Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not "should" but they could...if they wanted. I've seen and played enough Resident Evil mods around (mainly for HL) Doom doesn't need to start having them as well in my opinion.

If you have Half Life, go download Sven Coop and that Resident Evil Convert Opperations map for it if you really want some good Resident Evil first person action.

Half Life? Ok, I do have two zombie mods. Zombie Panic! and Brainbread. But I'm just wondering how Resident Evil would look, heavily pixelated, etc. Certainly food for thought.

I guess I know what you mean. Would remind you of the first games style of graphics too. I think it would have looked good with pixels but if there was one, best not being a remake. Maybe a brand new "story"

I was working on a Resident Evil map for Sven Coop at one time though. Gave up since there was far too many being made so it got old.

http://qshockwave.planetduke.gamespy.com/Re_t_projectscreen_003.jpg
http://qshockwave.planetduke.gamespy.com/Re_t_projectscreen_004.jpg

Sometime during that I even started one for Duke3D.

http://qshockwave.planetduke.gamespy.com/mos_REmod_001.jpg
http://qshockwave.planetduke.gamespy.com/mos_REmod_002.jpg

Both died.

I remember the last Resident Evil wad, it made EBDoom look coherent and organised. But the map based on the mansion got the layout down OK, could have done with custom textures and better monster placement and it would have been good

I'm working on a sort of RE/Silent Hill type TC.

And i was planning a generic "Zombies in the countryside" wad that may get done sometime, i need to create a "template" human sprite to base other human sprites on, i made one once but it was very tall and very very thin in-game, so i want to make another one, the only problem is finding the patience to do it, the last one i made was during the most boring and pointless "job finding" thing ever created, so there was nothing else to do.

bob the hellspawn said:

I like Resident Evil. The series is great. I bought RE4 and I love it! Somebody should make a Resident DOOM or something. Or DOOM Evil. Or something.

NO. I see enough damn Resident Evil mods for all kinds of other games.

You can feel free to make your zombie mod, just don't go calling it Resident Evil. When you think about it, it's kind of a dumb name anyway.

I truthfully would like to see more zombie mods for Hl2 not neccessarily Resident Evil but imo there are too many realistic mods for HL2 being made ex play as a sf,marine,army,etc during the iraq war yawn I play games to escape from reality not to be a part of it also a thing the HL2 community needs is less MP only mods being made its called over saturation on the moddb boards I see people complaining about the many zombie mods being made but I don't hear anyone bitching about all the realistic mods being made you can't have it both ways. Oh now to make this be about Doom2 umm Doom2 rules there back on topic lol

WildWeasel said:

...just don't go calling it Resident Evil...

Right. It doesn't have to be RE: you could just borrow some concepts but do your own thing. That way you're also not going to have any legal complications and so on.

My Lonely Meadows TC is very similar conceptually to RE (and a bit of Silent Hill too) but I've avoided using any specific references to either game. For example I've got a virus and a multinational company but haven't explicitly named either (and if I do it won't be "T-virus" and "Umbrella").
On the other hand, you've got to explore your surroundings for clues and objects, and of course you've got zombies all over the place :)

There's some screenies at my site if anyones interested.

doomedwarrior1981 said:

I truthfully would like to see more zombie mods for Hl2 not neccessarily Resident Evil but imo there are too many realistic mods for HL2 being made ex play as a sf,marine,army,etc during the iraq war yawn I play games to escape from reality not to be a part of it also a thing the HL2 community needs is less MP only mods being made its called over saturation on the moddb boards I see people complaining about the many zombie mods being made but I don't hear anyone bitching about all the realistic mods being made you can't have it both ways. Oh now to make this be about Doom2 umm Doom2 rules there back on topic lol

I kind of agree. Stuff like They Hunger and Heart of Evil were really good zombie mods out there for HL, but most of it for HL2 is rather basic or based on Ravenholm which gets boring...

I think there is also too many multiplayer mods as well, some of which look interesting but play like every other mod out there. I dont mind the tatical military ones, only two of which I'm interested in but as long as they don't play like CS.

Why not a modifacation where you play as a zombie and can increase your skills with powerups and have a "crimson" mode that increases all your strengths tempory? Could be for any game, but singleplayer would be nice with some multiplayer maps (Zombie vs Human like Zombie Panic) The idea above was going to be made for Sven Coop by me and someone else a while ago. Nothing has happened since we came up with it...

