Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Scariest sound?

Nautilus said:
Are you kidding? That's a pretty hilarious sound imo

I wish I was. It just cuts through me like a dentist's drill. :-/

Bucket said:

But the Baron's wakeup sound can actually make me jump if I'm not expecting it.

Osht, I forgot all about that one. Yeah, the baron roar definitely ranks high up there on the scare-o-meter.

The growls and moans of the zombies on PSX/N64 Doom sound downright menacing. When you hear someone (or something) make a noise like that, you don't wanna fuck with 'em in a dark alley.

I really didn't find any of the Doom sounds scary since they were all taken from a sound board.
However, I did find the noise the paladin made when he fell from a cliff in Hexen kind of scary.

I have to admit though, when I was younger, I'd wince every time I heard the sound the imp, hellknight, and baron made when they were slashing something.

i hate the hissing sound of roaming zombies. especialy if I can hear it but have no idea where it is!

That's a wheeze, not a hiss.
Though I have to admit, in that crazy comp area of E1M2, that noise can get pretty scary.

The noise the Doom Guy makes in Legacy when he jumps.
It sounds like an overweight 12 year old getting punched with a mouthful of donuts.

deathbringer said:

The archvile's sound isnt very "scary" as a sound, but its scary in context, especially if you cannot actually see it in a tight area with a lot of pillars or boxes, are you in his line of sight or not? will 'hiding' behind that crate put you in harm's way? Also if you are fighting a lot of other monsters and have killed a fair few when you hear the sound, it means they are coming back to get you again!

yea, what i think.

revenant screech is prolly scariest, but it's the implication of the archvile sounds that gets me in panic mode, specially if i just cleared a room, gotta hurry before it becomes uncleared again

I like Hell Knight and Imp's sound in Doom 3. Because their sound is attractive and impressive.

The sound of them are the scariest.

I wonder how no one mentioned the Icon of Sin sounds (yes, the reversed Romero voice and the enemy spawning sound). In-game they're pretty atmospheric and creepy IMO.

In doom I'd say the revenants active sound is the scariest.
Regarding other games I's go with the sounds of the quake zombie; they're the most spooky sound ever IMO!

nategorga said:

The "A Secret is Revealed!" Sound always creeps me out.
I HATE to hear it at night.

What port's?

Doom 1: Baron of Hell's "RAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Doom 2: Archvile's "Mmrhrhrhrhrhrhrrrrrrr..."

Anyone play doom so much/so long, that when you watch modern films..any kind, every once in a while you will hear a sound from one of the demons in the game? I wish to god I could think of examples but I'm 110% positive I've heard them before. It is rare but it does happen..

The ones I remember hearing mostly are the biting noises pinky makes, sounds from the IMP, the door noises, so forth. Makes me kinda smirk when I hear it and I know exactly where the sound FX guys stole it from...

It's well-known that Doom's sound effects were taken from a sound library; that's why you've heard them elsewhere.

Devldawg7051 said:

Alright smart guy, if it had been THAT well known I suppose I would've known about it then, eh? Indeed.

I hope that was sarcasm... Just because you're not aware of something doesn't mean it's not necessarily the case.

I found it particularly amusing when I was channel surfing one day and heard the Doom door opening sound on some kid's PBS show.

Remember, most of Doom's sounds are from sound libraries, that is to be expected...although, sometimes it IS funny to hear Doom sounds in silly places such as kids' shows.

Bashe said:

Even though it's not that scary, the Archvile's active sound would probably be the most scary if I heard it in like real life and there was actually was one after me. Hear the Cyber's hooves but not knowing where it's at is also creepy.

The roar of the cyberdemon is pretty freaky. So is the sound of an archvile, so i agree with you there. that active noise is disturbing.

The first time I made it into the Tower of Babel and crossed the threshold to hear the cyberdemon roar through my headphones is still etched vividly in my mind. I literally hopped out of my seat and banged my knee on the underside of my desk.

The next five minutes were spent hiding in the tower while I calmed down, listening to that monstrosity stomp his way around outside.

And for my money, nothing beats the old school chortling of roaming imps.

Foofoo said:

the SS wakeup in wolf3d does it for me

The original one or the Doom 2 version? When I first heard him in Wolf3D, I thought he was laughing.

"Schutzstaffel" or "Hoo huh huh"?

the only sounds the ss trooper makes is "Schutzstaffel" and "Mien Leiben!" aside from the zombie groan when he is idle.

GoatLord said:

preferably not any user-made wads or mods.

Well the first sound to creep me out was a user mod that made the soldiers or maybe the imps say "He's over there" when they saw you. BTW if anyone knows what mod that was please let me know...

The sound that gets me jumping is the Demon wake-up sound. Particularly in E2M2, when you're carefully advancing but didn't notice the Demon hiding behind the crate. *GROWL* *YIKES!*

Checkmate said:
Well the first sound to creep me out was a user mod that made the soldiers or maybe the imps say "He's over there" when they saw you. BTW if anyone knows what mod that was please let me know...

It was used in Eternal Doom.