• Rise of Nations/Legends
    • Age of Empires
    • Total Annihilation (spring)
    • Battle for Middle Earth 1/2
    • Command and Conquer
    • Not listed/I want a doom rts/Nah!
    • Warcraft 1/2/3
    • Starcraft

Seeing how I've been playing rts quite a bit (rise of legends specificially) I've been wondering what people play for rts.

Well, any?

edit: haha I forgot to add the blizzard ones.

I like the command and conquer games, until they get to challenging, then I quit. I don't like to much tactical aspects in my games, that's why I stick with id software.

Same here. nothing like commanding an endless number of units to annihilate another base. i like freedom in my games, the ability to do whatever one chooses. yet, at the same time, doom's simplicity is always enjoyable.

I enjoyed Total Annihilation, starcraft, C&C games, but I'm also a fan of the more enginuitive ones such as Darwinia and the party-based battles in WC3.

Total Annihilation and the Command and COnquer series.

Don't like spring.

I used to play Command and Conquer Red Alert all the time. I liked making hordes of soldiers and making them take on tanks.

StarCraft...Been playing it for years (multiplayer) and playing through the solo game every once and awhile with different stratiges each time.

I've played a lot of C&C and Star/WarCraft on and off, but I SUCK at rts games big time.
However Supreme Commander has sparked my interest in a genre I don't play seriously; though I've never played TA.

I used to play Starcraft alot. I did play a little bit online, but most of the time, I messed around in the map editor. I liked using the Zerg and Terran forces.

Unfortunately, I lost the CD a while ago. :(

I used to play Dune on Genesis a lot.

Espi's been trying to get me to play AoE2 for about 3 years.

Other than that, it's mostly been Warcraft/2. I had a short stint making maps for 2. My second one is probably still my best.

The poll probably should have been multiple choice. I play anything with multiplayer support, as AI often sucks.

I haven't played some of them for a while, but the list includes:

WarCraft II,
Age of Empires II with the Conquerors expansion (Spanish Conquistadors ftw!),
Homeworld Cataclysm and Homeworld 2,
Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe (yes, you can play it in multiplayer),
C&C RA2 with Yuri's Revenge expansion

I'll add Worms World Party to the list too, as it's sort of stategy, although usually it's just humourous mistakes and random luck that result in a win.

I used to love TA back in the day, got bored in the end though, tried to get into Empire Earth, as it was what i always thought Age Of Empires should be, but it annoyed me that everybody in medievil times was British and everybody in modern times American and everybody in the future Russian even if you where playing as Greece. Most modern RTS games, like FPS's actually, are over complicated and annoying

DooMAD said:
Spanish Conquistadors ftw![/B]

I see your Conquistadors and raise you my Elite Mangudai.

kc32 said:

I see your Conquistadors and raise you my Elite Mangudai.

Just as soon as I find another Conquerors CD.

D'oh... Wrong button.

Never liked RTS games that much, except for the Blizzard ones, especially Starcraft is great IMO.
I suck when it comes to battlenet though and get my ass handed on a plate :P

I just got back into Starcraft. I used to play it multiplayer quite a bit, usually on Zero Clutter or Fastest Map Possible maps. Then I got into trying to beat the computer on Fastest Map Possible on Melee. I was able to defeat six of them, but never seven. I would say that's easily my favorite.

The original C&C and Red Alert are also pretty cool.

EDIT: Oh yes, I still play Herzog Zwei. Best RTS ever.

Command & Conquer by far. The original (higher res Win version of course) followed by the first Red ALert and then Tiberian Sun as a little more distant 3rd.

C&C Generals is just EA bullshit using the C&C name and RA2 kinda sucked too. They only had one person involved who had anything to do with the production of the first three C&C's.

The craft games are fun, but a little simplistic in that units can't dodge to lessen the impact of projectiles. And in Warcraft 2 the two teams functioned identically with simply different spells for a few magic units.

Total Anilhilation was the slowest pace game ever and there wasn't much satisfaction once you got into battle. Some of my friends liked it but it bored the shit out of me.

Lüt said:

I had a short stint making maps for 2.

Hey, so did I! Man do some of these maps kick ass in the awesome department.

Has anyone heard of KKND (Krush Kill 'N' Destroy)? I play that alot too..sorta like StarCraft.

I've wasted an obscene amount of time playing C&C Red Alert 2 the past couple years, but not much else in the way of RTS's.

Supreme Commander looks pretty cool.

Aleaver said:

Has anyone heard of KKND (Krush Kill 'N' Destroy)? I play that alot too..sorta like StarCraft.

A friend of mine used to play that a lot, but I never got around or had the interest to try it.

Starcraft, C&C and RA, KKND, TA. In that order.

I've finished playing C&C recently. I've discovered that the NOD campaign is not worth playing :P The AI is terrible for GDI forces in most missions.