Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Daak

Doom Mods?

I recently got the Doom Collectors Edition and am using the Doomsday Engine with it and the PSX sound effects and music. Now I’m looking for mods for other functions that would make the Doom experience even better but I’m not sure they exist or work through the Doomsday Engine.

- A way to combine all the Doom WADS so all the levels can be accessible without exiting the game each time.

- A level select mod where I can change the level easily inside the program without remembering and typing in map names.

-A random level/weapon/ammo generator mod so Doom never gets old!

Anyone know where I can find these mods/addons?

Daak said:

-A random level/weapon/ammo generator mod so Doom never gets old!

You don't need a randomizer for that purpose. There are thousands and thousands of user-made addon wads (referred to as pwads) that you can play, many of which are as good as or better than the original games. The first place to look is here, and if you search these forums for terms like "favorite megawads" or "favourite episodes" you'll find lots of threads where people have recommended their favourites.

You might also want to consider getting more than one port: Though Doomsday is well ahead of the pack when it comes to graphical enhancements, some of the other ports contain a lot of customisability which WAD authors have used to their advantage over the years.

As for a random level generator, look at SLIGE, though it's output is nowhere near the quality of human made maps and the maps it produces can be fairly predictable. The maps are decent for quick blast if you're really bored, though it is recommened that you play human made maps because they tend to be better (As I've said). Note that SLIGE hasn't been updated in a long time.

With all the custom maps there are on the archives, you won't need SLIGE.

Thanks for the info but I don’t think SLIGE is what I’m looking for – I’m looking for random levels/weapons/ammo within the three Doom games. I appreciate player made levels but its not the same experience as what I’m suggesting. Actually, it’s hard to believe that these things don’t really exist considering how they could boost the replay value/easy of use.

Daak said:

I appreciate player made levels but its not the same experience as what I’m suggesting.

There was a randomizer in one of my D!Zone packages called RanDoom. It had options to randomize various game criteria from things to sector specials, and iirc it also had safeguards such as don't randomize secrets or light levels or don't include bosses in the thing randomization, etc. I was surprised it's missing from Doomworld's utilities section, but if nobody else has it or you can't find it, perhaps I could zip the program off the CD and send it to you. It's supposed to work on custom levels as well as originals.

Lüt said:
There was a randomizer in one of my D!Zone packages called RanDoom.

It's in the idgames archive as rdoom165.zip. The version on my D!Zone disc is 1.4 and from what I remember only works with registered Doom, this is 1.65 and if the date (05/18/94) is accurate, so will this one...

Aha, good find. I don't know the version of the one I used, but I see it's on the second D!Zone CD and I know it's compatible with Doom2 because I specifically remember a map15 randomization. Back of the box says it changes walls too, but I don't remember that O_o

Tango said:

With all the custom maps there are on the archives, you won't need SLIGE.

For Heretic and Hexen levels it may be needed, there's isn't a lot of good quality works for these games...

And speaking of D!Zone, does anyone know a way to grab them (I know there's two D!Zone, and a H!Zone with a dozen of new heretic/hexen episodes/hubs) ?

Naan said:

And speaking of D!Zone, does anyone know a way to grab them (I know there's two D!Zone, and a H!Zone with a dozen of new heretic/hexen episodes/hubs) ?

WizardWorks, the publisher of the D!Zone and H!Zone CDs, capitalized on the lack of widespread internet availability in the mid-90s and realized there was a market for add-on wads. They simply downloaded the contents of cdrom.com and packaged the files in those CDs for sale. Most of the wads, having been developed in the early years of DooM, were quite terrible. Still, the CDs offered a convenient way to get thousands of wads.

Now, to answer your question. As far as I know, the CDs are only available commercially - i.e., you have to buy them. They are available on eBay, but are probably not available in stores (even in the bargain bin).