Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leileilol

Quake = ten

Ichor said:

And Team Fortress is still the best mod ever.

Hear, hear. God, if TF didn't exist... I'd have a life and stuff. Screw that.

Captain Red said:

Yes. May all three of my Nentendo 64s Rest In Peace.

*Captain Red boots up his playstation that is STILL WORKING JUST FINE.

I've kinda have the opposite: I've had to replace my PS2 after having it repaired once yet my Mega Drive still lives after 12 years.

leileilol said:

ANYONE WHO PUTS A NUMBER IN THE TITLE OF THE FIRST GAME FAILS IT

Relax, there's no reason to cry all over your CRT monitor and wired keyboard.

Hear that? It's the world's smallest acoustic violin playing just for you. Better yet: have some silver currency so you can pick up a rotary phone and call someone who cares.

leileilol said:

As soon as I'm done playing Quake 1 I'm gonna go watch some Star Trek: The Original Series.

Happy bday Quake! I don't love it as much I did back then, but I keep some good memories of playing some great matches over the net or against my friends on LAN. And those mods, they just kicked my ass around. I remember waiting months in a row for Quake Rally to come out, or the insane Omnibots that came with Killer Quake Pack. Ah, the nostalgia.

leileilol said:

Their skill is not enough

Amazing, isn't it? No big celebration and instead mostly indifference. I haven't touched Quake 1 for more than 5 years now, quite unlike Doom...

Uh yeah imagine that ON A DOOM BOARD. The Quake community is still going, don't worry.

leileilol said:

actually, those who call 'DOOM3' 'DOOM' fail it... or 'q2dm2' 'dm2'... or 'Unreal Tournament' 'uht'... or...

Mancubus II said:

The Quake community is still going, don't worry.

Quake 1? Really? Where? I shall switch.

QuakeTF was fun. Duh uh... Doom is teh ownage! Yeah, those peeps need to relax.

Bucket said:

Relax, there's no reason to cry all over your CRT monitor and wired keyboard.

Hear that? It's the world's smallest acoustic violin playing just for you. Better yet: have some silver currency so you can pick up a rotary phone and call someone who cares.

This is me laughing hysterically :D

Hear that? It's the world's smallest acoustic violin playing just for you

Actually its a MIDI file of the worlds smallest acoustic violin

Ah, I've had many good times playing the old QUAKE. I have many fond memories of the first time I faced (and figured out how to kill) Zombies, the first time I encountered the Fiend, and the time I nearly crapped my pants when I first encountered the mighty Shambler, and how amazed I was that I managed to kill him.

Good times.

There are very few games that can compare to Quake's jumbled, juxtaposed, 50% by accident art direction. The hellish, the lovecraftian, the industrial, the eyeless enemies, the sheer hostility and alien nature of each realm.

Something is very very right in that game. Even with its painfully jarring substandard graphics by now, its one of those games where the surroundings feel like feverish, menacing fragments of an unpleasant dream, and not just textures slapped to geometry. I don't know if this is because QUAKE comes from the pre-jaded gamer era, but I try to be openminded about games. I managed to like many things of critically bombarded FPSs like Blood2, Shogo, Daikatana, etc.

No matter how great some scenes in more recent games look, I never quite get that same feeling of inadequacy and danger spawn from those purple, parallaxing clouds over mossy ruins taunting me with their elder runewords and pareidolial demon-faces.

What killed Quake for me was those damn Ogres.

while( true )
{
  if( player.InSight )
  {
    ShootGrenade();
  }
}
The bounce and explosion noise was so overpowering that I got a headache everytime I met one of them, especially when they were stuck on some stupid platform where their grenades never reached you... but they kept on firing, and firing, and firing...

I guess more than my beef with those idiots was the ramping up of enemy toughness. With Quake they couldn't fill the levels with packs of weak enemies like in Doom, so they made up for it by boosting their hitpoints. It made the game a lot slower and quite tedious.