Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom 2.4.2

The PrBoom team has decided to disappoint the adherents. The new version of PrBoom 2.4.2 depends from MSVCR80.DLL. Very few people has it. Also, the project for VC6 is unjustly removed.

IMO with VC++ 2005 Express freely available there is little reason to use something as old as VC++ 6.

The project for 2005 could be in addition to the VC6 project.
MSVCR80.DLL could be linked statically or placed in release.

This is almost completely a non issue; If you have Visual C++ Express 2005 or Studio 2005 on your PC (actually if you just have the 2.0 .NET framework) you have this dll. It may come with a few other Microsoft updates. Dunno if it comes with XP SP2/2000 SP4, but it might. Yes the DLL could be added to the Win32 release, but to be frank only a certain few need it.

And if you want to still use the VC6 project instead of the VC2005 one you can simply copy all of pr 2.4.2's source files and overwrite them over pr 2.4.1's source files. VC6 wont know you overwrote them with a newer version of the source and will continue on just the same. I have a hard time wondering why anyone would want to use 6 when they can upgrade to 2005 for free. I personally use Studio 2005 Professional but I have heard that Visual C++ Express 2005 is just as useful as what I have.

EDIT: Agreed with graf again heh.

Of course I have this DLL on my PC because I have VC2005. I speak not about myself. I speak about those who want to use PrBoom2.4.2 and will search for the DLL because the majority of potential users doesn't have the library as it is not delivered with Windows or Service Pack. Of course I can convert the 2005 project to the VC6 project, but there is no sense to delete existing universal things because VC6 project can be opened by means of any version of Microsoft Visual Studio, but now I am obliged to have last version of this. It is obvious nonsense.

entryway said:

Of course I have this DLL on my PC because I have VC2005. I speak not about myself. I speak about those who want to use PrBoom2.4.2 and will search for the DLL because the majority of potential users doesn't have the library as it is not delivered with Windows or Service Pack.

I'm gonna have to disagree there, more new programs are requiring that DLL all the time, and people who don't have it are simply behind. The fact is if one doesnt have it already this is a wakeup call. And I would say that more people than not would have it on their PC as of now. Yes it *could* be included with PrBoom's releases, but I don't think its as absolutely necessary as you do.

I suppose we should agree to disagree, because arguing about it is pointless; you think if Pr uses the DLL it ought to come with it and I (and Graf) do not. Why don't we let the PrBoom team decide should they come around and read it.

Of course I can convert the 2005 project to the VC6 project, but there is no sense to delete existing universal things because VC6 project can be opened by means of any version of Microsoft Visual Studio, but now I am obliged to have last version of this. It is obvious nonsense.

Well I guess. In many versions the Pr source came with a VC5 and a VC6 project file. I suppose it would now make sense to have it come with a VC6 and a VC2005 project file then? That would enable VC6 users to still work with the source while freeing VC2005 users from having to deal with the hassle of conversion.

I'm not impressed with PrBoom 2.4.2. What's causing this error?

A bit difficult to reinstall something which came straight out a zip file :/

The problem is ordinary users cannot understand why the program does not start. The error message is poorly informatively and therefore developers put this library (and even MSVCRT.DLL) in own releases in 99 % of cases.

Meh. I quite frankly think it can be excessive but I suppose Siggi's post makes your point. However its not up to you or I anyway so theres no use arguing about it anymore.

Siggi: EDIT: Most likely its an issue with your MSXML parser.

If I delete my msvcr80.dll I receive such message:
---------------------------
glboom242.EXE - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000034). Click on OK to terminate the application.
OK

And it doesn't tell what it's missing? Now that's pretty bad. Not knowing about the reason in advance, I'd just revert to an earlier version. And no, I don't have that file. I'm probably one of those behind ones.

The message has nothing to do with the OS being retarded. That happens when you remove a DLL from XP that has been installed in a certain way.
msvcr80.dll is not just copied into the system32 folder like older versions.

It only happens if you manually remove files from certain subdirectories in Windows you should have no business messing with. On a system where the DLL hasn't been installed the normal 'DLL xxx not found' message will appear - easily checked by altering the name in prboom.exe with a hex editor.

I tried getting PrBoom to run on Windows 98 but it will not work. The error is "The PRBOOM.EXE file is linked to missing export MSVCR80.DLL:_except_handler4_common."

I've tried placing the file alternatively in the PrBoom folder, the system folder, and/or the system32 folder. Just in case I've tried registering the file to Windows through regsvr32, but that failed with a message of its own.

Does PrBoom now require Windows XP or is there a workaround? If its Windows XP/2000 specific that should be noted on the webpage or the documentation.

2 Psycho Siggi
I receive the following message on any computer on my work (WinXP + SP2 and without VC2005 of course)

D:\!temp\prboom-2.4.2-win32\prboom.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
OK

Hence, you should find somewhere MSVCR80.DLL For example you can download VC2005 and install. It's free :)

2 Graf Zahl
What is most easier way to receive this library from Microsoft for ordinary users? Officially.

2) No idea. I normally don't use the CRT DLLs unless I have projects that contain multiple DLLs but should use the same CRT instance.

It's really too bad that M$ has to do a completely new CRT DLL for each compiler version. It makes things needlessly bloated.

I tried installing this into my system, and after unpacking the installer file with 7-zip and editing the included batch slightly I managed to make it more or less work... or apparently dump some files into my system folder, at least. Which changed nothing. It does say it's compatible with Windows 98, but I've no idea if that's totally true nor if the issue is more in PrBoom that the DLLs included in the package (particularly the one required). I downloaded vcredist_x86.exe.

