Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Was the Doom movie good?

Thank you for explaining that. That wasn't so hard was it? ;)
But still, it's a matter of personal opinion and I like Quake (2, 3 arena and 4 also)It still has something special that you won't find in games these days.

Hey I loved Quake (notice past tense) when it came out, and I especially loved Quake2 for gameplay (still past tense) of course anytime I load them now they're bland boring old projects that are six feet under feeding the worms, uck. Doom still stands tall.

Mordeth said:

*STAB!* *STAB!* *STAB!* :)

What's it with all the hatred against the Quake series?
What didn't you like then? (I assume the answer is everything).
For that time, Quake was a very good game (and still is imo).

Quake III Arena is one of my personal favourite games ever made.
It really had that true hellish feeling. That's what good old Deathmatch is about. Awesome levels if you ask me.

For us it's easy to say that a game sucks, but try to make it yourself. If I (and a team) could make a game like Doom or even Wolfenstein from scratch (in 2006 or later), I'd be proud of myself.

Azriel said:
Quake was a very good game (and still is imo).

Even key members of id Software involved in its creation now say the game sucked. No news here, of course.

I loved Quake 1, didn't care much for Quake 2, because the music got annoying and wore me out quik. Quake 3 arena was fun at times, but I always had issues with lag when playing on line. Quake 3 team arena was nothing special. So yeah, imo the first Quake reigns supreme over it's sequels.

Mordeth said:
Even key members of id Software involved in its creation now say the game sucked. No news here, of course.

Who?

Between being as good as DOOM and sucking there's a few light years.

Mordeth said:

Id software has extremely poor taste regarding their own genre and games. (COUGHTimCOUGH)

Some of them regard doom 3 as a good game; its extremely hard to argue that Quake 1 was worse than *that*. Quake 2 is infinitely more capitvating, nonlinear and fun than doom 3, and many id software members would say Doom 3 is better.

I love the entire quake series except Quake 4. Even Quake 1 is not as bad as people say it is, though the critisicms are accurate they dont really take away from whats good about the game

I thought the Doom movie was awesome. I really enjoyed it. Great decompress on a Friday night.

Who just saw the latest doctor who? it WAS the Doom movie! it even featured people being "Taken over and turned into deformed freak things". Oh and some deformed freak things being taken over and turned into killers as well

I thought the FPS action sequence was awesome, and that the whole movie should of been shot that way. The Rock (what a name!) did a good job with a piss weak script, but really, was this movie written by monkey's? With an amazing sub-culture of Doom literature, how did these guys fuck up a basic premise? The best thing about Doom was it's simple military/scientific and religious background and atmospheric set's. But someone dropped the ball hardcore, and I think the Doom community suffered because of a minority of IDIOT'S who thought they could make some money out of distorting a genre bending phenomenon. But that's Hollywood for ya...

I have just seen the Doom Movie on DVD and I have to say I loved every bit of it. There were scenes where they paint on the walls with paint sticks which is taken from the Doom novel. Mostly the movie seems like the movie version of Doom]|[ which is not bad at all and could be seen as a good move considering the popularity of Doom]|[. And the scene where Sarge fires the BFG for the first time is classic. Totally cool. And there are the monsters which are well done and the dark atmosphere of the facility. The only gripe I have with it is the Ark travel device which is totally unexplainable physics wise and I will leave that alone. But the action is very good and the monsters and other things crawling around in vents is good too.

I agree with those who have said that the action and the overall thrill ride provided by the movie is the best thing and that we should not quibble over which things in the movie are not like the original story set in Phobos and Deimos. Because that is not what the movie is about. And yes I did wait a long Time until the movie came out before I watched it because I waited until I could rent the DVD. And it was worth it to watch the Doom Nation documentary. Speaking of that, why was the footage of Doom shown to have such a slow frame rate? and it had low quality 8 bit sound. Maybe they used v1.2? Can someone who has seen the extended edition help as I want to know which version of Doom they were using that would have such low frame rates and sound quality. And I thought the Pinky monster was cool, it looked exactly like the Pinky in Doom3 which proves my point. Not that Doom ever waned with the popularity of Quake and Counter strike but I think that the Doom movie can only add to the user base of our beautifully violent and gore splattered game. Long live the Doom movie. Even though Sarge never did the Peoples Elbow on Dr Carmack/Imp. But what happened when Reaper and Dr Grimm got to the surface. Sounds like they could make a sequel. Doom2 Hell on Earth. Or Maybe not. Anyway anyone who has not seen the Movie watch it now or I will send a Spider mind to your house.

