Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrdna1

trying to find a certain mansion WAD

a while ago I came across a really cool level for Doom (not sure whether it was 1 or 2) that was this gigantic creepy mansion ... I don't remember much about the plot or such, but I do remember that it was dark, labyrinthine, filled with those teleporting staircases (the fake floor-over-floor effect), and I think most of the interior textures were either grey or green stone of some sort.

A cursory glance at /idgames hasn't pulled up anything for me, so I'm hoping that someone knows what I'm talking about as I'd really like to play it again.

I think I have somewhat of an idea of what you're talking about. Are you sure that this level wasn't in a Megawad and not a single level?

I'm about 75% sure ... but to be honest, I remember so little about the level aside from the fact that it was huge and mazy and houselike that anything could be possible.

Teleporting staircases for RoR sounds familiar. I've seen it used on a ship once, but I also seem to remember some inside a large, dark mansion. Was there at least one room set up like a library, with notable amounts of bookcases and perhaps a ladder against one wall to get to the tops of the bookcases?

Unfortunately, I don't remember what the level was. I was thinking it might have been Mordeth E1, but I just ran through that and didn't see anything like what I'm remembering. I do know the one I have in mind is at least a year old, probably two.

For some reason, Malcolm Sailor's name is coming to mind. Maybe you should check out some of his stuff. Even if it's not what you're looking for, it's quite good regardless.

it's almost definitely an older wad ... probably at least three or four years old.

Heh, I've been looking through a few of my older saved WADs while I should be painting the kitchen. Now that you mention it, the level I'm thinking of was quite nice and I want to find it again, or else. I know it's here somewhere >:(

Stauf Mansion comes to mind, but I doubt it's the one you're looking for as it dates back to around 1996.

Uhm... teleporting staircases, library and bookcases make me think to Tormentor667's "Torment & Torture", but it wasn't set in a mansion. :P But the "ladder against one wall to get to the tops of the bookcases" and the adjectives "dark" and "labyrinthine" make me think to Gray Lancer's "Sacrifice in Blood", where there are also several libraries and bookcases, although I don't remember teleporting staircases and it's not set in a mansion, but in a huge temple...! :P But it was gray and green...! ;)
I suggest you have a look at the latter in the "Reviews" section and its relative screenshot section on my web-site ("Outpost of DooM 2": http://www.webalice.it/sposito.lag/).

RTC_Marine said:

reminds me of the ghost busters doom 2 mansion

WildWeasel said:

Stauf Mansion comes to mind, but I doubt it's the one you're looking for as it dates back to around 1996.

Those are coincidently the only two neat mansion levels I can remember.

Actually, i thought it was pretty good. And the rain effect was frickin awesome at the time.

I looked through a bunch of levels from the /idgames archives (pretty much anything with mansion/house in the title/description) and didn't have any luck. I kinda have the feeling it was one of the oddball maps from one of my old shovelware CDs and that I'll have to dig through those some day I have nothing better to do, but I still haven't a damn clue.

are there any utilities out there for viewing the layout of Doom maps, sort of like the Windows image viewer but for WADs? I'm almost positive I could identify it from that alone (since if I'm remembering right, there'd be four or five somewhat-identical maps within one level because of the teleport-stairs).

Fusion said:

Actually, i thought it was pretty good. And the rain effect was frickin awesome at the time.

Yeah, it looked good unless you turned on the nightvision mode. Then it looked like it was raining milk.