Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asdjfk

wolfendoom troubles

ok i have tried running a modifacation of doom 2 called Die Fuhrer Die (part of the wolfendoom series thing) It supposed to have different textures, levels and enemies. However, i load up doom 2 (actaually i use freedoom but it has doom 2 levels)and die.wad and die.deh, but nothing changed except i see the dogs from wolfenstein 3d!. Does anyone know how to run the thing properly?

The original WolfenDOOMs have a custom version of BOOM that they work with exclusively. In other ports, some of the stuff won't work properly. This is a problem because BOOM only runs in DOS. Joel and I have discussed modifications to Eternity that would help rectify this situation. A few of them have been put in now, but there are a few critical ones that have yet to be put in that I am thinking about getting done really soon, including the ability to have a multiscreen slideshow for an episode ending.

Doesn't help. These EXEs change the order of levels and apparently a few other things as well. I think most of it would be fixable by defining it with modern ports' control lumps but who knows what changes precisely these EXEs contain? AFAIK source is not available.

Could you let us know exactly what files you have? If you give us a download link, we can then be sure we are looking at the same thing.

Quasar said:
The original WolfenDOOMs have a custom version of BOOM that they work with exclusively.

Most use normal engines. I think only one or two use a custom (MBF, I think) engine. The one in question is a Doom2 PWAD with a normal DeHackEd patch. Our friend here (odd username, by the way) is just having some setup issue, most likely.

The add-on is also on 3Dick Downloads, but getting it from there is a pain in the ass.

so could someone pleas tell me what to do? Im kinda new to this stuff
i seriously need a bit of help, i read all the directions i could find and it doesnt work

Hmm. The original Mac versions of these just used the original MacDoom executable with a Dehacked patch. No other engine modifications were used, as far as I remember...

The one linked to on the page you referred to is just a wad + deh, and so should work with any port with good enough dehacked support. What exe (port) are you using, and how are you loading it?

Note that Doom95 does not support dehacked patches (deh) at all. The author also recommends not using it with Doom2.exe, though he doesn't clarify the reasons for that. I'll assume for now that they're good ones. But note that if you do want to try it with Doom2.exe or Doom-plus, you will need to use deusf and dehacked.

In general, with a port you can launch it from the command line using something like:

[port] -file die.wad -deh die.deh

Replace "[port]" with the name of the port that you are using: eternity, glboom-plus, zdoom, etc. In many ports, you can omit the file extensions or the -file and -deh switches if you wish. For instance:

glboom-plus die die.deh

If you are using Chocolate-Doom, then you would need to use -merge:

chocolate-doom -merge die.wad -deh die.deh

Drag and drop works in many ports too (specifically, those based on Boom 2.02, and any others that have added this feature). In these cases, you can just drag and drop both die.wad and die.deh onto the exe, or a shortcut to it. Note that you can drag and drop them directly from within the zip if you like.

If you hit problems, then in your report, be sure to mention exactly which version (name + version number) of which port you are using, and precisely how you are trying to launch it (quote your command line, if doing it that way).

i tried using prboom, boom, zdoom, and mbf. I cant do this commcand line stuff becasue when i click on main mbf or boom files, i see a black screen for less then a second and then it dissapears. when i tried zdoom and prboom i tried dragging die.wad and the thing i described started. I dont know how to use the deh file. I try using dehacked and the black screen appears the disappears. (i have windows XP if thats a problem)

You need to get to the command line, or maybe easier, create a shortcut to the port (right click, create shortcut). Then right click on the shortcut, select Properties, then enter the necessary parameters described by Grazza. In addition, in order to get the secret exit to work, the first level of the WAD will NOT be MAP01. Doom II has 32 maps, Die Fuhrer Die has only 10, and back when it was made there was no way to change the secret exits. Doom II's secret exit was on MAP15. I don't remember which level on DFD had the secret exit, but Laz will have numbered the levels so the two line up. Numerous other WolfenDOOM releases use the same trick. Check the text file and it will tell you what you need to warp to. Start the game, then type IDCLEVxx where xx is the starting map.

As others have pointed out, Die Fuhrer Die was originally released by Laz as a stand alone episode using the Doom II 128x128 Wolfenstein textures and a simple WAD + DEH combo. The later releases using my ports used 64x64 textures for a more accurate rendition.

but who knows what changes precisely these EXEs contain?

/puts hand up

I think as it stands, Eternity could probably handle all three of the port releases - Spear of Destiny, Nocturnal Missions and Original Missions - with one or two issues still to be resolved. I have some of the original code still, and it wouldn't take me long to figure out any missing pieces of the puzzle.

Here's a list of the changes I remember; there's not many.

- Made episode selection menu work even though they were Doom II WADs
- Recoded the secret exits
- Made some bosses drop keys when killed
- Stopped the enemies from going after each other when the accidentally hit each other (though they still can hurt each other, Laz decided he wanted this for realism even though Wolf3D didn't have it.)
- Replaced the Text + Tiled Flat intermissions with single 320x200 graphics
- Recoded when the intermissions appear
- I might have done something to make it so the officers (white guys) fire pistols instead of chainguns (as they replaced the Heavy Weapon Dude). Laz later figured out how to do this with DEH, so I might have my chronology wrong.

asdjfk said:

when i tried zdoom and prboom i tried dragging die.wad and the thing i described started. I dont know how to use the deh file.

If using drag and drop, you need to drag both die.wad and die.deh *at the same time* and drop them onto the exe.

To do that, click once on one of the files. Then press the Ctrl key and click on the other one. Then you drag them both onto the exe at the same time.

If you need further help with dragging and dropping, try a page like this.

Joel: His earlier posts showed that he is trying to get an older version with just a wad+deh (but with updated sounds) to work. This version has ten maps (01-10), with map10 as the Pacman map.

Grazza said:

Joel: His earlier posts showed that he is trying to get an older version with just a wad+deh (but with updated sounds) to work. This version has ten maps (01-10), with map10 as the Pacman map.

Umm, yes I know.

As others have pointed out, Die Fuhrer Die was originally released by Laz as a stand alone episode using the Doom II 128x128 Wolfenstein textures and a simple WAD + DEH combo.

Looking at the text file I see you're right about the maps starting at MAP01. Strange, Laz usually moved them around to accommodate the secret exit. When the original poster said that all the changed were the dogs I guessed that was what was happening.

alright i drag and dropped die.wad and die.deh at the same time on zdoom, but it said could not find main wadfile. I have doom2.wad and doom.wad in same folder as zdoom

ok this is getting weird i load it up and there and all the wolfenstein textures and enemies are there, but the level is really wierd. I also tried that treasure hunter thing (another mod, same series), and all i get is different enemies. Why couldnt the creator just release seperate .exe's of his mods?

i have a question. Do i have to use the real doom 2 or can i use freedoom? Cuz i dont have the real doom. Id buy it but i cant find it or doom collectors edition anywhere