Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

What are the things that amaze you about this community?

What are all the things that amaze you about our humble little community?
I've always been amazed how much better some of our wads are then the actual games we see on the market.
Just look at Phobiata and Null Space. How many games do you see out there today with environments that creative?

I've also been amazed as to how far people go with these wads. Scuba Steve sold t-shirts and preorders. Kristus got a professional band to do the music for Phobia: The Age, and Afterglow spent several years perfecting just one map.

I was originally a member of the Planetdoom forums. But most of the moderators were fucking cocksuckers who always tried to change my opinion when I didn't like an id game. Namely Pain, he's one of the main reasons I got myself banned intentionally. But these forums seem a lot more open minded, as long as your at least a little bit constructive with your criticism. But then again some mods over here probably wouldn't be surprised with me having trouble with some other online community.

What always amazes me is that there is always a jewish/conspiracy argument on the Everything else first page.

The fact that due to the age of the game, the only people that have stuck around are the open minded ones who arent shallowly impressed with the latest bells and whistles and ditch something as obsolete the moment something more shiny comes along. Also the people who run the forum are the same, and its not full of massive sigs, clans, funny gifs by your name to indicate your number of posts and all that bullshit. Look at your typical GTA message board, sheer retardation

Halo fan said:

When does my health or armor recharge????

I hate it how almost every gamer out there expects an old game to be just like the games they play. When I showed Doom to some kids at my school they hated it just because the enemies weren't 3d. <_<

Craigs said:

When I showed Doom to some kids at my school they hated it just because the enemies weren't 3d. <_<

that had caught me off gaurd, the fact that enemies weren't in 3D. when i recently got back into doom, i was used to the 3D effects of Halo and some other newer first person shooters. i had forgotten the relative lack of graphic detail in DOS based games. it also took me awhile to get used to the fact that there was no look-up-and-down ability

as for the community, i find it to be a very good resource of information. i find it amazing of how easy it is to find help. where you don't have to cycle through an endless list of recent topics for an answer.

Post hell always an funny thing to read through those threads every once in a while.

I thought the doom community was big or is that just my immagination.
I come here for information and peeking at other peoples projects talk about stuff and show some of my maps every now and then.
And try to help people as much as I can, I just happen to be addicted to DooM.
If I didn't liked DooM I wouldn't be here, I would probably be an Halo/Half Life addict or something.

HobbsTiger1 said:

The fucking stupidity in this community.

Well someone's been hostile to everyone the past week...

I like the Doom community because Doom seems to have effected many others the same way it effected me. It was and is a big part of my computer-gaming life.

The neverending trolls, as well as dicks like Hobbs who complain about stupidity but have a habit of adding to it, like in the ZDoom drama threads. Don't know where we'd be without them all ;)

In all seriousness I've enjoyed some of the friends I've made who I talk to regularly, the inspiration for my own designs, Deathz0r's reviews, and when wads like Sapphire come out so I know not what to do in my maps :D

HobbsTiger1 said:

I agree. I've been trying to tell everyone that you need to be losered for just a bit longer. Especially since you don't really even have anything to say about Doom.

BaronofHell said:

I was originally a member of the Planetdoom forums. But most of the moderators were fucking cocksuckers who always tried to change my opinion when I didn't like an id game.

I usually tend to avoid Planet Doom. Their only purpose is to suck Carmac's dick and jack off to any Doom 3 product out there. It seems to me like most of their members are about as smart as our idiots.

HobbsTiger1 said:

I'm amazed that your not banned, your always spewing out negativity for no reason thinking people like it or something.

deathbringer said:

The fact that due to the age of the game, the only people that have stuck around are the open minded ones who arent shallowly impressed with the latest bells and whistles and ditch something as obsolete the moment something more shiny comes along.

that is true. it is one of the things that amazes me as well. thats why I still have an atari that I fire up every once in a while and can't wait for wii's virtual console. I wish my old nes and snes still worked.

the other thing that amazes me is the creativity of the community, and sometimes the lack thereof. I think everyone can think of some example of both ends of the spectrum.

