Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

blocking sound and gunfire switches

Two niggly problems:

Is there a linedef action that would make it so that once you shoot the linedef it will open a door? IE. raise the cieling height... It appears there is one to raise the floor height but this is no good.

There is a flag that means when you fire your weapon it opens the door but doesn't require you to actually shoot any particular linedef.

Also, I want to make it that monsters in another room (separated by a corridor) can not hear any gunfire that happens in the current room. There are linedefs set to block sound at every conceivable place, but they keep waking up and wander out of the room. I don't want to have to make them deaf.

Cheers.

for you first question; i don't think there is, at least, i never saw any. never had to use them. i may not be much of a help there.

however i may be able to help with your block sound problem. i tried the block sound feature and the same thing happened no matter which way the linedef was facing. so i had to use the deaf feature, just as an experiment. it worked the way i would assume the block sound feature would, where the monsters rely only on direct line of sight. the funny thing is that the ones that weren't facing my direction reacted to my presence as well. best i can say is, try it and see what happens.

i hope this helps

Bloodshedder said:
"Block sound" lines must be used in pairs; i.e. you need two to truly block sound.

Correct. Say you have a corridor made up of sectors A -> B -> C, and you want the sound of a shot fired in A not to reach monsters' ears in C, you need to flag the linedef between A & B and B & C.

Another (bad) example: A1 -> B -> C -> D -> A2, with A1/B and B/C tagged and A being split into a left and right part. When you fire a shot in the leftmost A, it will still be heard in C because the sound also travels from the rightmost A to C uninpeded.

"Deaf" monsters in DOOM aren't really supposed to be deaf. They're actually just "ambush" monsters, and the game engine calls the flag "MTF_AMBUSH" in the source. Ambush things have an odd side effect in that they can see 360 degrees instead of 180 like normal monsters. It can look like a bug at times but is supposed to be a feature.

Mordeth said:

Correct. Say you have a corridor made up of sectors A -> B -> C, and you want the sound of a shot fired in A not to reach monsters' ears in C, you need to flag the linedef between A & B and B & C.

Another (bad) example: A1 -> B -> C -> D -> A2, with A1/B and B/C tagged and A being split into a left and right part. When you fire a shot in the leftmost A, it will still be heard in C because the sound also travels from the rightmost A to C uninpeded.

There are no monsters in the corridor and I have two linedefs blocking the sound in that corridor. The first linedef is at the entrance of the corridor and the second is just as you exit the corrdior and go into the room were the monsters are.

I even added a third in the middle of the corridor but didn't help.