Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Grazza said:
Probably the most frustrating demo I have ever recorded:

What was the deadliest part? It would seem like you must have died all over the place given all those hitscanners with the chances to get stuck here and there (the bridge, and doors, especially). Infighting cleared a lot of the way in the demo. One thing must have certainly been painful is getting to that last Lost Soul but getting nailed as it idly moved forth.

Haha :-) Okay, I thought he meant "real" jumping (since he said it wasn't wide enough otherwise). Oh, and you did it in NM, not UV. ;-)

EDIT: Strange, your demo de-synchs for me. You just land in the acid pit and die. Did he change the map in an effort to "prevent" the jump?

Dunno if he edited that place, but he did remove the DB 3d start thing, which is enough for a desync I guess. Yours desynced on the old version as well.

I just did it in 9 seconds anyway :)

Hehe, nice. :-) I did an UV maxrun in 5:48. Only the third exit, so don't expect a blazing performance. A fun map to play.

EDIT: Here's UV speed and pacifist in 0:09, too, just for completeness. Thanks for the new jump, man!

Fantastic route, there. Hahah, I didn't even know about the rocket launcher! :-D

BTW, wouldn't it be good to use rockets for those hard-to-hit imps?

Yeah, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't run out of them at the archie in case something went wrong. I need to give it some rest, but yeah, that's how I'll do it if I feel like improving it a bit further.

myk said:

What was the deadliest part? It would seem like you must have died all over the place given all those hitscanners with the chances to get stuck here and there (the bridge, and doors, especially).

Let's see:
1. Up to and including the first crossing of the bridge: OK most of the time.
2. Pushing through the hitscanners between the two sets of doors: a high proportion of deaths here, as you can imagine. On some occasions the monsters in this area let me through easily, but that often just meant that they were far more of a problem on the way back (as they hadn't shot each other either).
3. I more often than not made it to the yellow key having made it into that room, but there were some deaths here simply due to the fact that my health was normally so low by then.
4. A blocked jump to the soulsphere often led to a quick death.
5. Lots of deaths on the way back to the door from there, often with my health being depleted more quickly than I could pick things up, especially if the archie wasn't distracted.
6. On the way back across the bridge - I rarely made it through this section, as there is so much that can block or kill you quickly. The PE was quite annoying here in particular. I think that the longer one spends in the yellow key room, the more likely the monsters are to have blocked the bridge.
7. From the bridge to the yellow key door. Normally the monsters were an impenetrable barrier, and I couldn't get into the room off the bridge.

One thing must have certainly been painful is getting to that last Lost Soul but getting nailed as it idly moved forth.

Yes, one of my early attempts (in 2003!) ended that way. On another attempt I tried to press the switch through the lost soul, but died in the process (it is likely to get in one attack on you before moving backwards).

Edit: I imagine this is a run where in large part, the faster you are the easier it is (as fewer monsters are in time to block your way back). Though that must be weighed against the time taken for infighting. If an attempt is made to improve this, I'd suggest simply running to and back from the yellow key by the most direct route, and hoping to survive - that might actually give a (much?) better percentage chance than the way I handled it.

Belial said:

Dunno if he edited that place, but he did remove the DB 3d start thing, which is enough for a desync I guess.

I did some testing of this issue a while back. When you record a vanilla demo with Prboom(+) on a map with one of these DB 3D things, the behaviour appears to be identical to that if the object is removed (without any other changes). I tested this with IASP - my demo there plays back OK in both Prboom+ and Doom2+ with a version of this map with the object removed. It had desynched when I tried to render it inert with a dehacked patch.

Of course if you remove the 3D thing and then rebuild the nodes, that will of course lead to desyncs.

Kristian: Thanks, but I don't consider it at all ill-mannered not to comment on all demos. If we did, then there would be an awful lot of chatter in this forum! For the record, I personally enjoy at least 95% of the demos posted here, even if I don't specifically comment on them.

Yeah, my max attempts play back fine with both maps, so I guess there must be some other cause for the desync.

Though I remember that adding even the most unimportant decor thing like a blood puddle or a tree in an inaccessible area was enough to desync the demos I did while testing my own map. OTOH adding architecture, making special linedefs and even making some doors open behind the players back (including rebuilding nodes) didn't desync it.

Grazza said:
Kristian: Thanks, but I don't consider it at all ill-mannered not to comment on all demos. If we did, then there would be an awful lot of chatter in this forum!

I know, and I share that view, but I consider it a "special" occasion when someone lets you know that they have finally completed the most frustrating demo they have ever recorded (your own words)... Especially when they've recorded a *lot*. :-)

Belial said:

Yeah, my max attempts play back fine with both maps, so I guess there must be some other cause for the desync.

Though I remember that adding even the most unimportant decor thing like a blood puddle or a tree in an inaccessible area was enough to desync the demos I did while testing my own map. OTOH adding architecture, making special linedefs and even making some doors open behind the players back (including rebuilding nodes) didn't desync it.

