Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devldawg7051

Lonely vs Company

Does anyone ever get tired of being the "lone marine?" I think something I tended to enjoy about Q4 over D3, was just the introduction of a bit more interaction. I loved being the lone super badass Marine savin the world the first several times, but then doing it with other marines struggling by my side in Q4 made me feel a little more involved and to scale. The battle against hell is given this epic proportion yet, at the same time, the scale really is so very small. Maybe its just the fact this Marine we all play as is just the type to get there fashionably late (Ultimate Doom, your buddies go in, die, then you FINALLY get bored and wonder "WTF, Mate?" - Doom II, your fuckin around on Mar's and when you FINALLY get home earth's one big crispy critter - D3, you get back to Marine HQ just in time for everyone else to be dead already). I dunno, I guess I just crave that massive epic battle between a bunch of hard assed marines pitted against seemingly endless hordes from the depths of hell. Thoughts? Am I speaking blastphamy when I say that maybe Doom would fare a little better with having a similar setup to Q4 in terms of not being the loner in a big invasion?

I generally like being all alone in horror video games, being desolate is an important key for atmosphere. It worked great in Doom3 as well, you weren´t always alone, but you were the only capable person left to do something.

Yea, I imagin your right in a sense. I guess I just want to see Doom go in a bit of a different direction. Back in the Ultimate Doom era, I could accept the whole lone wolf style of gameplay. AI wasn't nearly as capable as it is now. I guess with all the pretty graphics and what not, I'm lookin for a different kind of upgrade. Besides, I can't be the only one that stopped getting scared of the "Dark Hallway - Approach door - Open Door - Imp leaps at you - Kill imp - Repeat" Formula. I can justify D3 as being that way, but it's expansion or sequal, whatever, I think should've had a more group oriented mindset.

definitely! I always thought that the concpet of allies in doom could add to the horror.

Just imagine walking along with a group of marines when one gets pulled up into the airvents out of nowhere. And everyones like O_O.....eeek

if you randomise it to remove the scripted feeling, and had something like 25 marines . Then I think it could be really cool. You could start off with 25 barely known marines and wind up with 6 very close marines. And then for the last few levels just have you.

Then it could be really powerful.........

If you did it really well then you could make the player practically cry everytime a close friend is killed.

If Doom 3 was to be co op, then the demons have to be twice as hard, and there has to be twice as many. There has to be more ambush moments, the imps would need to run kamikazi towards you sometimes, yeah that would have been fun.

In terms of scare factor, it shouldn't just be that the player is alone - take their weapons, too! Or make the monsters powerful enough that the weapons won't do much good.