Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stilgar

Feature Request: More editing features for PLAYPAL and COLORMAP

I have been finding XWE quite useful for the project I am working on, but I have found its features insufficient to achieve a few things I would like to do with PLAYPAL and COLORMAP. I know that the program "Inkworks" can do some of these things, but I would appreciate if XWE could do the following with the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP entries:

- Ability to specify a color fade for the item pickup effect in PLAYPAL, just like it already has for the damage effect.
- Ability to customize the invulnerability effect in COLORMAP.
- Manual editing of the COLORMAP, i.e. being able to choose a specific point in the colormap table and specify which color that point should map to. (As far as I know, this is something Inkworks cannot do.)

Good suggestions. The first one is already planned. If you grab the latest beta, look for "Pickup effect". It doesn't do anything yet, but you'll see the preview of the new "palette thing dialog". (It's been in there for a long time, I'm surprised no-one noticed it yet :-) Probably not too many people edit the PLAYPAL or COLORMAP).

For the second two: how would you customize the invulnerability effect? It would be very difficult to edit manually, so what's on your mind? A couple of presets? For the last one: are you thinking of editing individual points within the matrix? Or custom mapping certain columns?

For customizing the invulnerability effect, the way Inkworks does it is by allowing you to select a "light" color and a "dark" one, and it makes all the colors map to points on the gradient between those colors based on their brightness. Other presets might be cool also, though.

For the manual colormap editing, yes, I'm thinking of editing individual points in the matrix. Isn't editing by column already partly available via the "rebuild partial" option? However, one thing that would be useful to have a column edit for would be to make certain colors that don't fade (like the fullbright colors in Quake). Such a map might not be useful in all cases, but I can see uses for it.

Hmm, the forum should show messages going further back. I had to search for this post. It takes me a while to get back to these issues, but I'm on them...

Anyway, I added many of your requests, so grab the latest beta. Try the new Palette menu items, you can generate Damage, Pickup and RadSuit effects (with preview)! The Create Gradient menu item also uses the same dialog box, it's much easier to create gradients this way I hope.

For colormap, use the Build Invulnerability Map. It asks for the start and end colors. It will confine the end colors between to that range. So for example, if you are using the original Doom palette, 112-127 will create a green invulnerability map.

Play around with it, let me know how it goes. I'm sure there's still lots of room for improvement.

With this very latest beta when I wish to do an Undo, I go Edit Undo Rename Entry or Undo Apply Image Offset and I get this error message ...

I/O error 103.

I then have to go to Task Manager to quit XWE.

Using Win XP Pro SP2

Thanks for reporting it, it's fixed. Grab the beta. Has anyone played with the new palette stuff yet?