Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Checkmate

Boom 'Change Texture and Effect' help

Can someone point me to a good explantion of how this works? The 'boomedit' demo wad has a generalized linedef that changes the sky texture. It looks like it's possible to change the 'effect' as well with the generalized settings. I was expecting to find a reference sector connected to it(a source for the texture/effect) but that wasn't the case. I'm trying to change a sector effect (not glowing to glowing) with a walkover linedef. Can it be done this way or am I way off?

The fields change a lowering floor's texture and effect. I dont know if it works on static flooring or not. It takes the source texture from the floor of the activation linedef

Checkmate said:
I'm trying to change a sector effect (not glowing to glowing) with a walkover linedef.

You can change sector flags (see Trigger or Numeric model for sector changes in the docs), like changing a floor to a damage type and back to a normal type. If you trying to start fluctuating the light level of a sector, you're better off using a direct trigger to do that instead of trying to accomplish this by changing the sector flags.

iori said:

The fields change a lowering floor's texture and effect. I dont know if it works on static flooring or not. It takes the source texture from the floor of the activation linedef

Ok I understand this better now thanks. I'm guessing the 'change' (in DB) standard linedefs were meant for use with static floor/ceiling heights although I don't know how it works.

Mordeth said:

You can change sector flags (see Trigger or Numeric model for sector changes in the docs), like changing a floor to a damage type and back to a normal type. If you trying to start fluctuating the light level of a sector, you're better off using a direct trigger to do that instead of trying to accomplish this by changing the sector flags.

Thanks Mordeth. I think my brain has snapped. I understand the standard light activations(light starts blinking, etc) But I have no idea how to transfer a sector effect from one to another or even 'turn on' a damage effect in a sector. I tried all of the ceiling 'change texture and effect' standard actions and they do change the ceiling flat but none change the effect. Also, after much searching and reading I don't understand what 'numeric' model means either. 'Trigger' I can understand. If someone could show me an example of an effect being transferred(like damage) I should be able to figure out how to transfer (In generalized linedefs) a glow or other effects.

Just forget about the Numeric model. Too complicated and flunky. Use the Trigger model instead.

Do not try to turn on light effects (or stuff like "secret") by adjusting the sector flag. It won't work. Plus, light effects are very hard to synchronise for different sectors, except for a blinking on/off effect (when you give the sectors the same tag).

Use the tool "trigcalc" (from the Boom utilities archive) to get a trigger that does what you want. Eg. "lower floor by the height of the texture that's on the trigger sidedef, adjust floor texture to the texture of the sector floor adjacent to the trigger sidedef, and adjust flags to be the same as the one on the sector adjacent to the trigger sidedef" (= Trigger model).

I'll try to remember to give you a hands-on example when I return home :)

Mordeth - Isn't trigcalc integrated into Dooombuilder through the 'generalized' linedef dialog? Or is there something DB leaves out? Looking forward to your example - Thanks