Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom_user

Using gamepad in Zdoom, player won't stop running?

Regardless of whether-or-not "autorun" is on. Ironically, if I press the designated "run" button, the player stops running. Is there any way to turn this off?

Edit: On second thought, this question is probably more suited for the ZDoom forum...

I'm guessing you're not using analog pads, but a d-pad?

Also, have you tried pressing capslock?

I tried turning "autorun" on and off and turning caps lock on and off, none of this made a difference, and yes, it is a d-pad.

Doesn't look that way in my opinion, there might be a command somewhere, but cmon, what's wrong with autorun?

Other than the fact that my brain is hard-wired, from years of console Doom and other Doom ports, to use the conventional manner of control, when you're always running it's almost impossible to aim at monsters or walk along ledges. I was trying to complete the first level of Congestion 1024 yesterday and I kept dieing because I couldn't aim at the monsters properly. If my weapon was a bit too far to the left to hit a monster, I'd try to move slightly right and my view would end up swinging half way across the screen, and the monsters would kill me before I could attempt to turn again. This control setup may work for someone with an analog stick, who's attempting to control Doom like a modern game, but for someone like me, with a d-pad, who's attempting to control Doom like just plain old Doom, this is pretty much unusable. I can't understand why this change was necessary to begin with, you can activate autorun in the CFG file, the options menu, and with the caps lock button, why is it necessary to make d-pad movements act as autorun as well?

Ok, so I'm thinking Zdoom thinks you're using analog sticks, and it reads your d-pad movements as forceful analog movements. And forceful analog movements are always running movements.

New idea: you know on the keyboard settings screen, and there's a place to change what key is up, down, left, etc? Have you tried using that instead of all that axis crap on the joypad settings screen?

Plus, there's always joy2key if you want to get dirty. Set up/down/left/right to W/A/S/D. And then maybe up-right to w and s at the same time etc if it's ugly to play with.