Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
peach freak

Doom Builder suggestion (regarding removed sectors)

I've been getting this message often lately. When trying to test my map, I get an error message saying ZenNode could not build the nodes. And then when I re-open Doom Builder, I get the error "Note: X unused sectors have been removed". Then I have to play trial and error deleting random sectors until the error message goes away. Sometimes they mess up my map and then I have to rebuild from where I started deleting.

So my suggestion is this. When you get the error message "Note: X unused sectors have been removed", it should either highlight the unused sector or show the sector number, so it makes the fixing easier.

And my other question is how does Doom Builder recognize an unused sector? Most of mine appear inside my map, rather than outside the map.

Thanks for the help. I hope this can be implemented.

I was getting this a lot too. After convincing myself that my sectors were in fact correct, I changed nodebuilders from zdbsp to the zennode and the error message went away.

I use ZenNode as well but I still get the error message on occasion. I wish something was implemented to make the fixing easier rather than trial and error which on some occasions can mess up your map.

An unused sector is a sector which has no sidedefs in your map. Because it has no sidedefs, you cannot see it and it has no purpose, so it is considered 'garbage' in your map. Hence why Doom Builder cleans it up. Do not worry about the message, DB only informs you politely that it did that to your map, there is no drawback in it.

Yeah but when I get that message, I always get an error when building nodes, whether I am saving a WAD, testing a map, or even going into 3D Mode (where 3D mode won't run at all if there is an unused sector). Do you know a way to get around this?

No, but I know Doom Builder has no problems with unused sectors in your map. Might want to try a different nodebuilder or different nodebuilder parameters (see the nodebuilder's manual).

See, here it is happening again in my map. I kept getting this error and it won't go away. I deleted random sectors, half the map, and it STILL won't go away. It stops me from going into 3D Mode, I can't find the sector, and I tried a lot of the sectors and it won't go away. Now it's becoming really annoying and it's slowing down my mapping progress. Any help over here?

I got it, but finding the solution was a major pain in the ass. Reinstalling Doom Builder and the nodebuilders worked and the error went away, but I'm still for the idea of highlighting the removed sector when you get the message upon opening your map, because it messes up my node builder as well.

Check the Zdoom website. Randy released an updated version of the ZDBSP nodebuilder that fixes the random crashing you've been getting.