Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rebdoomin

whats your favorite doom editor?

Doom Builder. It's easy for lazy and cheap bastards like me to churn out low quality maps faster the Slidge with it.

Doom Builder, but before I upgraded my computer, I used DCK 3.62 a whole lot.

so far i have only used Doom Builder. it works fine for me, despite the occasional program crashes. i have been looking to download other editors to see what else is out there.

Shadow Dweller said:

so far i have only used Doom Builder. it works fine for me, despite the occasional program crashes. i have been looking to download other editors to see what else is out there.

From the sounds of it, you're still using Doombuilder 1.67, which had all those annoying crashes.

Doombuilder 1.68
fixed all those annoying problems.

Enjay said:

DeePsea.

I thought those slopes in NJTheif's slopes looked unnaturally good. Doesn't DeepSea have some kind of slope maker or something?

Craigs said:

From the sounds of it, you're still using Doombuilder 1.67, which had all those annoying crashes.

Doombuilder 1.68
fixed all those annoying problems.

the funny thing is i have the same Doom Builder for three different computers (no, they're not all mine. i'm not that rich.) and my computer out of the three seems to be the only one on which it crashes, and i rarely use that one.

i can live with the crashes, after all they are not that big of a problem. of course one will happen before i can save my progress. I'll try v1.68, however.

Craigs said:

I thought those slopes in NJTheif's slopes looked unnaturally good. Doesn't DeepSea have some kind of slope maker or something?

It does have a number of prefab tools for making sloped structures, which I do sometimes use, but I don't particularly remember using them in that WAD.

ReX's Domed buildings in "Darkest Hour" have to be amongst the most impressive slope-related structures I've seen. IIRC, he worked them out with a pencil and paper and then did them manually (in WadAuthor I think).

I still use WADED, but I'll tidy things up with Doombuilder when I'm almost finished on a map.

I intend to switch to Doombuilder alltogether but it seems strange getting to grips with a new editor.

Well, we've had the "favourite monster", "favourite weapon", "favourite music", "favourite level", "favourite sound", "favourite spelling of favorite"... discussions of late, it's about time the editor one came up again. :roll:

At least it's been civil so far.

Craigs said:

Doom Builder. It's easy for lazy and cheap bastards like me to churn out low quality maps faster the Slidge with it.

Using a program that's simple and intuitive doesn't make the end product cheap or crappy. True, novice mappers can have an easier time with the learning curve using something like DB, but that doesn't mean advanced users are not making up-to-snuff maps. In the same way, using lower-quality or more difficult editors does not mean a person is better at mapping. Though it sounded like you were implying this, I may be wrong, though I wanted to point this out all the same.

I didn't think he was implying that experienced mappers couldn't use DB to make good maps. I think he was just saying that its an easy, approachable tool that lets people get on with creating stuff despite limited experience. That, in itself, does not imply people with better skills can't use it to make better, more advanced maps.

Doom Builder, but I want to start using Slade, or maybe use both editors, since they're both really nice.

jan__64 said:
All yadex here because it is the only Linux mapping tool I know of.

SLADE used to compile in Linux. Version 1.02, from what I can tell, was the last to use GTK and work in Linux (newer ones use wxWidgets, which ordinarily would work but still has some issues).

Still using WadAuthor after 5 years. I prefer sector-based editing over linedef drawing. Occasionally, when I'm too lazy or tired to figure out some texture offsets manually, I'll use Doom Builder's 3D mode.

i use (and love) DoomBuilder but i cut my teeth with WadAuthor. DeepSea is alright but i don't like the feel of it for some reason.