Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bob the hellspawn

That Scrolling Face-Wall Thingy

Back when I was still a Christian, the Hell levels freaked me out, what with the screaming faces and tortured bodies and rivers of blood :P

probably somthing made up, but then again it could very well be some of the crew members, who helped make the game. and their faces were warped to make the disired texture. how they would have gotten their faces into the computer is beyond me, so i would have to say they made them up.

Quasar said:

Back when I was still a Christian, the Hell levels freaked me out, what with the screaming faces and tortured bodies and rivers of blood :P

FULL OF SHIT

One of the faces are smiling. kinda funny.

I thought one was supposed to hit the bullseye (that one smiling mouth) to activate the bridge in E2M4.

Good work Bank.

Ebon said:

Good work Bank.

I don't think it is his own work. It is the SP_FACE1 texture from the Freedoom project if I remember correctly.

bob the hellspawn said:

What the heck was that supposed to be??? I remember it kinda scared me.

When I saw that texture first time we have a party. I have a lot of friends with me and I played DooM with Ultra Violence level and because it was night, we were a tired. So when we see that texture we all started laught and we couldn't stop it.

Um, its a scrolling texture of the faces of tortured souls, and thats it.

Amazing what we have threads about here.

On a related note: How come AASHITTY and a couple of other textures never show up in the texture browser of any editor I've ever used?

Bloodshedder said:

The first texture in the list (AASHITTY or AASTINKY) means the same thing as no texture (-) when applied to a line.

On DB AASHITTY is a heads on blood. (I have been saw it on DooM2 level suburbs)

JonTTu111 said:

AASHITTY (I have been saw it on DooM2 level suburbs)

That's another texture, it's probly called SP_FACE2.

AASHITTY does show up in the texture browser of Wadauthor, i was annoyed when it didnt in Doombuilder...

And i put a scrolling face wall in 666hell.wad, which bob has been having little luck running, except that texture doesnt tile vertically in EDGE for some reason, which makes it look a bit odd

You know, the scrolling face-wall thingy would make for a fine screensaver. Is anybody willing to do so/point me to a program I can use to do it myself?

It's a bug actually, that AASTINKY/AASHITTY thing. id Software knew about it too, as evidenced simply by the texture's name. id's texture creator always sorts the textures by alphabetical order, so they gave the "bad" texture that always needed to be first a name starting with AA to force it to be at index 0.

The entire problem could have been avoided simply by shifting up the texture lookup array by 1 index.

Tragically, this bug also caused another bug in the linedefs that raise floors by the shortest lower texture: in Vanilla, if any texture around the sector is blank, the sector will rise to the height of AASTINKY/AASHITTY instead of the one you intended because they just sorta KINDA forgot by the time they wrote that code that index 0 is supposed to mean no texture when used on a line.

printz said:

That's another texture, it's probly called SP_FACE2.

No on DB it called AASHITY something. (If I had a program what can take a screenshots on windows I would show it to you.)

Ebon said:

Good work Bank.

Taint mine. That's the freedoom scroll wall.

JonTTu111 said:

On DB AASHITTY is a heads on blood. (I have been saw it on DooM2 level suburbs)

I'm sure I've used that texture in one map or more. When I used DEU, it was an ugly brownish-red texture with vertical tan stripes. I think it was 64 x 16.

JonTTu111 said:

(If I had a program what can take a screenshots on windows I would show it to you.)

PrintScr + Paint