Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naan

.hhe dehacked files for Heretic and ports

Hello,

I downloaded an Heretic PWAD (ichor.wad) which provides a dehacked file for the heretic executable which has the .hhe extension instead of the usual .deh for doom dehacked patches.

I tried with ZDoom, GZDoom with their last release but even by replacing the .hhe extension by .deh with the -deh command line the patch hasn't taken into account.

Is there a way, or another port, that gets those .hhe patches to work ?

Thanks.

Not sure about other ports but, to save you some time, Zdoom (etc) does not support hhe patches or hex patches (for Hexen). Only Doom deh/bex patches. Randy has confirmed a number of times that support will not be added for them either.

Ok thanks.

I opened the .hhe file with notepad, I wonder if these changes affect alot the gameplay intended for the wad (I've removed all text changes like intermission screens and map names) :

Thing 38 (Fire Brazier)
Bits 1 = 0

Thing 113 (Weredragon Shot 4)
Hit points = 300

Thing 116 (Ophidian Fire Ball)
Hit points = 1000
Bits 1 = 4736774

Thing 125 (Gargoyle)
Bits 1 = 4473350

Thing 133 (Knight Red Axe)
Alert sound = 61
Attack sound = 63

Thing 135 (D'Sp. Beast Fire)
Hit points = 5000
Bits 1 = 4194310

Thing 136 (D'Sparil)
Missile damage = 20

Thing 140 (Sorceror Teleport)
Bits 1 = 4194310

Thing 141 (Maulotaur)
Missile damage = 10

Still looking for a port that is .hhe compatible. Or at least if I can properly understand the things the .hhe patch do I can modify the .wad file according to these changes to run it under (G)Zdoom with the gameplay the way it was meant to be played.

Ty !

Can anyone direct me to a tech spec for hhe patches? If the format is sufficently similar to that of deh patches I might be persuaded to knock up a plugin to read them for Doomsday.

I don't know a lot about them, but the file structure seems very similar to Doom's .deh ones.

They're basically the same as DEH. I don't think any port author bothered to implement them, though.

Playing with zDoom's DECORATE functions = more fun anyway :P

Well sounds like I gotta merge .hhe files with their wad if I want to play the wais it was intended, to make them work properly under (G)ZDoom.

Well since I'm a complete noob in wad modding I hope it's not too hard to do so :/

It isn't too hard to do, but it is pointless. As I said "Zdoom (etc) does not support hhe patches". The "etc" means ports derived from Zdoom - so GZdoom is included in that. An HHE patch inside or outside a WAD will be ignored by GZdoom.

From the sections you posted, it doesn't look like the patch did that much anyway. I don't have HHE set up ATM and can't do so quickly. However, I can make some limited guesses at what it does.

Thing 38 (Fire Brazier)
Bits 1 = 0

Setting the bits to 0 means all the bits are unchecked - so the item will be non-blocking, non-shootable, will respond to gravity etc etc. Exactly what the various bits in Heretic are, I don't remember. Quite why this was done, it's hard to tell. Perhaps it was changed to a decoration that needed to be non blocking?

Hit points = 300

Is this all that was changed about the Weredragon shot? It seems a pointless change of hitpoints if nothing else about it was changed.

Hit points = 1000
Bits 1 = 4736774

Again the hitpoints of a projectile are being changed (to a value that makes it unlikely it will be destroyed if it is still being used for its original purpose). I'm not sure what the bits value corresponds to, but it is changing the kind of properties I mentioned with the brazier. Again, it's hard to tell why this was being done without installing HHE and checking which bits have been changed.

Thing 125 (Gargoyle)
Bits 1 = 4473350

Again bit changes. Perhaps it no longer has no gravity or something. Again, hard to tell.

Alert sound = 61
Attack sound = 63

The red axe of the knight has been given different sounds. Without HHE, I can't tell which sounds 61 and 63 refer to.

Hit points = 5000
Bits 1 = 4194310

Again a change in hit points and bits. Don't know why.

Thing 136 (D'Sparil)
Missile damage = 20

D'Sparil has been given missile damage of 20. Missile damage is normally done when an item hits (as in collides) with the player (or another damageable item). Most projectiles and Doom's lost soul use this. I think the Heretic Maulator also does this but I don't remember D'Sparil having any kind of charging attack so perhaps something else was altered too?

Bits 1 = 4194310

The teleport locations used by D'Sparil have had their bits changed. Again, I can't tell what the change does.

Thing 141 (Maulotaur)
Missile damage = 10

Modification to the Maulotaur missile damage. I think this represents a slight increase over the default value. This should make the charging attack that he does more damaging.

OK, I managed to install HHE.

Thing 38 (Fire Brazier)
Bits 1 = 0

Removes the "obstacle" bit. The brazier is no longer a blocking item.

Hit points = 300

The original had 1000 HP. This change seems pointless as the item can't be shot anyway.

Hit points = 1000
Bits 1 = 4736774

The fireball always had 1000 HP. This is no change.

The bits now have the following checked:
Obstacle
Shootable Thing
Hangs from Ceiling
No Gravity
Travels Up Cliffs
Floating
Puffs Versus Bleeds
Counts for Kills

It used to have
"Automatics" (I don't know what this does)
No Gravity
Travels Up Cliffs
Projectiles

So, it looks like it's been changed to something you can kill and which counts towards the kill total of the level.

Thing 125 (Gargoyle)
Bits 1 = 4473350

This has had the Partial Invisibility bit checked compared to how it used to be. So, presumably the intention was to make the gargoyles semi-visible.

Alert sound = 61
Attack sound = 63

Sound 61 is minsit - the minotaur wake-up sound

Sound 63 is minat2 - I think that's the minotaur fireball hitting sound

Hit points = 5000
Bits 1 = 4194310

Hit points increased from 1000

The bits now checked are:
Obstacle
Shootable Thing
Counts for Kills

Originally, they were the same as the Ophidian Fire Ball original values.

Thing 136 (D'Sparil)
Missile damage = 20

D'Sparil originally had a missile value of 0. Unless something else has been changed, I don't see this having any effect on the game.

Bits 1 = 4194310

Bits have been changed to:
Obstacle
Shootable Thing
Counts for Kills

Originally it only had "automatics" chaecked.

Thing 141 (Maulotaur)
Missile damage = 10

Increased from 7

Thanks a lot Enjay :)

If I can't "merge" the patch into the wad, I gotta modify the wad itself with ZDoom features to include these changes. That should pe possible since some modern ZDoom wads includes level names in map and some other stuff that was done with HHE patches in the past.

I just don't know if I'm gonna have some headaches to recognize how things are translated from the .hhe patch and the ZDoom features, heh.