Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

Sector Effect/Linedef Action Question

You know how in Doom E1M3, hitting the switch that raises the bridge leading to the secret exit room causes the floor texture to change? And you know how the texture change also makes the sector effect change so the bridge is not poisonous? I tried doing this in the map I am making and it didn't work. Here is a link to the image.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5292/effectta3.jpg

The "0" and "5" are sector effects. The green linedef near the "5" causes the floor to raise to the highest floor and change the texture for the yellow circled sector. The thing is, both sectors near the green linedef are poisonous, and when you walk over the line, how do you make it so the sector effect on the circled sector changes from 0 to 5? How did they do this in E1M3 of Doom?

Thanks.

Well, not sure of how much of a help i can be but i'll do the best of my ability. there's is a switch that causes brige to raise. i am guessing you already did that.

the sector effect they used for the rising bridge was "16, Damage -10 or 20% health". i don't know if this will help, but the best i can say is try it and see what happens.

They used a switch with the linedef action 20 (raise to next highest floor (changes texture)). In which case, the new sector will take the attribute of the sector where the linedef was, NOT the sector adjacent to it. However, it will still raise to the next highest adjacent floor.

To raise the sector and make it non-poisonous, you just have to put the linedef where there is no sector effects. Try putting your switch somewhere else.

I hope i'm answering your question.... :S

You answered the other side of it.

What I'm trying to do is raise the floor and make it poisonous. And this is a W1 line, so you need to walk over it for the floor to raise. The line is in between two sectors, both are which poisonous. For the line to change the sector effect, does it need to be a switch or can you still do it by walking over the line?

Ah, my bad. For the line to change the sector effect, it needs to have a trigger with ...(changes texture). Doesn't need to be a switch.

I done some testing and it seems that the linedef i mentioned only changes the texture, not the effect.... The only linedef that seems to do this is W1/WR lower to the lowest floor (changes texture) and W1 raise 24 (changes texture).

I apologise for my mistake. Guess i should have it tried myself earlier.

Maybe a vet should comment on this.