Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Things that Piss You off about Modern Day games....

Ichor said:

Games where it takes 3 days to get from level 1 to 90, then it takes 30 days to get from 90 to 98, and then 300 days to get from 98 to 99 assuming you aren't bored out of your mind from the endless experience runs.

*cough* Parasite Eve *cough*

I didn't like that game for other reasons. I played it for about 10 minutes before I got tired of it.

I loved Diablo with its dark and blocky labyrinth goodness. Heh, I noticed that if you turn off the sound/music in Diablo 2, it's funny to hear how much you have to click your mouse later in the game and higher difficulty levels to survive.

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK OH NO ITS A ZOMBIE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK I BETTER MOVE TOWARD HIM CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK GOTTA DRINK A LIFE POTION CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK NEED TO CAST MY FIRE WALL SPELL CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK GONNA ATTACK ZOMBIE WITH MY DIRK OF +30 POISON DAMAGE PER SECOND CLICK CLICK OUCH HE HIT ME CLICK CLICK OK THE ZOMBIE IS DEAD NOW CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK OH NO HERE COMES ANOTHER ONE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

I didn't mind the clicking, but the game just got real tedious by around level 85 or so. By the time I quit the game, there was nothing on the servers but BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN BAAL RUN

Although it was always fun watching the other saps get annihilated time after time by those Gloams (especially these), Frenzied Death Lords, Oblivion Knights, and exploding Stygian Dolls.

Hey that reminds me, I'm going to get Diablo II again, just for hardcore mode on Battle.net. The action-RPG experience isn't complete unless you have lived the HARDCORE experience.

So, what pisses me off in modern day games is the lack of a hardcore/ironman mode. I heard that one game Temple of Elemental Evil had it too but D&D's not what I prefer.

I only played hardcore once. I made it to level 23 and collected a lot of decent things, only to get killed by a level 80 or so necromancer. Of course, I lost everything, and I didn't want to go through all that trouble again.

GGG said:

At least Nintendo brought back a 2d Mario platformer.

And wouldn't you know it, it was done with 3D graphics.

Doing a game with 2D graphics is ludicrous these days. The space requirements are astronomical if you want something to look as smooth as a 3D game as you need a render of every frame of animation you'll use. This is especially true if you want more than a few different types of objects in your levels. No, the way of the future is to make something modeled in 3D look as good as it can. A 2D Mario game rendered with 3D graphics was *******ely a worthwhile move, as not only was it a space saver but the flexibility of full 3D graphics allowed for cool tricks like morphing terrain, easy morphing of different sized Marios, and much more.

Also take note of Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins on the PSP, which is a new 2D entry in to the Ghosts 'n Goblins series rendered in 3D (and in action it looks better than any previous GNG game did).

GGG said:

How about getting back on topic?

Now I said this on another website, but I'll say it again.
One thing I'm getting tired of in modern games is the omnipresence of 3D and polygons and all that jazz. We need more 2d games (shooters, platformers, etc).

You just reminded me of anouther thing that irks me. 3D games that have locked cameras so you can't look around and take in the neat 3D environment.... like Titan Quest. I played the demo and that was the end of that story.

Ichor said:

I only played hardcore once. I made it to level 23 and collected a lot of decent things, only to get killed by a level 80 or so necromancer. Of course, I lost everything, and I didn't want to go through all that trouble again.

I stopped playing Diablo 2 when I got a rare Vampire's Gaze helmet after a Diablo run, only to have someone hack my inventory, forcing me to run around in circles spewing my equipment. This was on Closed Battle.net. Bastards.

"Photorealistic" games where everything looks like smudgy plastic. I'll go on record as saying Team Fortress 2's graphics are 10x better-looking than Doom 3's.

I just hate the fact that gaming companies no longer take into account the whole idea of replay value, and if they do then they are doing a terrible job. Quake 4 was terrible because they scripted events that forced you to go where they wanted and didn't let you explore/investigate/go where you wanted. And the multiplayer doesn't even make up for it because it's only about as good as Quake 3. Doom 3 failed in a similar way and I think that iD and others need to reconsider how they make their products.

the thing about doom 3 and quake 4, and prey, and who knows how many other games lately and coming out soon, is that the designers are starting with the idea of making a movie sequence.

they get so set on giving you a specific experience.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

And you're a retard.

