Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloid

Map Rework Competition #01

inspired by the megawad ideas thread I've uploaded an unfinised wad for you to use as the bas for a new map here are the rules

1. must be (chocolate) doom compatible

2. use only original doom or doom2 iwad resources

3. that's it

so you can, in theory, totally delete the entire thing and start over.. Entries will be judged on entirely whimsical things, but be warned: something that doesn't look or feel much like the original will be randomly judged downward. so, move switches and doors around, convert that empty room there into a crate maze, add a slime pit, some monster traps. It's a bit small so you can make it a little bigger if you need to.

i will answer questions that appear in this thread and modify this first post to reflect any rule changes or criteria as they solidify

EDITS:

- coop: desirable but not required

- time limit for entries: 14th august (open to review)

- the blue key should remain in the outside area and be visible from the start area. if you want to add an outbuilding with the key in then that's fine, but you'll need to put the key prominently in a window

- similar rules apply to the yellow key and the balcony

- the staircase is lame, kill it, put something bigger in if you need to, but not the entire of e1m7, though that multilevel dark slime theme is pretty cool...

- Keep the Episode 1 feel in the texturing and design, but you can add your own interpretation, revenants and non doom 1 textures are fine, so long as the "feel" of it is suitably tech-basey then that's fine

- the best mapes (or all if there are only a few) will be put to a public vote.

So your saying to do a complete over-haul of a map and your going to judge it by whats pretty and what makes the map better than before?

Edit: does it have to be coop?

yeah something like that, in the linked thread there was discussion on the idea, including adding restrictions like what textures/sectors you were allowed to add. The approach i'm taking here is one of interpretation. It's clearly a Doom Ep 1 themed map in terms of it's texture set, so that's one limitation, but i havent said "only use e1m1" textures. it could easily have other textures and flats thrown in, so long as they reflect the feel of the original.

yes i know this is deliberatley vague. Imagine i'd written a play called Hamlet and was asking for adaptations, the basic characters and plot arc are there but the species, genders, locations and time period are vague. So long as the former remains recognisable then the latter can be anything (hamlet in space, hamlet with fish, hamlet in 1970s disco culture starring john travolta, etc.)

coop: desirable but not required
time limit for entries: 14th august (open to review)

I like this idea a lot, and it could turn very well. I think it might be wise, however, to lay down some concrete rules on how much can be changed, just so everyone is on the same page.

this sounds pretty cool actually. But I'm a bit unsure as well; we place enemies, items, etc throughout the level; try to keep an E1M1 feel to it, and everything, right?

But we need to keep this flow and room amount? Or could we branch out of it and add in a red key area or something?

Wait a sec, didnt i already come up with this idea? I remember making a post with the same idea.

Th0r said:

Wait a sec, didnt i already come up with this idea? I remember making a post with the same idea.

This is actually closer to my idea (which was directly inspired by yours, heh). Your idea was a map without any things, and the contest would be to add monsters, ammo, health, and other things, without modifying anything else. My idea was to have a basic map layout with no textures, no anything, and you'd have to interpret it in your own way. This competition is different from that in that you get more freedom with adding and removing areas.

*looks around* I mean, I'm not trying to be self-congratulatory or anything like that, even though it's probably coming off that way. <___<

Russkie said:

this sounds pretty cool actually. But I'm a bit unsure as well; we place enemies, items, etc throughout the level; try to keep an E1M1 feel to it, and everything, right?

But we need to keep this flow and room amount? Or could we branch out of it and add in a red key area or something?

spot on. Keep the E1 feel to it, but otherwise do what the Hell you like, you can still have revenants. you are most *******ely invited to add an entirely from scratch red key area.

here's the theme you should stick to

- the blue key should remain in the outside area and be visible from the start area. if you want to add an outbuilding with the key in then that's fine, but you'll need to put the key prominently in a window

- similar rules apply to the yellow key and the balcony

- the staircase is lame, kill it, put something bigger in if you need to, but not the entire of e1m7, though that multilevel dark slime theme is pretty cool...

- really, just relax, and create a subjective interpretation of the map

yes, you may use custom textures and flats, so long as they are in keeping with the general e1/techbase feel of it

BUMP

not many takers, then? anyone got anything to submit to claim the non-prize? or do i have to up it to boom-compatible?

Oh you mean it isnt allready? sorry... uh.. erm... Well Ill put my map up anyways, heh... Its boom only tho, cause I have a reverse building staircase. I duno, ill post it later tonight, probably in an hour... I wonder how many others are making maps :P Oh well, I hope I get good feed back.
-----[EDIT]------

Well, Seems Ive finished, only cause I rushed.

In the end I didnt feel like putting in any effort, so if it sucks... too bad. Anyways here it is. I got to the blue key, then thought *Bah, dont feel like working on this map any more*

But I do look forward to feed back :)
http://macro111.googlepages.com/MacroReWork.zip
Yes, this is boom-compat. IF you have a way to make a reverse building staircase, or if you feel the need, replace it with a lift, go ahead. Oh well.

Thats my entry, evin if Its Illegal

i'm not at work (and so not online) on 14th so will take stock of what's appeared on the 15th and deem if the level of interest warrants an extension. it would be nice to release a compilation of a handful of maps though

Macro11_1 said:

In the end I didnt feel like putting in any effort, so if it sucks... too bad. Anyways here it is. I got to the blue key, then thought *Bah, dont feel like working on this map any more*

But I do look forward to feed back :)
http://macro111.googlepages.com/MacroReWork.zip
Yes, this is boom-compat. IF you have a way to make a reverse building staircase, or if you feel the need, replace it with a lift, go ahead. Oh well.

Thats my entry, evin if Its Illegal

As usual, impressive stuff, Macro. Things you don't put much effort into put to shame a fair portion of the things I DO put effort into. The only part I'm going to bitch about is the nukage at the blue key. I was expecting to die on the way through it, and then ended up taking no damage. Just bothers me because I've been conditioned to assume that nukage will be damaging sectors.