Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adz123

New Level: Computer Storage

I am currently working on a megawad designed for Doom 2. Work is very slow on the wad as i only have 7 levels that i am totally happy with, after ditching several others along the way.

Anyway, here's one of them. This download will eventually be MAP05 of my megawad, but you can play it on MAP01. I just thought i'd put something out there as the chances are ill never finish it!!

Any comments are welcome. Note: this has not been playtested by anyone other than myself, if you feel there are any ammo/health issues, don't complain, suggest instead!

I have tested this wad with following source ports and cant find any porblems. Risen3D, ZDoom and GZDoom.

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7245869

I didn't tried the wad yet, my suggestion is make it a 7 to 11 levels episode. Megawads are great, but unfinished and never uploaded ones not (specialy for the author). And small-mideum episodes also have their coolnes (most of the I prefer them over the 32 ones, of course are exceptions).

I did play it and it looks very nice great detail and nice spacey rooms.
Gameplay wasn't too bad either I had some narrow escapes from death at certain time.
32 maps with similar design would be sweet but I can understand that making an megawad all by yourself takes alot of effort.
This one sure was worth the download for me.

I like those animated computer textures I can't seem to find those anywhere.
Those will come in handy for some of my maps :)

Vegeta said:

I didn't tried the wad yet, my suggestion is make it a 7 to 11 levels episode. Megawads are great, but unfinished and never uploaded ones not (specialy for the author). And small-mideum episodes also have their coolnes (most of the I prefer them over the 32 ones, of course are exceptions).

Quoted for truth. If you don't think you'll finish it release what you have.

It would make an awesome series if ALL of your maps were as high-quality as your fisrt map. Your use of monsters and scripting was my favorite part. That actually made me jump several times.

Can we skip the "you prolly won't finish" posts this time please? Im sure he has already taken this into consideration. Even though he might not, we should be encouraging him to go all the way.

Oooh, very nice map. It never got annoying and didn't seem to be too easy, and overall it pretty much owns :) If the whole wad is like that, it'll be pretty amazing.

Hey, cool, glad you guys enjoyed the map. Ill *******ly do my best to finish it, but the chances are it will just be a mapset in the end. Im aiming now at doing 12 levels. The wad wont be themed as such, it will generally just be a collection of levels i am happy in accending order of difficulty. I hope the other levels please as this one did, they all vary in size, and the one available for download i think is the biggest so far, just to give you an idea. I've thown in a Map07 remake (not the most original idea i know!) but i really have always liked that particular level and have put my own spin on it.

Thank you for your feedback though, i really apprectaite it.

Fantastic. This is certainly a WAD I'll keep an eye on. I hope once you've finished the twelve maps, if they are as good as this one, that you do decide to take on the whole 32-level megawad.

Just a couple notes I made playing through once:

Standing near the switch that lowers the red key, you can see the key through the sides of the pipe thing.

Linedefs 3752 and 3728 are HOMs (in ZDoom, anyway)

What is the deal with the SFALLs and nukage in sector 638 with the barrels sitting in it? It just looked funny, like the floor there should be lowered by 8. Maybe I missed something.

Not sure if the music choice is final or not, but for me it just didn't fit. That midi fits better for me in somewhat creepy, darkish level. (personal preference -- feel free to ignore)

Good luck with the rest of the levels. I eagerly await them.

EDIT: Where is that pistol/chaingun sound from? It's one of the few replacement pistol sounds I've heard that isn't awful.

I played through quite a bit of this earlier today before going to work, and it was a lot of fun. The design was really nice-looking as well. One issue I had, using prBoom 2.4.2 on OS X, was that the pistol sound and a few other sounds turned into about 10 seconds of very loud random noise. o_O

Very sexy. I'd say the music was a nice pick. The archvile bars took a while to open though, might want to use some lowering wall trick instead to time it more precisely so the player doesn't have to wait.

Very nice, i liked. The bullet casing sound was cool but it did get annoying as time went on though.

I liked this.

