Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Do you like big ammo levels?

Do you like levels where you're given lots of plasma and rockets (like episode 4?) I do, because -fast monsters are always dangerous.

no
I don't like levels where you're given weapons and ammo. I prefer to work my way to get some. And nobody likes lots of ammo. Hear me? NOBODY LIKES IT!

Bullshit, lots of ammo/health is great when the map provides a sufficient challenge, see Deus Vult or HR2 map32.

I like the original DSV, you get piles and piles of shells, and tons of enemies, and you just go wading on in with the SSG. My "Ultimate Hell" wad will be similar to that, just with more detailed levels (though not by much) and some extra weapons

Belial said:

Bullshit, lots of ammo/health is great when the map provides a sufficient challenge, see Deus Vult or HR2 map32.

ellmo is always right and you know it :P

And the question is flawed. There needs to be a balance of ammo always, whether that be large amounts of ammo or small amounts of ammo.

Yes, if only because of all the times that it ends up taking two (or even three from long range when bullets aren't around) shells to destroy those pesky imps and chaingunners that every level is full of.

I don't like having an abundance of ammo, though. It kills the excitement of opening a wall to find a few boxes of rockets behind it. :(

Not, really. I agree with HobbsTiger1 as too much ammo pretty much kills off the fun. Especially with too much cells and a BFG around.

I always try to balance ammo and monsters, so that you have got enough of the former to kill all your enemies. Usually in secret areas I put power-ups or heavy weapons (like BFG), which can make level a little easier.

Belial is right; in wads like Dues Volt, it's necessary to have copious amounts of ammo, because even then you're struggling somewhat due to the overwhelming amount of enemies trying to burn your ass to a crisp. However, in more "normal" wads (as much as I enjoyed DV, I think the monster count was downright nutty), I like ammo to be moderately scarce, because it gives me a nice challenge, forcing me to conserve and aim carefully. One sign of an amatuer map author is giving the player way too much ammo and not nearly enough enemies, something I certainly don't enjoy. I guess the point of my rant is, big ammo levels are fun if the ammo to enemy ratio is good.

my personal preference is to have LOTS of 'little' ammo like shells but sparse amounts of big ammo(rockets, plasma).... with lots and lots of enemies.
not having enough ammo is a huge map-design flaw IMHO.

Opulent said:

my personal preference is to have LOTS of 'little' ammo like shells but sparse amounts of big ammo(rockets, plasma).... with lots and lots of enemies.
not having enough ammo is a huge map-design flaw IMHO.

I agree with you: it's a good "philosophy"! ;)

I like maps where ammo isnt as easy to come by. Makes the level feel more like a decent level rather than a blast fest.

I'm more in favor of large supplies of shotgun shells and bullets. The hitscan weapons aren't too overpowered and help in most skirmishes unless, maybe, you're facing off against hoards of arachnotrons or chaingunners.

I like levels with ammo boxes the size of wagons!

In my opinion, I like it.

I like a level where provides me large amount of ammos. Such as rockets, Energy cells for plasma gun and BFG. The monsters in this level are more powerful, destructive than last. They are stronger. In order to kill them in the short time.More heavy weapons and large amout of ammos must be required.

To be honest, I hate it.
A wad just isn't much of a challenge when you can just spam 50 enemies to death with a plasma gun or rocket launcher because there is 6000 shots worth of ammunition right next to you.
When I make my maps, I try to make it so that the Rocket launcher, plasma gun, and BFG are exactly what they are, heavy fire power. Most of the ammo I place in levels are either shotgun shells or bullets. I place ammo for the big guns alright, but only in small amounts.