Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

PrBoom 2.4.2 Released

With all the fast paced Doom related news whizzing by us here at Doomworld, we somehow managed to forget to let everyone know that PrBoom 2.4.2 has just been released. The new release contains various display fixes and other assorted tidbits. You can get the full changelog on their website.

Better late than never: They haven't even noticed that EDGE has had a new release.

Out of curiosity, do people still use PrBoom? It often seems to me that players are more likely to use things like ZDoom, Legacy, Skulltag etc., while demo recorders either stick with doom2.exe (or doom2-plus) or use prboom-plus.

I really appreciate the PrBoom team's effort, though. :)

Schneelocke said:

Out of curiosity, do people still use PrBoom? It often seems to me that players are more likely to use things like ZDoom, Legacy, Skulltag etc., while demo recorders either stick with doom2.exe (or doom2-plus) or use prboom-plus.

I really appreciate the PrBoom team's effort, though. :)

for demoes, PrBoom and Eternity are the way to go. however, I like GL rendering so I usually use PrBoom now. but I still use eternity when I wanna cheat (mouselooking. :P)

Csonicgo said:

for demoes, PrBoom and Eternity are the way to go. however, I like GL rendering so I usually use PrBoom now. but I still use eternity when I wanna cheat (mouselooking. :P)

Many people on the demo forums here on DW seem to have switched to prboom-plus, though. :)

PrBoom is still the best way to go for dooming on non Windows OS's, the only other port that I know of you don't have to compile for other platforms is Legacy. And some people just prefer PrBoom to PrBoom+. The reasons why people would use it over stuff like ZDoom, GZDoom, and Eternity should be obvious: demos, purity, etc. As for doom2+, IMO its an interesting port, a wonderful contribution to the community, but practically its uses are a bit limited due to its 16-bit nature, uses which are filled by PrBoom and PrBoom+

Personally I use both PrBoom and PrBoom+ for standard play.

I use PrBoom for demo compatibility when I wanna watch demos. That's about it though.

I use Prboom-plus pretty much exclusively, but the official Prboom is still important. Any good new features introduced in it will probably find their way into Prboom-plus (and vice versa to some degree), so these two projects help each other along without really getting in each other's way either.

As for Prboom-plus on non-Windows platforms, I recall (from memory, which might be hazy) Andrey saying that it should compile fine except for the launcher and the alternative mouse support. I don't know if anyone has tested that.

Csonicgo: Prboom-plus has mlook (in GL only).

Good news. Proff finished merging all the changes from 2.4.2 to prboom-plus. Also he made some small fixes to allow compilation on Mac OS X. Tomorrow or sunday he will make it compile on Linux. Also, Proff has fixed bugs with big slowdowns near walls in software rendering at high resolutions (3x speedup with this demo at 1024x768 on my PC) and all lighting glitches on high resolutions also were gone

Some tests on my p4 3.0:

prboom242.exe -geom 1024x768 -playdemo fpstest.lmp
25 fps :(

prboom243.exe -geom 1024x768 -playdemo fpstest.lmp
76 fps!

All tested resolutions
1280x1024 - 134
1024x768 - 76
800x600 - 294
640x480 - 401

With the latest zdoom and similar demo
1280x1024 - 70
1024x768 - 92
800x600 - 109
640x480 - 428

It still more slowly on 1024 than on 1280 but at least it playable now

Prboom 2.4.3 is out now. This fixes compilation errors with GCC 4.1 amongst others.