Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ethyrdude

Freedoom missing graphics

ethyrdude said:

Is there a way to add graphics to the creatures who don't have any? How would I do this?

Freedoom does not yet have a complete set of sprites for all monsters. If you are an artist and able to make some sprites for the project we'll be very interested in what you have to offer.

I wouldn't call myself an artist but I do like to create graphics and I wouldn't mind doing some graphics. I could put something together and submit for approval, this might actually be a fun project. I know the one monster likes to spit out flaming skulls of some type, but of course, this can be something else, as it would probably need to be something different from what's in the actual doom wad? For some monsters, I would assume that different view points would be needed, how many sprites per monster would be required and what size?

Your best bet would be to get Wintex or XWE and look through doom2.wad, find the sprites of the monster you want to do, extract all the bitmaps and then create your monster based on the frames you extracted. I may create a creature for Freedoom at some point, i'm thinking of doing the Revenant, but as there doesnt seem to be any real theme in monsters, i dont know what to go for, if i made it looked like a big skeleton it might be too close to the Doom one, if i go for a robot it would look out of place in the later hell levels (is freedoom still supposed to go to hell? i remember there where a few storylines for it when it started, what is its story? or isnt there one?). Maybe i'll go for some sort of tall and lanky demon with a few cybernetic implants

Okay, this took some work, I had to hijack my wife's computer to install XWE as I run linux on my computer and I couldn't find a linux substitute. The one monster I looked at had 45 sprites - BSPIA1D1 to BSPIP0. The first item(s) with no sprites is BOSA1C1 to BOS2O0, 55 sprites. Is this a monster or something else or is it a bunch of something elses. It's hard to tell. I am willing to give this a whack or two but I will need some more input as I will have to learn new software as well (XWE). At least, I'll be able to use my corel software for the graphics, rather than try to fumble along with Gimp.

Just remember that "based on the frames you extract" should be taken as "based loosely on the creature but not modified sprite frames". It isn't ok to take a doom creature and just modify it; it has to be a wholly original work or one that, if already made, is fully compatible with the license.

Considering I don't have an actual doom or doom2 wad, only the freedoom doom2 wad, which doesn't have any proprietory graphics, anything I create will have to be from scratch. I have played the entire doom and doom2 game in the past but that was a few years ago. I only got reinterested because I was able to get Doomsday running on my linux box and because freedoom was the first wad I downloaded. I do have a few other wads I found on the internet but these all use the freedoom doom2.wad for the graphics. I did download the jDoom resource pack but this only seems to have weapon and ammo graphics. As a result, many of the larger monsters are invisible with little signs above them that say "Freedoom! Graphic not done yet!" and one monster actually spits out little signs that say the same thing. It's really frightening!

For Linux there is a command-line program called Deutex which can extract all the data from a WAD and also put it all back together into a WAD. Freedoom is using it to make the freedoom IWADs.

There is a list of all the sprites done/needed on the Freedoom pages. If you want to do a particular monster, you should ask here to be assigned to it.

Note that the Baron of Hell/Hell Knight are being worked on (search this forum for Lokito). Remaining monsters (from memory) are: Revenant, Pain Elemental, Cyberdemon, and Archvile. Better versions of the Chaingunner and Wolfenstein SS wouldn't go astray. (Better versions of the Imp and the Demon are being worked on too, the old imp may be reusable as the revenant).

IMO The Shogunner and Zombieman should be re-made, they move very awkwardly and look too similar, but thats just me. The Chaingunner looks pretty similar too, but better, though he isnt holding a chaingun... I dont actually mind the Imp the way it is (the brown serpent), but i suppose it doesnt look very Impish. Also i think the Arachnotron is pretty ugly, not to put LWM down but i know she can create much better monsters than that... Er, well thats a few people pissed off, maybe i should do some spriting of my own before i complain about everybody else's eh?

Great textures though...

It took quite some time to find deutex, long story, I did eventually get it. I tried it out but I think it will be a while before I figure out how to use it. I tried to decompose recompose a wad (different name to recompose) but what was created would not run so as far as I'm concerned, have fun using it but I'll probably just use XWE on another computer (haven't tested making wads with it yet, so who knows? ). As far as the missing sprites go, I don't want to step on any toes so I'll have to go see what needs doing and go from there.