Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

New Sauerbraten, now with Normalmapping

I think you're getting too excited. Normal mapping isn't as good as it used to be and almost every tom, dick and harry engine has it :\

leileilol said:

I think you're getting too excited. Normal mapping isn't as good as it used to be and almost every tom, dick and harry engine has it :\

Isn't as good as it used to be? Wtf does that mean? Normalmapping as a technique is only as good as the art you throw at it. The technique itself is only improving in newer engines. It's actually a key part in game resource design.

There's no good lighting model to take advantage of in Sauerbraten, so the normal mapping would only provide fixed position speculars and such :\

Is that a true geometric displacement/offset mapping system it's using, or is it a parallaxing method? Looks very nice.

It's Parallax. And yeah, really looks like they are coming out from the wall. Except for in the corners. :p

I was about to comment how nice it looked. Got any non-glossy materials to screenshot? Can't really run it here.

That's just a dev screenie I took from the Sauerbraten forums. I can take a shot of the start map in it that do feature some normal maps. But they are not very pronounced.

I played around with this new build. I like it, it's playing very fast, but there seem to be some bugs to work out, as the program tends to crash. Also, this intel card, even though it supports OPENGL 2 and directx9, seems to not like the normalmapping. Probably just a driver issue.

this engine could probably be used in more than just a game if it's getting this complex. I could map out the gaylord resort with this thing...