Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JadedLexi

Hexen II -- good game?

I enjoy it, it's like an action rpg sorta. Gain exp and abilities while going through HUBs. Although you would do better things rather than go to a switch in one spot, than find another you would do real puzzles like gathering certain things to make a potion, or digging something up.

Do it, and get the expansion pack (Portal of Praevus) if you can find it. Both are good games and I still play them every so often. But beware...

You'll know what I mean when you see it.

KingofFlames said:
I'm considering on buying HexenII, but I want to know if it's worth buying or not.

I didn't like it much. It plays rather unevenly, and even aesthetically it looks somewhat clunky.

Maybe it could offer some fun on cooperative mode, but I've not tried it thus.

I'd rather play more Hexen, or Hexen's expansion.

I enjoy the first Hexen but I didn't find it so great cuz it just didn't seem RPG enough for me. It was really all about pulling switches to unlock a door in a world 2 cities away. Getting new weapons took forever too, but it was a step-up from Heretic.

I bought it when it cost $70 (no joke) and I was only a tiny bit disappointed.

It's not as good as Hexen, but it'll give you quite a few hours of puzzle-solving enjoyment. It uses 3dfx Glide for 3D acceleration, so you might have to use slow software rendering. If you want mouselook, there's a console command you can use (I forget what) which is better than the paperclip method that I used.

Strangly enough, people called it an RPG at the time it was released, but it's exactly the same genre as Hexen (FPS).

It's just keyhunting, with 10% of the action, and 200% of the keys, and 300% of the maps to travel in between.

Multiplayer is horribly imbalanced too. The game truly lacks depth, looks fugly (even in 97 IMO) and it feels more like a retail version of Ultimate Quake than a Hexen game. Perhaps it's because of the lack of John Romero as executive producer?

Got my copy for $38 in 1997.

I picked up both the game and the expansion pack for $5AUD a piece in 1999.

It was around that time I picked up Heretic 2 and the SiN expansion pack for $5 as well actually.

myk said:

Maybe it could offer some fun on cooperative mode, but I've not tried it thus.

Coop is pretty much the same as single player, except everyone does what they can to gain experience. It makes it more like a competition rather than working together.

AndrewB said:

It uses 3dfx Glide for 3D acceleration, so you might have to use slow software rendering.

Actually just delete the opengl32.dll file it installs in the hexen 2 folder, then it'll run in opengl on any card that supports it.

SlayeR said:

Actually just delete the opengl32.dll file it installs in the hexen 2 folder, then it'll run in opengl on any card that supports it.

Why does everybody keep saying this? If you delete the opengl renderer, it won't render anything, hence the big black screen you get if you actually test this method to see that it doesn't work.

Couldn't get into it, found it kinda ugly too. Some of the monsters are very annoying and the weapons don't feel very powerful, then again I didn't get very far.

Lüt said:

Why does everybody keep saying this? If you delete the opengl renderer, it won't render anything, hence the big black screen you get if you actually test this method to see that it doesn't work.

You don't understand. By default, Hexen II provides a 3dfx minigl wrapper for the Voodoo Graphics cards which were dominating the 3d card market at the time. They had no native OpenGL support, so a wrapper that translates opengl calls to Glide was required.

Deleting this file from the Hexen II folder will make GLH2.exe function, but of course looking incorrect, i.e. no overbright, no fullbright colors, etc. when compared to the software renderer (which is quite fast actually)

(Oh, and this is the most frequently asked question of GLQuake history.)

Hexen II was way better than the first game. Not asthetically, but gameplay-wise. There's no god damn 100-part switch hunts, that's for damn sure.

It's alright, not as good as the first though. Played multiplayer with my friend before. Coop was pretty fun, although Eidolon ended up glitching out which was shitty. Deathmatch allows for some real ruthless competition.

You can really cheap the hell out of people.

leileilol said:

You don't understand. By default, Hexen II provides a 3dfx minigl wrapper for the Voodoo Graphics cards which were dominating the 3d card market at the time. They had no native OpenGL support, so a wrapper that translates opengl calls to Glide was required.

Deleting this file from the Hexen II folder will make GLH2.exe function, but of course looking incorrect, i.e. no overbright, no fullbright colors, etc. when compared to the software renderer (which is quite fast actually)

(Oh, and this is the most frequently asked question of GLQuake history.)

Thank you! I was wondering how the hell to fix this! yay!

First of all: Please do get it, It's a very good game, nice exploring and the puzzles ain't to hard, also don't get Portals of Praevus off amazon these fags are selling it for nearly $80.

Also, You'll all be happy to know that there is a Hexen Sourceport, It has lots of new features, has a bloom effect to make the game look very nice, Is the successor to Newhexen and has OpenGL Support etc.

It's called UQE Hexen II and you can get it here:

http://www.quake-engine.com/

And here's the screenshots page if your interested:

http://www.quake-engine.com/screenshot.aspx?game=hx2

Ichor said:

Do it, and get the expansion pack (Portal of Praevus) if you can find it. Both are good games and I still play them every so often. But beware...

hatred

You'll know what I mean when you see it.

Oh god the memories GODDAMN YOU for reviving those memories

Have you guys checked out Korax's recently released Unofficial Quake Engine? Currently he has the HeXen II version working and is spending time on the Quake version. I think it's worth checking out. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it much tho..

Doom Dude said:

Have you guys checked out Korax's recently released Unofficial Quake Engine? Currently he has the HeXen II version working and is spending time on the Quake version. I think it's worth checking out. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it much tho..

he's ALIVE?

Wow this looks awesome.

Heh Hexen 2. That game was...yeah just heh.

Lüt said:

Because opengl32.dll comes with Windows since...god knows when. Thats how my copy of GL quake is set up, with the programme having to use opengl32.dll in my system folder, not the ancient (and in XP very broken) one it installs.

Doom Dude said:

EW!!!!! That guy's a GPL and EULA breaker and also thinks he's on a high horse like brad_tilf. What kind of source port needs to illegally distribute the files from the mission pack and close the source?

Here's a proper source port:
http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

Lüt said:

Actually I just tried it (renamed the .dll to .dll.old) and it works great. I guess maybe I'll actually play the thing again.

Another GLH2.exe issue, how the hell do I change the resolution? I've tried every conceivable command line I can think of, and when I boot her up, I either get the default res, or bad video mode and the game doesn't boot up. EDIT: I'll probably just use one of those source ports.

JHeXen makes the original HeXen feel like an entirely new game. openGL, high res textures, running @ 1280X1024 with blistering frame rate. Fuckin awesome.

Personaly I like it a lot, Hexen II and it's mission pack are my second favorite games in the Heretic/Hexen series (being Hexen my fav, and Heretic II my least). If you're not a Heretic/Hexen fan may be you'd prefer something else, but in case you are, you'll not repent of buying it.