Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
insertwackynamehere

Eon8

Yeah I was pretty interested a few hours ago. I was going to make a thread but I figured you'd do it so why bother.

I bet the guy who made the ytmnd made the site too, just to be cool.

OMG! OMG! OMG! It's like watching Lost!

Spoiler

or the simpsons episode where they find an 'angel' but it's really a publicity stunt

My guess is it's a publicity stunt choreographed by HostGator, since the IP owner information is linked to their owner. Or maybe it's just a customer of HostGator, which is odd because it apparently sucks.

http://www.eon8.com/deployed21b.php

{eon8} Complete

As of July 1st, 2006, the E8 Project has completed.
The purpose of this project was to determine the reactions of the internet public to lack of information.

History

The domain eon8.com was chosen, as it is short, easily remembered, and eon9 was already registered.
It was originally posted on msfn.org, but was promptly removed as 'spam'. It was enough time for it to be copied to other forums throughout December 2005.

Results

We were amazed to discover that the site was instantly linked with terrorism, simply for the fact that it seems mysterious. Evil was the number one first impression people had of the site, in spite of the fact that there are no threats on the site. The only thing Eon 8 says is "We don't want you here". Nothing else.

Other less disappointing opinions were social experimentation (which was correct), James Bond movie viral marketing, and promotions for video games.
For many people, being faced with a countdown timer was an instant reason to try to shut down or hack the site. This is a worrying reaction, that if someone doesn't understand something they must destroy it. As a result, the servers have been hit quite hard these last few days, but luckily 99% of the 'hackers' could easily be described as 'l4me n00bs'.

Another worrying example of paranoia was how quickly people would jump to conclusions, such as telephoning the registered owner of a dog seen in a photograph on a server that hosts a page that links to eon8.

Surprises

The folks at Unfiction.com were the most resourceful and inventive, they successfully managed to decrypt several of the 'codes' on the site, forcing them to be re-encrypted using more secure methods.
FAQ

it goes on like that, go read it

Well, that was amusing, seeing everyone suddenly get paranoid about some fake hoax site on the net.

heh

First ive heard of it, been watching football and Doctor Who (Daleks AND Cybermen! its gonna get nasty!) on TV instead.

It's eon8.com.

However eon9.com actually is kind of creepy.