Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ebon

What has scared you the most in video games?

What has scared you in video games to such an extent to induce either nightmares or persistent fears?

The things that freaked me a lot were those hanging tongues in HalfLife. I unsuspectedly thought they were hanging cables/ropes. But when I saw those mouths... OMG!! 8O
I haven't played too much HL sure, but those horrors keep flashing in my mind...

aliens vs predator, the whole damn marine scenario.

specially the face huggers. that noise they made, you could hear them, couldn't see them in the dark and you were freaking out because they were instakill.

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Thanks to the Slimers in Duke Nukem 3D, I cannot finish several levels in the game. Those things just freak me out so much that I quit a level as soon as I see one. I remember going through the levels with the Build Editor trying to remove them all just so I can enjoy the levels.

Ebon said:

What has scared you in video games to such an extent to induce either nightmares or persistent fears?

The price tag.

Ebon said:

Yeah, the fact that I haven't found a good game in 4 years.

Seriously, the vulnerable feeling I get in Wolf3D, and the Redead in Zelda 64.

Belial said:

That dude's chest hair is made of letters.

When I was younger, it was being killed by the Medusa and Don Medusa in the Adventures of Lolo series... just for the sudden shock of being caught by them (especially when I don't even notice a Medusa was in the level before being tagged by one, yikes!)

I used to play DOOM on my old Sony 1. I'd sit real close to the RGB monitor, and put on some near sound proof head phones with lots of bass, and turn off all the lights.

This did it for me quite well!

Also the story line in the Half-Life series is pretty damn creepy too. :)

Any of the Fatal Frame series never failed to scare the crap out of me. I'm talking about the goose bumps while playing the game in daylight type of scary. Don't even get me started on playing it at night.

Alien vs. Predator for the Jaguar. That game was such a goddamned freak fest. Was as dark as Doom3, the enemies were spaced out so tension built before battle, the ambient sounds of banging and such, and the enemy sounds (you could hear "over hear" and knew you were being stalked by a predator, although it wouldn't attack you for a good 5 minutes) freaky shit man.

Also, Silent Hill 2 still gets me. *shudder* fucking pyramid head.

For those that never played Jaguar though, the story for AVP was your human ship was docked by an alien vessel and a predator vessel on either side. You of course, asides from exploring the human ship, you also get to explore the alien and predator ships too... very tense situations ensue. kimdonebye

One of the spookiest games I've ever played was Corridor 7. All those damn dark hallways and ugly ass aliens kept me on edge.

The bruisers and trites in Doom 3 both freak the hell out of me. I think the trites do because I'm so afraid of spiders. I'm not sure why the bruisers do. Come to think of it, many areas of Doom 3 gave me a good scare...but yeah, the trites still give me the creeps.

Other than that, though, not many games have genuinely scared me. There were a few things in Resident Evil that did, like the hunters and gremlins, but it felt more suspensful than scary.

DJ_Haruko said:

...a few things in Resident Evil that did, like the hunters and gremlins, but it felt more suspensful than scary.

Well put, same here.

OH ya, I can't forget.

The original Alone in the Dark (screw you Res Evil you lame excuse of a horror story), and of corse Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Silent Hill.

Playing the game at night, alone in the middle of a rainstorm after watching Jacob's Ladder.

As in making love, sometimes it's not what you do or who you do it with, is the how and where.

I'm going to start SH4 tonight. Weather forecast talks about rain tonight.

doom3 didn't scare me at all because they went publicity nuts with screenshots. Great way of spoiling it thanks.

The slow but deadly degrade of quality in the Sonic franchise kept me up a few nights. The recurring nightmare of me paying full price for Sonic Heroes still occurs.

My nightmare is having purchased three games recently for my PC, but can't play them because it crashes every single time. The games are: Fear, Serious Sam 2, and Condemned Criminal Origins.

Jokes aside...
I was always scared shitless of the Octabrains in Duke Nukem, I never finished Episode 2 because of the Octabrain abundance.

leileilol said:

JOIN THE MANY

THE MANY ARE STRONG

I'M...SORRY... *THWACK*

The first time I played I actually jumped when one ran up behind me and started yelling ERRR...KILL MEEEE and started laying into me with his pipe.

baronofhell said:

My nightmare is having purchased three games recently for my PC, but can't play them because it crashes every single time. The games are: Fear, Serious Sam 2, and Condemned Criminal Origins.

I have that problem with Half-Life 2: Episode One. I can't even play the game because it freezes up and crashes my whole computer during the intro cutscene. I only paid $9 for it at Circuit City, so it's not really a big deal.

Alboroto said:

...after watching Jacob's Ladder.

Jacob's Ladder had some really creepy scenes for sure.

Alboroto said:

I'm going to start SH4 tonight. Weather forecast talks about rain tonight.

SH4 had one hell of an eerie start (call the number you see on the billboard outside your apartment...) but it seemed more action packed than scary unfortunately.