I like that idea about playing as a zombie what would be even cooler is a mod where if you die from being killed by a zombie you come back as a zombie and continue roaming you couldn't kill the zombies obviously however it would be interesting to go after the other humans that populate the level. Not sure if you'd be able to use weapons or not it would be cooler if you could go up to the humans in the game and rip them apart there could even be cool animations of your hands with flesh in them of and of course can't forget the cool zombie moaning sound when your roaming around

To develop the zombie player idea even further, there could be some form of "learning" points. It doesn't even have to be realistic. You, the zombie can learn and adapt even further to be more human, yet you still crave to eat flesh.

You could read books, learn how to use melee weapons or even guns. You could learn how to act more human in every way. Yet, there could also be something that can lower this ability if you don't keep it to a certain state.

If you don't eat enough flesh or blood, you start to feel less human from what you learnt since the zombie instincts keep kicking back in. Ofcourse, even with all the learning, you can never be 100% human... or you could. Really depends on the author who makes it too.

As I stated a few times, a zombie mod where the realism isn't with a lot of comical moments would be far more fun to play in my opinion.

bob the hellspawn said:

I like Resident Evil. The series is great. I bought RE4 and I love it! Somebody should make a Resident DOOM or something. Or DOOM Evil. Or something.

here are a couple of reasons I can think of not to.

-All the resident evil games suck, with the exception of Resident Evil 4.

-Unless you're using Edge, this would seem really cheesey.

-If you want something like this, why don't you make it instead of making the same damn topics that say "HAY GUYZ I GOT GUD IDEEUH!! U SHUD MAYK A RESIDUNT EVUL MAWD." like your previous one that got helled by Blood Shedder.

If you really want resident evil that much, go play TheyrHungry on Sven coop.

Craigs said:

here are a couple of reasons I can think of not to.

-All the resident evil games suck, with the exception of Resident Evil 4.

Unless you actually played the game when it was first released in 1996 when it was still considered ground breaking, then please refrain from sweeping comments. Resident Evil 1 was great fun and I still consider it one of my favorite classic games, like Doom. The games captured a cinematic feel that really wasn't present in those games at the time. The gameplay, while somewhat tedious, was still a lot of fun. Hunting down lost keys and emblems, figuring out puzzles, and oh yeah, shooting zombies and mutants and finding hidden labs. Man, that game kicked ass. I should go play it.

Yes, the overall plot and idea behind the game was good, but the gameplay itself sucked. Call me crazy, but when it comes to combat, I like to be able to see what I'm shooting at, and the camera just makes that impossible. Plus, Barry's voice acting was just plain sad.

I honestly don't think it would be possible to make a Doom version of Resident Evil. Yeah, you could slow down the player to a crawl. Yeah, you could make the enemies have high health and only attack at point blank, but it will just be a mess of gameplay, crushed together.
Like Goldeneye and Mario, they just don't mix.

The voice acting in the original Resident Evil was purposely done in a campy B-horror flick style. Hence Barry's voice dialogue being utterly miserable. Anyway, I still think the game kicks ass and nothing will change my mind!

But yeah porting it to Doom would not work.

Lobo said:

There's some screenies at my site if anyones interested.

Dude, these look great!

Cheers lads.

I've just completely finished all the mapping/monster/texture/scripting work for map01 off. Hell, earlier today I even scared myself while playing. LOL

edit: taking advantage of the fact that WIP is back in business I've added some info there with new screenies. Should show up sooner or later ;)

WildWeasel said:

NO. I see enough damn Resident Evil mods for all kinds of other games.

Actually, I haven't seen a RE mod, just like mods based on zombies and crap like that. But I'm not talking about "for all kinds of other games" I'm talking about for Doom. But can somebody tell where I can find this "REUdel?"

Not terribly on topic, but if any of you are looking for an amazing zombie related experience, download "Afraid of Monsters" for the first half-life. Don't want to ruin it, but it still makes my skin crawl. The majority of the light in the game comes from your flashlight... which also dies from time to time. And the zombies make the creepiest damn noises. Well yeah, it's probably the best zombie themed mod I've ever played, especially in the scare factor, really draws you into it. I tried going back to play They Hunger after I played it, and I realized how badly it blew They Hunger out of the water. But yeah, give it a shot if you're looking for a really creepy, zombie killing good time.

Oh, the website. http://afraidofmonsters.moddb.com/