What the fuck, you are aware that you're a complete and utter retard yourself right? Please, do me a favour and take a bath with your toaster or something because i think i'll go into the corner and cry if i have to bear another one of your pointless posts with your idiotic jokes.

MasterOfPuppets said:
the thing about doom 3 and quake 4, and prey, and who knows how many other games lately and coming out soon, is that the designers are starting with the idea of making a movie sequence.

Given the backlash of this type of gameplay over the past couple of years, id Software says they made [Doom 3] like that because its what they're good at (I would agree) but realised that it really wasn't the most popular (or revolutionary) for lack of a better word for a game style anymore.
See the Q&A video of Quakecon '06 at idsoftware.com. Willits and Hollenshead have declared that they are working on a new IP supposedly still an FPS, and the next Wolfenstein. Generally they say that 'yeah, corridor crawls are pretty much what we've been making our entire careers, but now we're exploring and experimenting with a more non-linear gameplay appraoch in these new games.'
I still have faith in id; and Quake Wars.

Edit: I just read that Castle Wolfenstein's SP is development by Raven Software and MP is Nerve Software. Hmmm..

DeumReaper said:
id Software says they made [Doom 3] like that because its what they're good at (I would agree)

They made it like that because the game's forte was Carmack's coding, and the design was bogged down by limitations stemming from a combination of a lack of imagination and excessive production requirements.

To make a good game in a reasonable period you have to economize the production in order to enhance the game's playability, but DOOM 3 took a long time to make and wasn't too special per se. It's better as an "engine base" than a game.

Maybe Quake II was a bit like DOOM 3, but the others weren't that much.

By the way, is the complete death of the 'secret area' coming? So many games seem to be lacking in this department and I find that also pisses me off somewhat..

Joe said:

What the fuck, you are aware that you're a complete and utter retard yourself right? Please, do me a favour and take a bath with your toaster or something because i think i'll go into the corner and cry if i have to bear another one of your pointless posts with your idiotic jokes.

I wasn't talking to you...I was talking to Tango. I don't even know who you are or care what you think of me.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

I wasn't talking to you...I was talking to Tango. I don't even know who you are or care what you think of me.

Well hey, Tango was talking to Kaiser so maybe you shouldn't have commented on what he said! Try a better argument next time you mongtard. Also while we're on the subject of not knowing who someone is, to be honest i don't know who you are, apart from the fact that you're a prick of monstrous proportions. Perhaps you are some skulltag faggot or you play zdaemon, which would fit your gargantuan retardedness. Overall i'm sensing that you have a severe ego problem which makes you believe that you are not a fag. This belief is in fact incorrect.

Doom Dude said:

By the way, is the complete death of the 'secret area' coming? So many games seem to be lacking in this department and I find that also pisses me off somewhat..

If you make secret areas, then players might not find them and it would be a waste to make stuff players don't see!!!

Yeah, I mourn the death of secret areas as well. Some of my favorite moments in Doom were discovering vast quantities of secrets, like the road to the secret level in E1M3.

Doom Dude said:

A sense of humor is lacking in the current games industry, unfortunately. They only want to make games for the money and nothing else.

There are still games which reward inquisitive and explorative players, however the rewards have changed. Some games have unlockable features (cars, weapons, levels, game modes, etc.), others add small details -- in-jokes, references, or something else -- that pass by very briefly or can only be seen when facing a certain direction, and so on. If these count as "secrets" may well be discussed (easter eggs?) but at least there's often *something* there for people who've played the game over and over.

Joe said:

Well hey, Tango was talking to Kaiser so maybe you shouldn't have commented on what he said! Try a better argument next time you mongtard. Also while we're on the subject of not knowing who someone is, to be honest i don't know who you are, apart from the fact that you're a prick of monstrous proportions. Perhaps you are some skulltag faggot or you play zdaemon, which would fit your gargantuan retardedness. Overall i'm sensing that you have a severe ego problem which makes you believe that you are not a fag. This belief is in fact incorrect.

I'm glad to see my comments to people that aren't you have bothered you so much. You can have a flame war all by yourself...I'm not gonna let you ruin the forum for me.

When the mods warn me and say I've been causing trouble, I'll stop. But you're not a mod and I don't care what you think. You have anything else to say, PM me...you yourself are being an ass by fighting with me in someone else's topic.