No matter what Windows OS you use the files belong in %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\, after that you may have to reboot for the added dll's to be recognised by your system.

Has anyone using Windows 98 gotten it to run?

I haven't; and, as of yet, I'm not going to bother.

Has anyone tried contacting PrBoom makers or something?

You know its still buildable in VC6, all that should have changed to make it for VC2005 was the project file.

Just to clarify things.
The dll file MSVCR80.DLL did not solve the problem, instead I had to install this to get it to work.
Good thing I only have to do it once.

Thanks for the responses.

Edit: I was using XP SP2 the first time, then I did a test and it seems to work on Windows Me as well. So I'm guessing it would do the same for Windows 98.

So that's where the rumors came from that even native executables created with VC 2005 needed .NET.

In this case it appears to be preferable not to use the CRT DLL at all.

The reason I switched to VC 2005 is simply that it's freely available and everyone who cares can download it and compile PrBoom.

The reason I deleted the VC6 files is that I don't have it installed anymore, don't care to install it anymore and thus won't update them, so they would quickly get out of sync and of no use to anyone. If there are volunteers who will maintain them, then I will happily readd them. Just contact me.

I will investigate the DLL problems. I'm installing Win98 right now in a VM. You guys know this thing is 9 years old, right? Even Win98 SE is 7-8 years old now. And don't say Doom is even older, it's different, because we still maintain it unlike Microsoft does for Win98. If anyone needs those DLLs, there is an installer especially for this: vcredist_x86.exe at Microsoft. Copying Dlls around doesn't work because of interdependencys.

Why are people not contacting us when they have problems, I only ocassionally look into these forums. We have bug trackers and mailinglists.

proff_fs said:

If anyone needs those DLLs, there is an installer especially for this: vcredist_x86.exe at Microsoft. Copying Dlls around doesn't work because of interdependencys.

If anyone needs those DLLs (it should be read as "if anyone wants to start latest PRBoom") he should read this thread :))

Why are people not contacting us

I tried to contact you some time ago, but with no success

I will add this to the documentation, problem is many people don't read it. I hope a place in the release notes and on the website is enough. I would like to keep the releases in rather small zip files, but if all fails I will have to write an installer and bloat the download with stuff you normally need to download only once for several programs.

Generally it's better to use the mailinglists or #prboom on irc.freenode.net or #doom-tech on irc.oftc.net than to e-mail me directly. I don't remember getting anything from you recently.

If you plan to release the new version in the near future, I could prepare a patch for you with following improvements:

• Changes in processing of spechit overflow for correct playback of some Xit's demos on scythe2.wad\map02.
  • GLBoom will try to set the closest supported resolution if the requested mode can't be set correctly. For example glboom.exe -geom 1025x768 -nowindow will set 1024x768. It affects only fullscreen modes.

2.2.6.29 @ 2006.06.08
    [+] Detection and emulation of spechit overflow for dosdoom and tasdoom compatibility. There are no more desyncs in the following dosdoom demos: flsofdth.wad\fod3uv.lmp, hr.wad\hf181430.lmp, hr.wad\hr181329.lmp, icarus.wad\ic09uv.lmp
    [-] PrBoom bug: The sky in the third episode of Requiem was not drawn. It did not work correctly because the SKY3 has a zero index in the TEXTURE1 table. Textures with a zero (FALSE) index are not displayed in vanilla - AASHITTY in doom2.wad for example. But the sky textures are processed by different code, which does not have this bug. This bug is also present in the current GZDoom, but it only draws the wrong sky instead of drawing no sky at all.
    [-] PrBoom bug: The "Show coordinates of automap pointer" setting has no effect.

2.2.6.27 @ 2006.04.05
    [+] PrBoom compatibility: two new options for intercepts overflow detection. It detects and tries to emulate overflows on some odd demos like blackbug.lmp, manorbug.lmp, hr27odd.lmp, av08-odd.lmp, etc.
    [+] Autorun: the "RUN" key inverts the autorun state

[+] Demos: option for smooth turns during viewing of demos. It makes sense for TAS demos recorded with slowmotion.

[-] GLBoom bug: wrong display of a middle texture if it exceeds the boundaries of its floor and ceiling.

Also, I would like to receive from you correction of bugs on software rendering:
    1. Big slowdown near walls on any resolutions more than 640x480 (20 fps on p4 3.2 and Radeon 9800 Pro)
    2. Wrong system of illumination on same resolutions (see Eternal, zdoom for correct)

proff_fs said:
    Even Win98 SE is 7-8 years old now. And don't say Doom is even older, it's different, because we still maintain it unlike Microsoft does for Win98.

They might not be updating it, but they still provide vulnerability fixes; yesterday I went to the Windows Update and they had a few new hotfixes, even some from this year. Anyway, some people here, who use PrBoom, use it.

Why are people not contacting us when they have problems, I only ocassionally look into these forums. We have bug trackers and mailinglists.

Personally I'd rather post here where there's a more dynamic interaction and where I post practically every day anyway. There's even a stickied "PrBoom issues" thread here we post in often. I mean, sure, you can't be going to every DOOM site to check just in case a bug was spotted, but these Forums have a lot of continuous PrBoom users; among those the demo recorders, who play stuff over and over and often spot or mention quirks and nuances.

The reason I switched to VC 2005 is simply that it's freely available and everyone who cares can download it and compile PrBoom.

From what we've seen we apparently need .NET, which seems to be nearly 300 MB in size.

What's so bad about linking the CRT statically? ZDoom and GZDoom are doing that and guess what - no such problems. The files are a little larger but that hardly matters in the end.