NBv4

WADs in diffrent folders

I'm trying to re-organize my Doom folder. This is how I'm situated:

C:
-Doom
--jDoom
--Legacy
--WAD

In the WAD directory I have all my wad files (such as av.wad, doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad etc...). What I want to do is have each port share the WADs so I don't have to have them saved more than once in diffrent directories. Under the Doom menu in the start menue, I have shortcuts to certain batch files I made for each episode/port combo. I am having trouble with the WAD file sharing thing, because it seems that Legacy is not wanting to run unless the WAD in in the same directory. Is there any way to fix this? My batch files look something like this:

legacy.exe -opengl -file C:\Doom\WAD\av.wad

It won't run this way because it keeps saying the WAD can't be found. Cound someone help me straighten this out?

What I want to do is have each port share the WADs so I don't have to have them saved more than once in diffrent directories.

King Elvis, you got another potential MyDoom Frontend user!

Ok, when I put:

legacy.exe -IWAD c:\doom\WAD\doom.wad

into a batch file, it gives me the error:

"C:\Doom\legacy/C:\Doom\WAD\DOOM.WAD not found"

I am not very good with MS-DOS, so I think the problem might be in the way I'm setting up the batch file.

you have a specified "start-in" folder, that's why the "C:\Doom\legacy" is added to the location of the Doom.wad. Try getting rid of the "C:\doom\legacy\" that's in the "start-in", althought that might cause another file to be misplaced.

export alias z="zdoom -file"

cd wad/dir/of/choice
z some.wad

At least that's how it's done in bash. But I'm sure there's a similar way in DOS?

mines is D:\Doom\ that way I don't have the same kind of trouble as NB is having.

I just throw everything in one big directory, called Doom2.

That seems to be the only solution at this point. ;p

I just throw everything in one big directory, called Doom2.

That's what I do, 'cept mine's called zdoom, even thought I've got all the ports in there.

Try to set DOOMWADDIR environment variable - in autoexec.bat add such string:
SET DOOMWADDIR=C:\DOOM\WAD
It works with (near) all ports. But original doom1/2 dont understand it, so if you want to use them, better move IWAD files to the same folder where EXEs are

King Elvis, you got another potential MyDoom Frontend user!

Wheeee, I'm a bit laste these days :)

However your're right...here is my announcment:

...control all your Doom ports with just one GUI

...store specific settings for every Doom port (resolution, renderer, additional commandline parameters)

...compose complex lists of Doom related files and store them in a database

...let Dr. WADson give you some basic informations about a WAD file

...link a special database to an IWAD

...store all savegames in a database in dependence of the selected Doom port and the loaded Doom-file-list

...load your saved games by their title directly from the frontend

...warp by selecting the level title (like Doom95)

...create, manage and edit configfiles for every Doom port

...use Plug Ins (Programs to start before/after Doom, additional DEH / BEX / WAD Patches)

...edit the cheats with an editor to override standard settings (generates a DEH file)

...store servers for multiplay in an adressbook (every Doom port has its own)

...maintain your Doom-file-list database (import / export / reorganization / integrity test)

...edit most of the frontend's settings to fit your needs (all stored in cfg files)

...control some special features via the frontend's own console / interpreter (work in progress)

...define Virtual WAD Files (VWAD's)

Everything is available at http://kickme.to/theking

The last pre-release version can be found here:

http://kingdoom.caldarone.de/pre/kdfrontend3-1-26.zip

Yup I've always had the same problem with Legacy so I keep all the wads in the Legacy file and set the paths to the other ports.

your a rebel living on the edge

It's "you're".

Thank God. I've seen that mistake so many times I was actually doubting about wich was the proper one.

its quite easy acutally. you see you're is a contraction of the 2 words "you" and "are". the apostraphe takes the place of the missing letters, whereas your is a single word seeing as it has no apostraphe. the wonderfull english language is full of things of this sort which is why it is one of the more facinating languages. for more information contact james at b12345678dog@hotmail.com or cosult your local library, tell em james sent you :)

Its quite easy (COMMA) actually. You see(COMMA) (QUOTE)you're(UNQUOTE) is a contraction of the two words "you" and "are". The apostrophe takes the place of the missing letters, whereas (QUOTE)your(UNQUOTE) is a single word(COMMA) seeing as it has no apostrophe. The wonderful english language is full of things of this sort(COMMA) which is why it is one of the more fascinating languages. For more information contact James at b12345678dog@hotmail.com or consult your local library, tell them James sent you :)

You fail the spelling bee! See you next time, bye bye!

thats not grammer thats spelling

That's not spelling grammar and your grammar is shit anyway. Does your shift key work? What about this thing here ->.

=!22!