames.

Wow, it looks great. If there was a Linux version of ST, I'd actually set up a server.

Argh, two weeks before I get home to an unfirewalled internet.

Put the champagne on ice :(

Looks immense though, I'll run through it by myself.

Crudreams makes me dance in my pants. There's a lot of really great maps in here (I especially like MAP04). Great work. :D

I'll be sure to host a server for this on Skulltag whenever I get around to starting my servers back up.

Exceptional work, every single screenshot looks great. If it plays as good as it looks, then this is one hell of a mapset. I look forward to testing it out sometime over the weekend.

We have GOT to run this wad for FNF! I'll probably also put up a permanent server for it soon!

boris said:

But there are also some really crappy maps in there.

Some maps suffer from the Gothic DM syndrome.

boris said:

But there are also some really crappy maps in there.

:(

Will there be a front page news item? the more people checking for problems/balance issues the better.

AgentSpork said:

(I especially like MAP04)

A man of good taste there.

It's a pretty sweet set of maps in my biased opinion. Even if in some cases only as architectural art. Still I think most maps manage a nice compromise between looks and playability. Frankly they could be masterpieces of refined deathmatch gameplay, and most people would still be playing Dwango5 and Map01.

Thanks to all my fellow mappers, but most of all to Afterglow for putting an ungodly amount of time into the project, and for pushing me to complete my map before the apocalypse.

To be honest, I'm just glad it's over. Now, who's for Crucified Dreams 2?

I've only browsed through the first 15 maps, but holy crap, the architecture is incredible.

Oceansize fan?

AgentSpork said:

(I especially like MAP04)

SO GLAD TO HEAR. AND LOOK, IT'S FINISHED TOO!

/downloading

Here's a patch to fix most of the mapinfo-related issues with Eternity:

http://eternity.mancubus.net/crudrmee.zip

However, due to a hitherto undiscovered bug in the music engine, music for maps 33 through 41 *still* will not work, unless you get the latest SVN version of Eternity. This'll be fixed in the upcoming 3.33.35 maintenance release, but that's probably still a few weeks away at best.

BTW, Eternity may be getting netcode a lot sooner than we all thought ;)

Wow afterglow and the entire team of CD of totally outdone themselves.. these levels are nothing short of amazing..

I love how there's some variety to them too.. They're not just gothic.. there's plenty of techish themed and other levels in there to mix it up. I absolutely can't wait to try this in dm.. I will definitily let u know if i spot any bugs.. Nice work again! The wait was worth it.

PS. The arches through the doorway in map04 go beyond anything that resembles doom.. truly amazing work.

PS2.

One thing i could recommend is making it more difficult to get to the unobstructed exits. A lot of players will run into them by mistake.. such as the exit in map24.. i think it needs some sort of barrier to prevent the player from accidentally triggering the exit. It would be lame if you just got to a new level only to have someone prematurely(if you're playing with lvl exiting on) run into the exit without realizing it..

Just a thought.

After spending like... all night playing this with Afterglow and others I'll give my first impressions of the gameplay.

We only got up until level... 27 was it? I can't remember.. It was really really late at any rate. LOL

The architecture is nothing short of gorgeous - I think that's obvious enough. 10/10 on that front.

The gameplay varies. It's a bit of a pity as to be honest some of the worst maps gameplay wise are the first bunch, so many people might get discouraged after the first few.

Some maps are just pure BFG fest. I have to assume this was intentional however IMHO I think it's a total waste of an absolutely gorgeous map. The BFG needs to be much harder to get in some of the levels and/or outright eliminated. (map17 and map14 come to mind in this particular regard. There are others that aren't much better either.)

Many many many of the maps suffer from cramped hallways. :( I want it to be clear that this is *NOT* a result of "overdetailing" as some morons like to call it. There's no such thing as overdetailing. The hallways were simply made too narrow. They need to be significantly widened. This will *drastically* improve the gameplay on many many levels.

Spammy gameplay. Again on some of the maps (the first few come to mind) if you have 3-4 or god forbid more people in there the gameplay turns to pure rocket/plasma/bfg spam. aka: bad I think that modifying the weapon placement/available weapons could help these maps more. You don't need to put every weapon in every map. It is entirely unnecessary. Flat out eliminate the BFG/plasma from some maps. I think they'll be a lot more fun.

Now that I've said a bunch of really cruel and horrible things I think it's important to say that even with these problems the wad is still amazing. There are some real gems for gameplay. maps 13, and 21 come to mind immediately.

I really really like map11 too but it needs more weapons - maybe an SSG at every spawnpoint or something will prevent the running around with a pistol syndrome.

Many of the maps that suffer from the cramped/spammy gameplay I think would play a *lot* differently 1v1 and would be fantastic duel maps. That being said we only tested them in deathmatch so I don't really know for sure.

At any rate - amazing job Afterglow on the wad. An architectual masterpiece and with some minor changes, most of the levels can have awesome gameplay too.

Th0r said:

What's with maps 98 and 99? were they unfinished or what?

MAP98 was used to make the BOSSBACK graphic lump... otherwise it's just in there because it can. MAP99 is finished, but the snow and cramped hallways make it unplayable, for the most part. It's there for the ambience.

Ah i see. When i looked at the snow map in doombuilder it reminded me of the Hellraiser movies. All the crisscross lines reminded me of Pinhead. :D

Afterglow said:

MAP98 was used to make the BOSSBACK graphic lump... otherwise it's just in there because it can. MAP99 is finished, but the snow and cramped hallways make it unplayable, for the most part. It's there for the ambience.

Man, you should have said "MAP99 was not used because it looked like christmas".