Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Alien Vendetta update

I'm prepearing to release a long overdue version of Alien Vendetta that fixes some issues. This version will be specifically intended for the zdaemon/skulltag/general port audience, and won't replace the already released Compet-N edition. I might do it as just an addon to av.wad, and I might integrate the changes in the wad itselfe for ease (who minds an 8 mb download these days anyway).

I would greatly appreciate any constructive input on what to include/fix/change in this version of AV, so feel free to reply to this thread with such.

Issues that are already on my list and will be taken care of:
-In Map06 the bars with yellowdoor can block players off if deaths occur at a specific point/time.
-In Map10 theres a useless redkey that will be applied to a door
-In Map15 theres a bug with a secret door that can trap you off if it closes
-Map20 need player start fixes

Suggestions/reports on anything from gameplay to bugs are more than welcome.

What I will *not* do in this release is the following:
-Replace exsisting maps, or skip any levels or rearange the level order
-Add Zdoom or other port specific effects
-Alter the graphics on menus and what not
-Add new sprites
-Replace music tracks

In advance, thanks for any input.

The one issue I remember is that the sector that is raised by killing the Arachnotrons in MAP07 requires a compatibility option in any Boom compatible port.

It should be easy enough to fix by putting a 64 pixel high lower texture on any of the outer sidedefs.

I have a screenshot of the previous discussion on that on my HD for lolz. By the way you (or Randy, I don't pay attention to ZDoom's development) actually got the compat option that fixes the issue to work in 2.1.0. Grats.

Andy Johnsen said:

Suggestions/reports on anything from gameplay to bugs are more than welcome.

I'm sure if theres something you missed, then we'll catch it.

BTW thanks in advance for fixing the MAP20 player starts. Its a pain in the arse in Co-Op. Was it originally done that way intentionally because of engine limitations?

Also thanks in advance for fixing the MAP15 bug. Maybe that absolutely horrid compat option can be removed from ZDoom. <_<

Only problem I can recall from when me and my friends played it in Coop, was that we couldn't find the exit in Map20. :p

HobbsTiger1 said:

I have a screenshot of the previous discussion on that on my HD for lolz. By the way you (or Randy, I don't pay attention to ZDoom's development) actually got the compat option that fixes the issue to work in 2.1.0. Grats.

Yes, the option is fixed in 2.1.0. But fixing it in the WAD would mean that nobody has to bother with it at all.

Also thanks in advance for fixing the MAP15 bug. Maybe that absolutely horrid compat option can be removed from ZDoom. <_<

Why 'horrid'? Admittedly it is broken in 2.1.0 but it is already fixed for the next version. But finding a way to handle this in the level would be preferable anyway.

Graf Zahl said:

Yes, the option is fixed in 2.1.0. But fixing it in the WAD would mean that nobody has to bother with it at all.

I suppose as this release is designed for port use, and not as an update for the C-N edition, it wouldn't hurt. Andy's call of course.

Why 'horrid'? Admittedly it is broken in 2.1.0 but it is already fixed for the next version. But finding a way to handle this in the level would be preferable anyway.

Yes its extremely broken, which is what makes it so horrid. The ability to shoot through such things as doors and other "self ref. sectors", and the breaking of shootable doors and (possibly only some) shootable switches is an extremely critical bug.

Anders, you'll probably want to put the DeHackEd patch in the wad as a DEHACKED lump so the level names and intermission texts show up without having to load the DEH file.

Hi Anders! Maybe you would like to read again my review of "Alien Vendetta" on my web-site ("Outpost of DooM 2": http://www.webalice.it/sposito.lag), where you could find some bug reports or such. For instance, I remember that I was stuck in the 15th level, "Bull Parade". I couldn't go forward, because something didn't work correctly... but I can't remember exactly what it was... I just remember that I couldn't get past a room, unless cheating. I also remember some HOM here and there, but don't ask me where they were! :P

Only bug I recall was that glitch on map07 that was buggered with the exit opening (or lack thereof). Rest is pretty solid.

Andy Johnsen said:

-Replace music tracks

In advance, thanks for any input.

awwww nuts I was hoping you'd change the 1st level back to the original song which was 10x better

This is what I am aware of ...

Map 9 - a) The lines for the sails need to be separated by vertices for the various sectors.
b) Lines 1030, 1031 and 1028 need a lower back sidedef texture.

Map 11 - Sector 732 needs to be closed.

Map 15 - a) Lines 2722 and 2719 need front and back sidedefs to reference sector 107 and remove textures.
b) Lines 875, 880, 869, 871, 855, 846, 844 and 852 need DBRAIN texture instead.
c) Sector 139 MAY need rework.

Map 19 - a) Sectors 487\197 MAY need rework.
b) The "ends" of sector 188 ( rectangle sector with areas with lines 4592,4561 etc ) need to be associated with sector 443.
c) Lines 620, 621, 622 need both sidedefs to reference sector 59.
d) Lines 3174, 3206 etc (well ) need both sidedefs associated with sector 342 ( or new sector made ) .

In map20, sector 804, near one small red torch, is thin buggy impassible linedef without texture. It's visible in game because it makes a small HOM there. No more bugs that I remember atm.

Still, im wondering why update it? Its pretty old now i guess.

Th0r said:

Still, im wondering why update it? Its pretty old now i guess.

Why do games release patches and updates? To fix errors that are encountered in the public stage. So no need to be negative.

Good work btw Andy, look forward to the update :)

Gusta said:

In map20, sector 804, near one small red torch, is thin buggy impassible linedef without texture. It's visible in game because it makes a small HOM there. No more bugs that I remember atm.

Good find ! Yes linedef 13912 needs to be deleted and the nodes rebuilt.

MAP20 is too confusing. And what exactly was the avmovfix.wad included in the /idgames package for?

Jimmy91 said:

MAP20 is too confusing. And what exactly was the avmovfix.wad included in the /idgames package for?

AVmovfix is simply a smaller version of map20, this prevents some demo recording problems with the original doom2.exe

Jimmy91 said:

MAP20 is too confusing.

Really? I didn't find that confusing at all as long as you use your map o.O

Darkfyre said:

Really? I didn't find that confusing at all as long as you use your map o.O

Yeah well, of course you'd say that. >_< lol

BlackFish said:

I want the map01 music back!

DIY if you care so much!

Besides it fits the new map much better, as does the new music fit map01.

Jimmy91 said:

Woooopie! Another confused victim, mohu whaahah :-D

I think I have a solution for map06 and some route tweaks for map24. If anyone has comments (particularly regarding coop)for these maps let me know.

Congrats on uploading a mid that's in the wad anyway, and isn't even the mid that he asked for.

Szymanski said:

<the_fish rises from the dead to make one post>

Lee,

I need to clarify a misconception that you have about AV24. I have read on the AV wikicities (as well as here on the forums) that you think AV24 has 'bugs' because there is shortcuts to the exit. In fact, I purposely designed the map this way. Looking back, the shortcuts were too obvious to the point that they became the main route.

Anthony