Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Portal looks awesome!

I understand that this is more of a "puzzle" game rather than a shooter, but damn those levels are rather basic looking. I mean, this is supposed to be a commercial product, not just a mod with a price tag slapped on. Still, looks interesting.

I think Portal will have more replay value than Prey. Which I beat already and don't feel like replaying.

Snarboo said:

I understand that this is more of a "puzzle" game rather than a shooter, but damn those levels are rather basic looking. I mean, this is supposed to be a commercial product, not just a mod with a price tag slapped on. Still, looks interesting.

It supposedly takes place in a testing center, basic=appropriate.

Very interesting, reminds me of the Cube movies.

insertwackynamehere said:

Prey was released already??!

I need to go get it :P I only played the demo heh

It came out like last monday in the US. Last friday here.

Gamespy:
...that Portal is being designed as a single player game in the Half-Life universe and will ship will Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

Fuck. Jesus Valve is original.

Nightmare Doom said:

Prey was revolutionary of the Portal idea after all

Not quite. See Unreal. Hexen, even.

Hell, at least games are expanding upon GAMEPLAY concepts now, rather than one-upping each other's polycounts and lighting models.

If I wanted a game with portals, I think I'd rather go with Prey. That just looks more appealing to me. It also doesn't feel so basic or like a commercial mod tacked onto the Source engine to make money. The hope that 3DR will release the tools also means better custom content.

Prey uses it in a different way anyways, i think that portal will be much better and will use the portals better.

Snarboo said:

I'd rather go with Prey. That just looks more appealing to me. It also doesn't feel so basic or like a commercial mod tacked onto the Source engine

You're not kidding? Wow. I mean, it didn't seem to play much different than quake 4...along with the whole "aliens abducting people to make human slurry and various creatures".

Quast said:

You're not kidding?

Diffrent strokes for different folks. Valve seems content on dragging the HL franchise out as long as possible. If id released the next Doom game in chapters along with "shoulda been free" mods-gone-pro we would call them cash cows. When Valve does it, they are heralded as a progessive force in the industry. I don't want a million different rehashes of Half-Life 2, just as many are sick of the Doom 3 style shooter.

Wait, are you oh so subtly trying to call me a valve fanboy or something?

Believe me. I didn't care much for hl2 or doom 3. Both games suck testes for the same damn reasons.

Quast said:

Wait, are you oh so subtly trying to call me a valve fanboy or something?

No, I was just stating an opinion for why I find Prey more appealing than Portal.

Quast said:

You're not kidding? Wow. I mean, it didn't seem to play much different than quake 4...along with the whole "aliens abducting people to make human slurry and various creatures".

Not to mention that one Boss they ripped right out of Quake 4!

Heh. Prey is awesome the first time. But a lot of it's appeal is like, the WTF factor. And you'd lose that on subsequent playthroughs.

With Portal, it's like a really open ended puzzle game. Multiple ways to solve problems, and so playing it again and again should remain fun. Not to mention the sandbox factor.

Hm, if you line up two portals, place yourself in between them and fire into one, will you hit yourself in the back? :-)

Anyway, cute gameplay feature, but it could risk getting old pretty fast...

Kristian Ronge said:

Hm, if you line up two portals and place yourself in between them and fire into one, will you hit yourself in the back? :-)

Anyway, cute gameplay feature, but it could risk getting old pretty fast...

Yes. In the early Prey levels there was a setup where two box-portals were placed in such a way that when you entered one and exit through the other you'd see yourself entering the first.

If you were a twitch gamer and instinctively shoot at moving objects, that was the way to kill yourself.

Edit: actually, that's kind of a separate issue I guess. You and "you" are both on the same side of the portals and you're not actually shooting through one. Unless it works regardless--can someone confirm?

Wow, nice idea!

Also, the "Orientation" is a Lost rip-off :P

Arioch said:
Edit: actually, that's kind of a separate issue I guess. You and "you" are both on the same side of the portals and you're not actually shooting through one. Unless it works regardless--can someone confirm?

Sorta, with most portals they are like interactive skyboxes/mirrors (that you can see yourself in sometimes) that virtually exist in the opposite end. Some Prey MP maps use this trick to get impulsive players to snipe themselves.

This could be the awesomest game I have ever seen. Only one weapon. Pwnage.

For some reason, this reminds me of MGS: VR Missions. While that edition of MGS wasn't bad, I hope this has better replayability. Once you get the ninja for 3 measly missions, things kinda get uninteresting.