Go to my PSX Doom page
http://members.tripod.com/bejiitas_wrath/psx_doom.htm for a gratuitous picture of transformed Pinky. One of the coolest monsters although the Hell Knight in the Jail cell area is the best.

I expected more than a plot very similar to Resident Evil....where was Hell?! Even with that simple plot they screwed the movie with a idiotic script.

That movie doesn't deseve the title DooM! At least they done the monsters right. Pinky was cool. No doubting the FPS part was the best part too.

The imps and hknights should have thrown fireballs, not inject viruses. Doom is not just another typical alien-infection horror story.

Some people over on the planetdoom forums are saying a sequel will be directed by sam....the dude directing the next spidey movie. And Anthony Hopkins will star as Betruger. I know, I know, it's a bunch of horse shit, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sam? Sam Raimi? God, I hope you're right. Sam Raimi directed all 3 Evil Dead movies, as well as the very cool Darkman. If anybody can do a good job of directing/producing a Doom movie, goddammit it's got to be Sam Raimi!!!!

baronofhell said:

Some people over on the planetdoom forums are saying a sequel will be directed by sam....the dude directing the next spidey movie. And Anthony Hopkins will star as Betruger. I know, I know, it's a bunch of horse shit, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Since the theatrical draw of DOOM was an utter failure and the studios lost about 40million dollars on it (thanks in no small part to a fan boycott), I seriously doubt there will ever be a sequel.

the doom movie freaken pwns man! i watched it over and over again! I love any thing doom related! Especialy the bfg 9000! bfg9000 oh yes!
sector 5! carry on! go get em marine! I love that line! Sector 5! mother ****er i love the deathmatch they have in the end.

I don't know who rated that movie to not to under 18 years old person. I didn't see anything so bad. I think that 16 is better. (I watched that movie when I was a 14 so who cares.) Well that movie is little bit a failure. Start looked good. Humans running away from something, women's hand crushes to floor, something big come thru doors, DR Carmac rips his ear of[SPOOOOOOOKY!] (Im not sure, but his firstname is maby a Jonh like ID softwares main techical director.)

BTW. How is possible when that guy (What is his name again.) with bad teeth, trops his clip on toilet and it slide to other end of the toilet cabins?

SRY for bad english (My english number is 7 what is C½)

In my opinion, this movie is Ok, well done.The performance is realic and serious. 2 doomers are fighting by using Kung Fu. However there are some improvement:

a) Add more guns and monsters(guns: Shotgun, rocket, Plasmagun; Monsters: Archvile, Revanent

b) Hell must be added so that the doomers can fight against Cyberdemon.

c)More Bloody and screaming action can be acted

Overall, The movie can do better

Saw it yesterday because a friend bought it, which was always going to be the only way I would ever have bothered to see it. As I suspected, it sucked. I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to sci-fi movies, but this was just plain bad. The first person view bit towards the end that people have been raving about was pure cheese and the fight scene sucked too. Why didn't he just shoot him so that the film could be over with that little bit sooner?

Well, more view of first person must requir

In the movie, only 5 minutes of first person view. i think the next movie can increase the view to 20 - 30 minutes.

I think it wasn't really a Doom movie, it was just a movie with the name Doom. I didn't think it wasn't that bad if you looked at it as different movie.

Kennychan said:

Well, more view of first person must requir

In the movie, only 5 minutes of first person view. i think the next movie can increase the view to 20 - 30 minutes.

I think that FPS chapter was a littlebit funny. I haven't seen that like chapter before on any movies. (If we don't count thoose when someon snipes to guy on the head.) And why he says all a time that girls name (Alex or Alyx) and that guy on that wheelchair, I tought that he was a pinky first time when I saw that movie.

Where they really failed with this movie is it was an obvious rip-off of the Resident Evil movies which in my opinion wasn't that great. If they based the movie more on the original doom or even doom2 it would have been much better.

I even think that a movie based on the first novel and a sequal based on the second novel could have worked. Instead they decided to do what has been done hundreds of time already.

The first person scene was unique, innovative, and very well done. Unfortuneately there is not much more to this movie than that.

I give it 1 1/2 stars.

IMO, the movie could've been ten times better if they left the mutation virus shit out. Just monsters of unknown origin, leave the crowd wondering what the fuck were those things. And toning down on zombie usage during the fps scene too, more imps in that sequence, and the movie would've been totally great.