Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

homosexuality declared no longer a mental disorder

You mean all this time they still considered it an illness and not a sexual preference? Doctor Quinn's rolling in her grave.

AndrewB said:

Next up: Declare lefthandedness no physical disorder

The way the world's set up to cater to righties, we might as well be disabled.

I read the thread title and was confused, knowing that the APA hasn't considered homosexuality a mental disorder since the 80's. Apparently the government hasn't quite caught up yet.

If my memory isn't playing me a trick, homosexuality became a sexual preference and not a mental disorder on Psy books around 1989.

Alboroto said:

If my memory isn't playing me a trick, homosexuality became a sexual preference and not a mental disorder on Psy books around 1989.

there are still some doctors in the south that call it a disorder. then again, the south is slow to change. remember, we're still known for the 1960's. Shame.

This IS the same government that wants to deface the constitution with a discriminatory amendment; of course they haven't caught up.

I love how long it takes for the official government standings to change. This isn't so bad though, still took under 20 years... The best is how long it takes them to change laws.

I remember it was still law in Alberta to give you a horse and a gun when you are released from jail, so you can ride out of town. :p

I figure they just need to change their official stance on homosexuality before they institute the draft. Can't have 20,000 men showing up and claiming 'gay' status just to get out of duty with some sort of 'get out of jail gay' card. The military has already kicked out some 3000 or so odd soldiers since 2000 for violating the 'Don't ask Don't tell' policy.

so I guess the "Klinger defense" isn't gonna work anymore. oh well, I'm too old to be drafted anyway, so it don't bother me.

Many psychologist considered it a variant of the sexual function, and not a desease, even before 1920.

Why would it be so problematic to consider it a mental disorder? Many completely normal things are basically mental disorders. Shit, you have Psy books classifying us as either neurotic, psychotic or perverse. Notice the lack of "normal".

Homosexuality can be traced back to certain parenting traits and flaws, just like anything else really. I'd call it just as much of a mental disorder as the incapacity to shit with your shirt on. We don't persecute and erradicate people for getting naked in the bathroom, nor for a little SM, or because they don't get along with their mother, or because they arrange their pencils from shortest to longest. And neither should we give a flying fuck about homosexuality.

It's very very interesting how in the past of the world and ecspecially in America, how science has been used to deceive people into blindly supporting a cause, such as the concept that the black race is inferior.
What's even more ironic is the fact that we've pierced through these scientific bluffs years and years ago, yet the White Man's Burden still burns strongly in our hearts and minds even though we may not even be concious of this.

ANyhow, here's a related vid I'm sure you all will get a kick out of:

http://www.archive.org/details/boys_beware

There is supposed to be some old videos from the 50's that warned young girls away from Lesbian practices too, but unfortunatly I can not locate them at this time.

The Scientific belief that any race or individual outside the etablished race are "inferior" is called Eugenics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

This is what the White Man was using for genocidal extermination and enslavement of other "inferior" races (American Indians, Abriginals, Africans, etc)...Eugentics was also a nazi favored scientific "fact" aswell....

Nightmare Doom said:

The Scientific belief that any race or individual outside the etablished race are "inferior" is called Eugenics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

This is what the White Man was using for genocidal extermination and enslavement of other "inferior" races (American Indians, Abriginals, Africans, etc)...Eugentics was also a nazi favored scientific "fact" aswell....

what does that have to do with gay people

Zaldron said:

Why would it be so problematic to consider it a mental disorder? Many completely normal things are basically mental disorders.

Like having Blond hair and Blue eyes.

Scuba Steve said:

Like having Blond hair and Blue eyes.

The hyperbole would entail homosexuality has a genetic link. There is no definitive proof, and the subject is too deep and complex for me to armchair analyze it. Prenatal hormonal distribution can explain many sexual identification disorders, but no clear correlation exists with homosexuality incidende, having opposing cases add up to the same. It's even more and more common as you advance through the evolutionary scale, suggesting a connection to complexity (or existence) of the central nervous system.

Object of desire decision just feels like something learnt from your surroundings. I'm pretty sure there are biological factors that chime in, but I believe it's an unconscious choice constructed by experience.

Zaldron, obviously genetics plays some factor in homosexuality, to what degree no one can say. Homosexuality has been observed in hundreds of animal species, and I'm not sure, besides humans, what animals have learned behavior for homosexuality. You're right that, for the most part, homosexuality is not well understood, but too many factors point to genetic or biological elements to homosexuality. If it were strictly a learned behavior that you could change, I don't understand why people would chose to be subject to humiliation and denigration.

leileilol said:

what does that have to do with gay people

part of eugenics is getting rid of the undesirables so that those that are superior would flourish. nazis collected, experimented and exterminated homosexuals because they were considered inferior. there are those in the conservative/religious right believe that gays are an abomination and the world would be better off without their corruption. thats why theres this big drive to outlaw gay marriage and rights.

heh, the more you debate(not you guys) a common sense type of thing, the more stupid we all become.
Whatever floats your boat.