Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vomited_anal_tract

Mac Multiplayer

I have a Mac and I use Doomsday. I tried to connect with my friend who is a PC user and it wouldn't work. He said it's because Mac and PC block eachother's IP. Is that true? Is there any way to get around this roadblock or will I have to use someone else's PC to play? Is there some kind of server like zone.com for Doom?

vomited_anal_tract said:

I have a Mac and I use Doomsday. I tried to connect with my friend who is a PC user and it wouldn't work. He said it's because Mac and PC block eachother's IP. Is that true?

This doesn't really mean anything at all, so no.

Do you have an Intel or a PowerPC Mac? If you have a PowerPC Mac then there may be endianness conversion problems (this would be a bug in Doomsday). You may also just be experiencing any of the normal problems people experience when playing Doom over the Internet.

As far as I know, none of the Mac Doom ports currently support multiplayer, except the original vanilla Doom port for classic Mac OS, which supported local network play, and splitscreen play in Legacy. At the moment, there's no way to get your Mac to play Doom online, sadly.

However, if it's an Intel Mac, you can use Boot Camp to dual-boot it with Windows XP and use any Doom ports you want, including ZDaemon or Skulltag for multiplayer. If not, you're out of luck. :(

esselfortium said:

As far as I know, none of the Mac Doom ports currently support multiplayer

Really, I have Doomsday for OSX and it has a multiplayer menu. I can refresh the list and sometimes I see one game on the list but I experience the same problem I had before with my friend. It just sits there for a long time and closes.

It also won't play SCYTHE.wad which is my favourite non-ID wad.

vomited_anal_tract said:

Really, I have Doomsday for OSX and it has a multiplayer menu. I can refresh the list and sometimes I see one game on the list but I experience the same problem I had before with my friend. It just sits there for a long time and closes.

It also won't play SCYTHE.wad which is my favourite non-ID wad.

Yeah. Doomsday comes close but still doesn't work. You can ask Skyjake and DaniJ666 about it over on the official Doosmday Engine forums on Newdoom. Last I tried Doomsday multiplayer on Mac, it put me in an eternal state of "in the middle of a jump", so I slid around awkwardly and was unable to move down to land or move up to walk up stairs. :\

esselfortium said:

As far as I know, none of the Mac Doom ports currently support multiplayer, except the original vanilla Doom port for classic Mac OS, which supported local network play, and splitscreen play in Legacy. At the moment, there's no way to get your Mac to play Doom online, sadly.

Uh, PrBoom does multiplayer. Mind you the netcode isnt the best, but Pr definetly does multiplayer (even on OSX)

Uh, PrBoom does multiplayer. Mind you the netcode isnt the best, but Pr definetly does multiplayer (even on OSX)

You can play multiplayer on MacOS with Chocolate Doom.

Okay you guys win sry 9_9