Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well hello everyone. I'm new to these boards but I was wondering if there was any interest in a wad to replace an episode for heretic. I have played virtually every shooting game out of the classics (up till around the time half life and unreal came out), and I really love this game. Doom and doom II were great games but for some reason I just like heretic a little more. I've always wanted to design an episode for this game but I would also like people to play it. So if anyone could tell me if there is any want for this type of wad let me know.

Heh. Nice timing. I've been having some behind-the-scenes discussions with Heretic mappers or others interested in mapping for Heretic. I was going to post a similar topic soon, after we had established a few commitments, but as long as you're here now, yes there's definitely an interest, and it's for much more than a single episode.

The only problem is that everybody interested (who I've spoken with thus far) has got to get some other stuff out of the way before getting involved here. Myself included.

Not sure about levels, but I'm already working on a Heretic-specific weapon mod, and there have been two complete Heretic weapon mods in the past (Xaser's Futuretic and TDA's HereTech).

Korax said:

Well hello everyone. I'm new to these boards but I was wondering if there was any interest in a wad to replace an episode for heretic. I have played virtually every shooting game out of the classics (up till around the time half life and unreal came out), and I really love this game. Doom and doom II were great games but for some reason I just like heretic a little more. I've always wanted to design an episode for this game but I would also like people to play it. So if anyone could tell me if there is any want for this type of wad let me know.

Nothing to add. I need more Heretic levels. I need H!Zone in order to wait.

edit: Release levels for Heretic, and Naan the mad will review them for you with the hope to find an AV or Eternal Doom proud equivalent to Heretic :)

WildWeasel said:

Not sure about levels, but I'm already working on a Heretic-specific weapon mod

Oh yeah? For what, ZDoom?

Naan said:

I need H!Zone.

No you don't. I have it, I've played through nearly everything on it, especially those "12 new episodes you won't see anywhere else", and there's borderline nothing noteworthy in any of it. At most, there was 12 decent levels in those 12 special episodes, the majority not even being up to par with the original Heretic maps. Any decent user wads from that thing will be in the idgames archive already.

edit:

Naan said:

Release levels for Heretic, and Naan the mad will review them for you with the hope to find an AV or Eternal Doom proud equivalent to Heretic :)

I'm reworking 3 of my episodes for the Eternity engine (or will be once Eternity finishes its Heretic support), but I doubt they'd join the ranks of AV or Eternal Doom. They're better than the worst maps of each, but probably don't compare to the best. They're at least consistent throughout.

Naan said:

Release levels for Heretic, and Naan the mad will review them for you with the hope to find an AV or Eternal Doom proud equivalent to Heretic :)

You'll be the first to know when I finish my episode. ;)

Lüt said:

No you don't. I have it, I've played through nearly everything on it, especially those "12 new episodes you won't see anywhere else", and there's borderline nothing noteworthy in any of it. At most, there was 12 decent levels in those 12 special episodes, the majority not even being up to par with the original Heretic maps. Any decent user wads from that thing will be in the idgames archive already.

I know there's an episode (dwarvenmines) that were once re-released by Raven as a Xmas gift, it was set in a snowy land, and it was pretty good from what I have heard of.

Don't know about others, but there are also stinkers in the idgames archive as well, like doom-converted levels *shrugs*

Naan said:

I know there's an episode (dwarvenmines) that were once re-released by Raven as a Xmas gift, it was set in a snowy land, and it was pretty good from what I have heard of.

Yeah, I remember the snow one as one of the better ones. Or at least the first few maps were quite good. Unfortunately, I think they were rather small as well.

Naan said:

Don't know about others, but there are also stinkers in the idgames archive as well, like doom-converted levels *shrugs*

Heh, most of them are stinkers, but some good ones exist. Pablo Diccter's come to mind, as well as Udderdude's Hordes of Chaos series.

WELL COOL i WILL GET STARTED SOON THEN. i AM MORE INTERESTED IN LEVEL DESIGN THAN ANY SORT OF tc TYPE THING BUT HOPEFULLY THESE WILL BE GOOD. oops capslock lol.

Anyhow, would it be possible to have these H!Zone levels uploaded in the archive ? Or is there still a copyright on them ?

No you don't. I have it, I've played through nearly everything on it, especially those "12 new episodes you won't see anywhere else", and there's borderline nothing noteworthy in any of it.

Very true. I remember playing Wizard Work's Duke 3D maps and getting a distinct sense of deja vu. They'd actually converted the Heretic maps from H!Zone and used them for the maps.

Korax said:

WELL COOL i WILL GET STARTED SOON THEN. i AM MORE INTERESTED IN LEVEL DESIGN THAN ANY SORT OF tc TYPE THING BUT HOPEFULLY THESE WILL BE GOOD. oops capslock lol.

roflturds

I agree, I think most people are far more interested in maps than any kind of TC (perhaps because Heretic is largely considered a Doom TC in and of itself). I just like Heretic for being Heretic - not interested in having that changed. Have you done any mapping before?

Naan said:

Anyhow, would it be possible to have these H!Zone levels uploaded in the archive ? Or is there still a copyright on them ?

I'm quite sure they were intended to be exclusive to H!Zone. Some of them even had installers (though this was for the sake of modifying the IWAD in order to add custom flats and sprites). I can check the documentation for sure, but I doubt it's legally possible.

JoelMurdoch said:

Very true. I remember playing Wizard Work's Duke 3D maps and getting a distinct sense of deja vu. They'd actually converted the Heretic maps from H!Zone and used them for the maps.

Haha.

Well that's a gaudy move.

Usually things are converted because they're good in the first place.

OmegaJ4 said:

I'd really love 6 new episodes.

Well, 3 may be closer than you think. I just got the newest Eternity revision working with Heretic and zomg portals work ^_______^

(I've been waiting on that for about 2 years.)

Yeah, I used to have an old hosted site on raven-games.com... back when wmull and I were good buddies, heh... I just found the site archive in my /websites directory the other day, maybe I'll put it back in a temporary location for the sake of screenshots perusal.

I used to map for heretic. I have made a couple of maps and was going to make a Epsiode called Return Of the Sperpent Riders. It got to where map 2 was nearly complete, then I stopped. I wish I had finished it. I don't think I even have the maps anymore :( Well after CC 3..Maybe I will see if I can get back into it again.

I found heretic fun, how ever most people dislike it for limited resources of textures. And I also think that heretic need a megawad. (it would kinda also be the first for it ever, at least what I see as a real megawad). :)
I spoken with lüt about this.
Well, would anyone be interested in a cc kind heretic megawad?

i would definitely be intrested in a Heretic megawad. Heretic is great and not enough maps have been made for it.

Heretic combines the fun of blasting his way through monsters like in Doom, but unlike it, there's no "massive destruction" weapon that owns any monster in 1 to 3 hits like BFG9000, and the inventory makes the whole gameplay deeper, when is the better moment to activate a tome of power, to regain life with the gauntlets during a flask quartz shortage, or to launch multiples hellstaff rains on a monster heavy area ?

And yah, a(nother) Heretic megawad is needed.

I would definitely be interested in a Heretic megawad.

I am interested in a Heretic MegaWAD too! :) I have edited for "Doom 2", but never for "Heretic", though I probably like the latter better than the former! :P

What about Strife? There's only 3 wads in the archive for Strife and 3,000,000,000 Doom wads that rip Strife graphics.

Mmh since I (and others I'm sure) can't find the game in any shop very few will be those who will be able to play any Strife PWAD.

Upon further review, I would like to comment on Heretic's texture selection, or lack thereof.