Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JadedLexi

Hexen II -- good game?

POTGIESSER said:

Another GLH2.exe issue, how the hell do I change the resolution? I've tried every conceivable command line I can think of, and when I boot her up, I either get the default res, or bad video mode and the game doesn't boot up. EDIT: I'll probably just use one of those source ports.

Umm I went to the video section in Hexen II and it told me how to do it. I just created a shortcut icon and set its target to this:

"D:\Hexen II\glh2.exe" -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32

It works.

Kept me entertained at the time, but I thought the original was better. The easy skill speedrun was also a good watch because of the physics... the game has unbelievable speed increases from bunny-hopping in no time at all.

That puzzle was indeed a pain... although, the first Hexen also has its major quirk in the form of the 4th hub's final room. If the scripts don't work right there, you're fucked unless you resort to noclipping.

Vile said:

although, the first Hexen also has it's major quirk in the form of the 4th hub's final room. If the scripts don't work right there, you're fucked unless you resort to noclipping.

Heh... That happened to me when I played through the game a few months ago. The door to the 4th hub boss should have opened and it didn't open. I just typed puke01..puke02.. etc until the door finally opened. Whee.

Vile said:

Kept me entertained at the time, but I thought the original was better. The easy skill speedrun was also a good watch because of the physics... the game has unbelievable speed increases from bunny-hopping in no time at all.

That puzzle was indeed a pain... although, the first Hexen also has its major quirk in the form of the 4th hub's final room. If the scripts don't work right there, you're fucked unless you resort to noclipping.

I think it's possible for the scripts to go bad on certain hubs. For instance I recall one time when I couldn't get at the cave key in the cave submap of Hub2. I had got it before struggle free, but this time I couldn't get at it.

Map09, Sector 136, with a tag of 9, wouldn't open up. I had already got all the other parts of the puzzle. Just needed to cave key to get to finish the rest and I couldn't get at it. Drove me bonkers.

Scripting error? Or me unable to find as switch or something? The non linearity factor in some parts makes me wonder if it can cause the scripting to ocaisionally go bad.

AndrewB said:

Umm I went to the video section in Hexen II and it told me how to do it. I just created a shortcut icon and set its target to this:

"D:\Hexen II\glh2.exe" -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32

It works.

Actually it didn't work. But I figured out what my problem was, can't run it in 32bit for whatever reason.

AndrewB said:

Heh... That happened to me when I played through the game a few months ago. The door to the 4th hub boss should have opened and it didn't open. I just typed puke01..puke02.. etc until the door finally opened. Whee.

Their is a simple solution to this, when you enter the axe room, jump on the icon of the defender and kill the afrits but when the Chaos Serpents appear. DO NOT KILL THEM! Wait until 2 side walls open with dark bishops, then you may proceed to destory them.

POTGIESSER said:

I think it's possible for the scripts to go bad on certain hubs. For instance I recall one time when I couldn't get at the cave key in the cave submap of Hub2. I had got it before struggle free, but this time I couldn't get at it.

Map09, Sector 136, with a tag of 9, wouldn't open up. I had already got all the other parts of the puzzle. Just needed to cave key to get to finish the rest and I couldn't get at it. Drove me bonkers.

Scripting error? Or me unable to find as switch or something? The non linearity factor in some parts makes me wonder if it can cause the scripting to ocaisionally go bad.

Actually it didn't work. But I figured out what my problem was, can't run it in 32bit for whatever reason.

I think I know what door you're talking about. There's a door with an afrit stuck in it. You should be able to see it from one side. Kill it and the door opens.

Phobos said:

Their is a simple solution to this, when you enter the axe room, jump on the icon of the defender and kill the afrits but when the Chaos Serpents appear. DO NOT KILL THEM! Wait until 2 side walls open with dark bishops, then you may proceed to destory them.

Actually you have to kill 1 serpent, but not more.

//==================== script 13 ====================

script 13 OPEN
{
until(thingcount(T_DEMON, 0) == 3)
{
delay(const:210);
}
Door_Open(const:28, 32);
tagwait(const:28);
Stairs_BuildDownSync(const:18, 8, 16, 0);
}

IMO Hexen II is a very good game. It has a nice gloomy atmosphere and fairly non-linear leveldesign with interesting puzzles (not really hard compared to any adventure game).

Leveldesign isn´t equally good in all episodes though. While the medieval and the egyptian episode have excellent leveldesign, the mesoamerican episiode is comparably bad (flat, cramped and boxy levels) and the leveldesign in the roman episode feels kind of bland and empty.

One thing where Hexen II is slightly lacking is enemy variety. There are unique monster types for each episode, but because they are restricted to their corresponding episode they aren´t mixed enough and thus the combat gets repetitive.

Another problem is the weapons. Each player class only has 4 weapons. So in total the game contains an impressive ammount of 16 different weapons, but actually you always are confined to a set of 4 weapons when playing.

Tetzlaff said:

Leveldesign isn´t equally good in all episodes though. While the medieval and the egyptian episode have excellent leveldesign, the mesoamerican episiode is comparably bad (flat, cramped and boxy levels) and the leveldesign in the roman episode feels kind of bland and empty.

One thing where Hexen II is slightly lacking is enemy variety. There are unique monster types for each episode, but because they are restricted to their corresponding episode they aren´t mixed enough and thus the combat gets repetitive.

Pretty much in agreement there.

Some monsters have funny weaknesses as well. Ducking in front of a Medusa at close range (on level ground) would prompt it to repeatedly use its melee attack, but it would always miss you. You could just beat it to death from a ducking position.

The latest patched version kinda messed up the Eidolon battle as well, since he falls asleep after the orb is destroyed. He can be snapped out of it in a few ways, but otherwise, you can finish off the rest of his HP while he just stands there.

IMO Hexen 2 and Heretic 2 both show that they are made to sell rather than be good games. I loved Heretic and Hexen, why on earth they didn't make Hecatomb instead of these two silly sequels is beyond me.