I widened some parts of the pit slightly in the final version of the map. Obviously I didn't widen it enough. I totally suck at strafe50 jumps, so I couldn't tell, haha.

The Fortified Castle
By Dominique Lavergne, March 1995.
Recorded with Boom 2.02
UV Max 23:58

Map Zip is here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1690

Pwads: Fortcstl.wad, fortgfx.wad

Only 200 UV monsters.
Fortified Castle has graphics from Heretic, tons of ammo and health, and is a nicely done map for its time... A real SSG blastfest.

boom.exe -file fortcstl.wad fortgfx.wad -playdemo fcsl2358

Or, might I suggest time demo to help speed up the pain:
prboom.exe -file fortcstl.wad fortgfx.wad -timedemo fcsl2358

A fun play, easily do-able map. I do not consider this run fast. This demo is very casual, and I have only done it because I like the map and there is no demo for it at DSDA. I leave with a mostly full backpack including 12 rockets and nearly 300 cells, with a lot of ammo left behind, so there must be a ton of better players that could improve it greatly, and I for one hope they do. I spend a lot of time, wasting time in this demo. I would not be shocked to see a good player cut my time in half or even more.

Enjoy and feel free to improve it.

Demo sent to Doug.

Did a run for "The Fortified Castle". It's a UV-Max with a time of 8:29. Changed up a few things to Searcher's route and generally went more aggressive in several spots.

Pretty good, but some spots early on were a bit rough. A couple mishaps later on, but hardly time consuming.

Oh, and I had a bit of a jump at the end. You'll see.

I'm thinking a low 8:xx, perhaps even sub 8, is possible for this map.

Oh, and the music on this level is sweet too for that matter :). Any idea where it came from? I swear I've heard it before for some reason.

Anyways, I'll send the run to Ops now.

Anima, sounds outstanding! I will love to see it. It is a fun map. I am somewhat surprized there has never been a demo for it at DSDA. Looks like there will be now.

I have no clue what the music is but I like it as well. The music is also good in either his water or rescue wads too.

Thanks.

(edit:typo)

The Fortified Castle UV Max in 7:11.

My SSG is terrible in the demo, but my attempts to improve the time have failed (best one was a 7:17). I'm just too tired to continue.

Edit: 6:59 :D

With that off my mind, I can finally get some sleep.

YIKES! I had no idea you guys could get these kinds of times on that map. Holy crap! WOW! NICE job to you both. I guess I better stick to mapping or something else. ;)

Great demo Belial! It does look like a good map and i'll have to play it at some point, though not for speed cause it looks like you have already optimized it nicley.

The music in the wad for your information is from the musical "Phantom of the Opera", infact the song itself is called "Phantom of the Opera"

Hmm sounds like a popular map ... :) Will download it and watch the demos today evening. And also the others which were mentioned in this thread.

After watching the UV Maxes and playing the map myself, I found it quite enjoyable and did a UV Speed in 1:43. Very casual demo (second exit), and had my first exit not been so riddled with bad luck, I would've settled for that. This features a much faster pace at the start, though, so it was for the better.

DomRem said:

After watching the UV Maxes and playing the map myself, I found it quite enjoyable and did a UV Speed in 1:43. Very casual demo (second exit), and had my first exit not been so riddled with bad luck, I would've settled for that. This features a much faster pace at the start, though, so it was for the better.

Heh, someone always seems to do a demo I do here in my spare time :P. I did a UV-Speed myself for this level. Time for it is 1:41. I think the best time could be around 1:38-ish or lower here.

Will send to Ops now.

Have more spare time on your hands, Anima? :P

New UV Speed in 1:36. This demo is much faster than the previous one, but at the expense of any beauty whatsoever (the blue key route is particularly ugly). This is the result of me losing patience with the level completely.

The demo is evidence that the run can still be improved, though, so I'll probably work more on this, despite said lost patience.

DomRem said:

Have more spare time on your hands, Anima? :P

New UV Speed in 1:36. This demo is much faster than the previous one, but at the expense of any beauty whatsoever (the blue key route is particularly ugly). This is the result of me losing patience with the level completely.

The demo is evidence that the run can still be improved, though, so I'll probably work more on this, despite said lost patience.

Why yes, I still have spare time on my hands here :).

Improved the UV-Speed over this level to 1:31. I take the green armor after waking up the Barons/HK and getting the SSG. I don't think you lose any time compared to your strat in the 1:36 run, or if you do, it's very little compared to the much higher chance of survival.

Plus, instead of gunning down a bunch of CG'ers en route to the BK door for fear of possibly getting killed, I had enough health/armor to plow forward right away, even getting an infight between it and a manco in the next room, which was perfect here.

Still can be improved. Getting past the Barons/HK ended up being ugly and I lost some good health/armor there. Also had to blast an arach outta the way in the BK room cause it was blocking my way up the stairs.

Other than that, everything else went well. I had a scare after taking the lift not too long after getting the YK. You'll see.

Sub 1:30 should be the goal here.

Sending to Ops now.