Usually I'm not a fan of new sounds in any Doom wad, but these sounded good. The only sound I didn't really care for was the lift lowering sound.

The design of the map was layed out pretty good. Mostly good use of texturing throughout as well. I thought some of the rooms felt "squarish" and had mundane detailing (how many times do I need to see that compwall texture?), but overall it was pretty good. I also fall victim to the random detailing that most mappers do, so don't take it personally.

I thought the room with the bridge over the slime pit and archville was really cool, and the gameplay just lent itself to that moment. Speaking of which, the gameplay was also really good. I would love to play a megawad that has that kind of pacing - really well done.

RoneKyakone said:

Standing near the switch that lowers the red key, you can see the key through the sides of the pipe thing.

Linedefs 3752 and 3728 are HOMs (in ZDoom, anyway)

What is the deal with the SFALLs and nukage in sector 638 with the barrels sitting in it? It just looked funny, like the floor there should be lowered by 8. Maybe I missed something.

Good luck with the rest of the levels. I eagerly await them.

EDIT: Where is that pistol/chaingun sound from? It's one of the few replacement pistol sounds I've heard that isn't awful.

I had'nt noticed the red key apprearing through the texture before. But I just ran it through and found that problem to only be in Zdoom. I may have to come up with something alternative for that.

Those HOM's are being dealt with at the minute, a couple of people have metioned those to me before.

As for the Sector with the Sfall's texture in it. I suppose everyone interprates things defierrently sometimes. I just imagined that sector to be a basement, as such with the nuke seeping down through the walls from sector above with the archviles in it.

Unfortunatly i cant quite remember where i got the pistol sound from as i replaced the sounds a while ago now. You might reconise some of the other sounds i have used for Doom3 and Quake 3, but i have a feeling the pistol sound did'nt come from there.

Thanks for your feeback though, it's been a good help.

esselfortium said:

I played through quite a bit of this earlier today before going to work, and it was a lot of fun. The design was really nice-looking as well. One issue I had, using prBoom 2.4.2 on OS X, was that the pistol sound and a few other sounds turned into about 10 seconds of very loud random noise. o_O

I have noticed this kind of problem in the before, although not in PrBoom, but in the eternity engine. Unfortunatly i have no idea how to overcome this problem. I may just specify in the final text file the correct ports to play the wad. Glad you enjoyed the Map though.

Belial said:

Very sexy. I'd say the music was a nice pick. The archvile bars took a while to open though, might want to use some lowering wall trick instead to time it more precisely so the player doesn't have to wait.

Interesting. What kind of trick could you suggest for Doom2 that i do?

Thanks again for all the comments though everyone.

The bars that close behind the player can stay the way they are, but the bars that block the other exit can be timed more precisely by making them a lowering wall and setting the desired floor height value (see 1024 map30).

Good map. Reminds me of a cross between E1/E2 and Final Doom, something which is enhanced by the music.

I really like this map. I've played it a dozen or so times now. It's good fun, plays well, looks good and doesn't try to over-reach itself at any point. A very nice not-so-little map. Personally, I loved the music. I thought it was a bit different, but very fitting. In fact, it's one of the things that helped sell me on the level the first time through.

In addition to the problems already mentioned, there is one crate with shotgun guys on it in the room with the barrels sitting in the slime falls. This crate has something like 4 shotgunners on it and it's very close to a fake 3D bridge that you have to cross to get out of the room. Now, this crate is close enough that I should be able to strafe-jump across to it from the bridge and pick-up the shotguns left by the killed zombies. However, you have made the crate lines impassable. I spent a frustrating minute or so bashing my face off the invisible barrier, trying to get on to the crate, assuming my jumping skills had "failed it" only to discover I couldn't get across no matter how hard I tried. The shotguns are not essential to complete the level: ammo is very well balanced throughout and I always leave the level with a minimal inventory of ammo. However, a few shells at this stage would be very welcome for anyone who bothers with the jump, yet you've made it impossible. Any reason why? There is another crate similarly blocked in the same room, but I don't think it would be reachable anyway.