Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Enjay

Eye of the Beholder - more possible?

A couple, maybe more, years ago I asked for support for the Eye of the Beholder games and you kindly added it. I've had fun ripping a few bits and pieces out of the games, although very little has made it to any kind of release (my recently released Thief based Heretic wad uses a few pickup sprites).

Anyway, a large number of the graphics from the game can be accessed using XWE: enemy sprites, pickups, inventory items, some full screen pictures and trimming for walls, like switches and borders. However, the basic wall textures that line most of the dungeons, and which the trimmings would normally be superimposed on in game can't be found from what I can tell.

Any chance you could take a look at EOB (1 & 2 in particular) if you ever get a spare moment and see if the wall textures can be done too?

Oh, and whilst I'm at it, around the same time you tried to get XWE to be able to extract graphics from the old Alien Trilogy FPS. IIRC you got as far as being able to find and read the graphics up to a point, but not manage to decode them (so they only appeared as a mess of pixels). I don't suppose you fancy another look there too?

I expect a "no" but there's no harm in asking, right? ;)

I'm adding this to my todo long list. I will take another look, but I was pretty thorough the first couple of times. Especially Alien Trilogy: I came to the conclusion that the bytes must be some kind of custom compression, 'cause they just didn't want to look even remotely right no matter how I tried to interpret them.

OK, well being on a long to do list is better than a no. :) I hope you get a chance to get around to it sometime. Thanks for your work on XWE.

Good news, I found and corrected a bug in the CPS image format display. If you grab the latest beta, almost every image file will display correctly, looks like the walls are there. For EOB3, the walls were already available, they are usually index 9 and 19 in the list of multiple images.

Thanks very much. A number of the graphics that were not being read properly before can now be seen. Unfortunately, the plain walls are still not available (in EOB1 and 2 - I've not got round to 3 yet). I've no idea where these walls might be located. XWE seems to read every cps file but "all" I find in them is sprites, details for walls (buttons, doors, locks etc) and other misc graphics but no plain walls. So, I'm guessing they are somehow tied in to the files where the actual level structure or something is held. :/

Something else I noticed... With EOB2, if I loaded a palette file, then loaded a CPS file afterwards, the CPS file would be displayed as a palette too. To get round this, I loaded all the PAL files into XWE, saved them as XWE's palette format and then used them that way for inspecting the CPS files. This problem did not present itself in EOB1.