I just like how everyone is still talking about Doom all these years later. I like how Doom has become both legendary and immortal.

Threads like the "gender of Doom monsters" one get some pretty good posts without degenerating into flaming or "u r stupid lol" posts.

What amazes me is that this community is one of the few that hasn't had a multitude of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, or Desert Storm-based mods announced or released. Look at the HL/HL2 communites - I swear I've counted at least 8 Resident Evil TC's in progress over there. (Yes, I know about the one that supposedly had Doomguy and Duke Nukem in it - I assumed it was just a joke.)

Craigs said:

What are all the things that amaze you about our humble little community?
I've always been amazed how much better some of our wads are then the actual games we see on the market.
Just look at Phobiata and Null Space. How many games do you see out there today with environments that creative?

Quake III: Arena? Alice? Have you played these games?

Craigs said:

I've also been amazed as to how far people go with these wads. Scuba Steve sold t-shirts and preorders.

He's also a whiney bitch.

Craigs said:

Kristus got a professional band to do the music for Phobia: The Age

That was done by Marc Pullen who has been involved with the community for years w/ level design & composing MIDI tracks. Last I checked, he hasn't sold more the 1,000 copies of an album. :P

Craigs said:

Afterglow spent several years perfecting just one map.

I don't see why my laziness should be highlighed. There twice was 2 year periods where I didn't work on the dmdjm02. It's also a mish-mash of a series of incomplete levels, which the hack-ish nature of the layout indicates. Depth-first searching is the most slothful representation of level design prowess. There are plenty of portions of that level I'm unsatisfied with in that level, like the wide-open area near the end that I just tacked in 30 minutes to connect the north and south areas.

My next single player releases have a similar approach since I never design layouts beforehand; instead just work out the geometry, architecture and traps as a stream of consciousness and try to connect the dots after the fact.

I'm here because I'm emotionally bankrupt.

It alwyas amazes me, that the forum users are divided into three categories:
1.Practice targets - noobs and loosers, that are here to be flamed.
2.Civilized - users and mods that are here to contribute something or discuss.
3.The flaming team - a secret freemasonic community, that has the right to flame, bump, bitch and hate everyone.

ellmo said:

3.The flaming team - a secret freemasonic community, that has the right to flame, bump, bitch and hate everyone.

I'm a freemason :D

It’s still alive, the new WADs are still good, and the old ones too, and the kids still know about Doom.

I am also amazed at how tolerant the admins are.
I remember I was banned on a previous forum for a little joke I played on one of the most hated admins for the forum, W13. He closed Off topic and said that it was being closed for: "Inconstabled (It might have been something else. It wasn't even a real word) reasons." I pointed out that "Inconstabled" wasn't a real word and asked why Off topic was closed. He permanently banned me and added me to the wall of shame. <_<;;

Anyway, I like this forum, because they give you a second chance if you do manage to get on an admin's bad side. They loser you yeah, but you can become unlosered by behaving.

What amazes me the most is this community's longevity - it has survived all the way from the early newsgroup years to the current forum-oriented days.

Another pretty amazing thing is that the community still pumps out multiple WADs a week.

What is also quite amazing is that people come up with fresh (discussion) topics & (WAD) ideas even after twelve years of Dooming, even though one must admit that most ideas are more or less recycled at this point.

printz said:

I dare show you this link: http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=7181&tid=1596901
That's why I still lurk in there. Huge fan fiction. That guy is at his third novel right now, the link leads to the first.

Wow printz thank you very much for linking that story. All I can say is....incredible, the author adds an entirely different dimension to the Doom universe. Did he get the publishing deal?

HobbsTiger1 said:

I'm a freemason :D

You wish.

Anyway, I am most amazed at how easily impressed the general Doomer is.

You really didnt have to revive this thread to crush my fictional dreams ebola :(

My bad, I don't even know how I got into it in the first place.
Lack of sleep is probably the answer here... since I suffer from it. :p