Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

ZDoom 2.1.0 Released

Randy Heit has just released version 2.1.0 2.1.1 of ZDoom. Containing all sorts of enhancements and changes and whatever else has happened since 2.0.96/96x/98/whatever, I'm sure this release will make a lot of people happy.

An official update. This is nothing new if you have kept up with the svn or gzdoom or the community build for that matter. so to most of us, this isn't a big change. To Zdaemon, it makes them look like jackasses. to Skulltag, it will probably delay the 97b release. that is, if he was waiting for this. hopefully he used Gzdoom sources.

This release wasn't rushed but it still isn't truly finished, as there is no polymost. hell, it looks as if it hasn't been touched.

BlackFish said:

I see the community weapons patch and crouching is officially in zdoom now.

ZDoom: Breaking compatability in the name of new, annoying, overused features since 1999.

I'll stick with 1.22 thanks.

AlexMax said:

ZDoom: Breaking compatability in the name of new, annoying, overused features since 1999.

If you don't want features that other people do - tough. If you don't like them, don't use them. But what's the point of moaning about it? There are plenty of options open to you.

Anyway, 1.22 has MLook and jumping, you damned compat breaker you. :P

Crouching? I don't really see the point besides maybe the ability to duck under fireballs (stupid), and making another obstacle for map authors to worry about, instead of just jumping.

Guilty as charged. :)

I find it enhances gameplay greatly - if a map is set up for it. It's not just ducking under fireballs, it's finding cover, it's creeping through claustrophobic places or sneaking under low barriers. No more need for 64 unit tall ventilation ducts that a six footer can "crawl" through whilst standing tall*. OK, perhaps for stock Doom and Doom-feel maps it is pretty redundant, but why not have it? No-one is forced to use it, but if used wisely it enhances fun. It's not as if almost every FPS since Dark Forces (maybe something before that?) hasn't had it. There must be some value in it. It has certainly been requested many times over the years on the ZDoom Forums.

If map authors really are "worrying" about it: more fool them. They should either make their map without intending crouching to be allowed, and say so in the text, or add crouch related features and have fun with them. If people want to abuse a map when they play it: so what?

*I avoided using the term "fully errect". I'm so proud of myself. Dammit, failed at the last hurdle. ;)

kristus said:

Jumping and Crouching should be triggered through a command in the Mapinfo IMO.

They are. Although it's on by default. If you don't want that create an autoexec.cfg in your ZDoom directory which contains

set sv_nojump 1
set sv_nocrouch 1
I did that for crouching as well because most maps don't need it.

Scuba Steve said:

Holy Fucking Shit! Is Mordeth Coming out tomorrow too?

Sorry man, I think Mordeth died somewhere between today and last February.

someone did sprites for a crouching marine?

I agree with crouching in game, as it happens. Just feels better to dive behind a pile of boxes to avoid fire. Duke 3D was so much fun because of the leaping and ducking you could do in it. I don't think it really made a damn bit of difference to your survival rate, but damn it felt fun.

AlexMax said:

I'll stick with 1.22 thanks.

I think v1.22 has that serious height changing bug, where floors/ceilings would move continuously even if there's something blocking them. So avoid it.

Gotta check v2.1 but... doesn't it make crouching against missiles too easy a game? It's almost unfair to the monsters :|

OMG!!! Zdoom reads pk3 (zip) files. Just like Doom 3. Which means that: DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 meet DOOM 3! Amazing. Even more amazing is that the piece of art was finished yesterday!

Kaiser said:

whats so great about open gl in doom?
Doom and open gl don't mix

I used to think like that. It took years for me to be won over. All too often IMO, OpenGL just looked like a blurry mess in Doom. However, GZDoom and other good ports have changed my mind. So many good features come with it and when I play in software mode I find the sharp pixels and the limited colours hurt my eyes.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Quick stupid question: Does this have OpenGl or do I still need to stick to GZDoom for that?

Christ, you got ZdoomGL, GZdoom and soon also Skulltag. Isn't that enough?

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Quick stupid question: Does this have OpenGl or do I still need to stick to GZDoom for that?

Is it that bad to have more than one port exe on your hard drive at once? Yes, you will most likely always have to stick with GZDoom.

And also: Is it that hard to run ZDoom and check yourself?

If I remember correctly, there are definitions that you can place in a MAPINFO lump that will always [even if the player turns them on] disable things such as jumping, crouching, falling damage, limited air, etc... Given this fact, there's no reason to dislike ZDoom soley on the basis that it includes these features.

Enjay said:

If you don't want features that other people do - tough. If you don't like them, don't use them. But what's the point of moaning about it? There are plenty of options open to you.

You have to understand, I'm an advocate of standards. In Quake, you have two very established standards, Quake and Quakeworld. Pretty much the only thing I have to worry about is demo compatability, and even then there are two clear choices.

What standards are there in ZDoom? It seems like ZDoom is simply a mishmesh of things that randy thought would be cool to add, without thinking about how hard these features would be to add for other source ports. Why should I, as an end user, have to install three or four different doom ports simply to play maps or demos that are only compatable with xyz port. Or hell, why do I need three or four different versions of ZDoom?

To me, ZDoom's recent development has personified selfish feature creep without reguard for how the fuck anyone else is supposed to catch up. And somehow it emerges as this ubiquitus standard when it can't even keep map or demo compatability from version to version. That, plus the egos involved with various major projects has really put a sour taste in my mouth reguarding ZDoom as a whole.

And before you get all offended and come up with your brilliant rebuttle, no, I DON'T think that source ports of a game should all be endless clones of each other. Look at Quake. You have tons of source ports for both protocools that are different enough to differentiate between then. Yet you don't have the absurd incompatability that's rife in ZDoom.

Ebon said:

I think v1.22 has that serious height changing bug, where floors/ceilings would move continuously even if there's something blocking them. So avoid it.

Thanks. I've been considering trying another source port after my most recent format, just another incentive I guess. :)

EDIT:

Kaiser said:

whats so great about open gl in doom?
Doom and open gl don't mix

OpenGL would take some of the weight of rendering the game off of the CPU and onto the graphics card. Problem is, you're probably thinking of Doom OpenGL ports where all the textures and especially the sptires are blurred to all fuck. Kind of like Quake 2 was. With proper settings, they look great and sharp.

While I don't necessarily agree with your opinion of ZDoom, some of your complaints are valid.

If you want additional editing features, without the loss of Doom2.exe demo compatability or the addition of things such as jumping or crouching, than perhaps you should try The Eternity Engine.

Doom_user said:

If you want additional editing features, without the loss of Doom2.exe demo compatability or the addition of things such as jumping or crouching, than perhaps you should try The Eternity Engine.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.

Doom_user said:

While I don't necessarily agree with your opinion of ZDoom, some of your complaints are valid.

I've been considering trying Eternity Engine again. However, when I tried it last, it seemed to skip frames every so often where it shouldn't. Plus I don't think that 3.33.33 supports 960x600 in a window yet.

I'll probably go that way too. It was either that or prBoom. And yeah, eternirty has its own share of unique features, but at least they're well documented, plus Quasar is good about collaberating with other developers.