Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Resurrected Dreams

On the heels of the release of the resources of one TC from the distant past comes the release of a deathmatch project eight years in the making: Crucified Dreams. Afterglow has finished messing about with the project for the time being, but asks for feedback in order to revise it within the next few weeks.

Yay. will be playing this.

edit: that help screen disturbs me. change that please. :(

edit2: A lot of fake slopes in there. you can make those fake slopes really sloped in zdoom by changing flags, without breaking mbf ports, you know. ;)

I noticed some areas where the slopes even kill my framerate due to the large amounts of sidedefs/sectors. It might be better at low resolutions, but I didn't bother to try (besides, this is Doom, it should run smooth at high resolutions these days). Other than that, theres some nice maps in there!

I had no issues with slowdowns from the slopes. But then again, I didn't have issues with slowdowns with the snow in map99 either. :p

the snow seems meh, cant that uhm, oh yeah, slide down like real snow? this is boom/mbf compatible. and that'd look better imo.

Running through those maps makes me want to load up my editor and do more stuff with the classic DOOM engine.

Even with an engine this old, and maps that are in some cases from 8 years ago, they still look awesome.

I see the Mordeth award will be closely contested this year. Then again Eternity wasnt actually a finished product...

deathbringer said:

I see the Mordeth award will be closely contested this year. Then again Eternity wasnt actually a finished product...

Mordeth award is going to millennium when lut finishes it before dnf :o

BlackFish said:

Mordeth award is going to millennium when lut finishes it before dnf :o

... in 2017.

I find sweet soothing relief in the fact that there is no way I could possible not get the Mordeth reward, no matter what else gets released that year :)

Mordeth said:

I find sweet soothing relief in the fact that there is no way I could possible not get the Mordeth reward, no matter what else gets released that year :)

But once it is, then there'll be the Mordeth Episode 3 award. :(

Mordeth said:

I find sweet soothing relief in the fact that there is no way I could possible not get the Mordeth reward

Unless Mordeth simply never gets released, of course.

Good job afterglow with the project! I have always liked the maps you make. I would like to take those custom gothic textures and use them for my deathmatch remake for vavoom. I'm using the old gothictx.wad

These maps are really nice. You have to check out map 4 it looks so beautiful.
There is this area where you can look through a door that just opened a little bit and you see this room full of arches. I just had to idclip through to see how they did it.
The arches are fake, but they look so convincing it's great.
Alot of the map do have a little bit too much eight difference for my liking, but with 42 maps or something everyone is bound to find a few they love.

This entire set (41 fucking maps) is pure detail whorage. See: Map12. Who has time to do this shit?

Fiend said:

This entire set (41 fucking maps) is pure detail whorage. See: Map12. Who has time to do this shit?

A thinly disguised personal assault on the authors just because it doesn't meet your requirements for a good WAD. Well that's constructive. Who had time to do it? Clearly the authors did, but it was hardly an overnight build. If your life is just so packed with valuable things to do that you are mystified as to who might have enough time to detail a map because they enjoy doing so, what are you doing spending time trolling on an internet forum for a 12 year old game? Surely you have something more pressing to do?

Enjay said:

A thinly disguised personal assault on the authors just because it doesn't meet your requirements for a good WAD. Well that's constructive. Who had time to do it? Clearly the authors did, but it was hardly an overnight build. If your life is just so packed with valuable things to do that you are mystified as to who might have enough time to detail a map because they enjoy doing so, what are you doing spending time trolling on an internet forum for a 12 year old game? Surely you have something more pressing to do?

You're right. In fact, at the moment I find trolling more important. I'm going to spend eight years trolling and by 2014, I will make beautifully elaborate trolling posts that still, underneath, are personal attacks. Beef-witted applejohn!

By the way tardstick, using the "why are you discussing a 12 year-old-game" shit is cliched.

Fiend said:

By the way tardstick, using the "why are you discussing a 12 year-old-game" shit is cliched.

Do you mean clichéd?

Already? But it's only been 12 years old for 6 months!

Crucified Dreams version 1.1 has been uploaded and I appreciate any server admins to update their respective machines to run this version instead. Many of the spamming issues caused by lackadaisical item placement have been fixed. If I don't hear any feedback by the end of the week, this will be the ZIP I'll upload to /idgames.

It's Telefragged... maybe they could actually give DW hosted sites access to 3D Downloads so people wouldn't have to download from their brutal http. It'll be up in /idgames early next week if you want to wait.

This levelset feels very similar to another GothicDM release. Layoutwise, they're inventive. But true to the Gothic legacy, it suffers from a couple of things:

1. Overdetailing. Running into a piece of scenery is not cool, and most of the maps look too 'busy', for lack of a better term. I liked Gothic1 because it didn't have too much detail in it, but it still looked great. CD is a little excessive.
2. Too many symmetrical 'filler' levels. Why are there 41 levels when you could have removed the filler and wound up with a nice round 32 level pack.

It'll do fine in a FFA map rotation. I personally don't see myself playing it too often, but it's still a decent mapset.

Afterglow: Are you planning on trying a CTF or SP mapping project? The amount of detail you use in your maps would look great in a SP map, and i like the inventive layouts you come up with, which would work fantasticly in CTF gameplay.