Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

How to alter the color of a texture

I am making a level based on the mansion from Resident Evil. There is a texture I like called "Marble3", but I wonder how I can modify the color so I can have a dark blue Marble3 as well as a green one. What is a good editing program used to change the color of Doom/Doom2 textures? If so, can you tell me the steps to changing the color of what I want? Thanks.

peach freak said:

I am making a level based on the mansion from Resident Evil. There is a texture I like called "Marble3", but I wonder how I can modify the color so I can have a dark blue Marble3 as well as a green one. What is a good editing program used to change the color of Doom/Doom2 textures? If so, can you tell me the steps to changing the color of what I want? Thanks.

You're in luck! There's already a texture pack containing lots of recolored Doom/Doom2 textures. You can find it here: http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml

You can recolor them by using XWE, that recolored doom texture pack doesn't have a blue or green marble3 version.
It does have red and gray versions of the marble3 textures.

I suggest using a decent image editing program to do your recoloring. You'll probably get a much nicer result than doing and 'closest match' algorithm. I suggest the GIMP, and also doing a Doomworld forum search for "GIMP", as I remember posting a palette file for Doom a long time ago.

I got GIMP. And once I tried editing the color, but when I saved as a .bmp and loaded it into XWE, it looked all weird. My guess is that it's not one of the 256 colors supported by Doom. How can I make it 256 color modem or something in GIMP so I can find the closest dark blue that Doom will hold without a problem?

I don't know how The GIMP does it, but it must be an option somewhere...

Export a graphic from Doom2.wad as a BMP. Load it into The GIMP, save the palette, then load that palette into any graphics you want to mess with.

OR you could use a port, like GZDoom, where graphics are not limited to the original 256 colours.