Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

What's Better?

I always loved how you could pick an episode to start in.
Sometimes I felt like playing in e2 of Doom rather than having to play through e1 first.
Of course there's also cheat codes.

depends, ultimate doom has 4 different themes to it, while doom 2 has one. So it's pointiless to split doom 2 into episodes.

However I do like some veriaty in a game so I like how doom was made better than doom2.

Episodes.

GODDAMN YOU FREDRIK!!!!! NOW I CAN'T VOTE FOR THAT ONE!!!!!! :)

Hubs. Best of both worlds.

Yes. That's the perfect choice. I fail to see why you forgot to put that one up there DooMBoy, so I'm gonna have to do it....

Stupidity cannot be concealed

whats it matter? back when i stopped playing i never ever played through from begining to end. i would just cheat to get to a certain level that was on my mind and beat it. but when i very first started playing i liked episodes more.

Hubs suck. Of course they are realistic and blah blah blah, but I just like when I have a rather small (99.99% of Doom levels are "rather small") level, which I know has an exit that I have to reach, and which, upon exiting, I'll never enter again.

Hubs promote the linearity of gameplay (you need to constantly move forward, otherwise you will get lost). In Doom, your levels can be as non-linear as you want, because the levels themselves are not gigantic, and you know exactly where the borders are (and you have a map, of course).

Oh, and Episodes.

Hubs. Best of both worlds.

See, Lüt, they'd be happier if you used my maps, whenever I get them to you :P

Good thing about DOOM is that it allows such big maps that hubs aren't necessary. Oh by the way, damn segs & sidedef limits...

I dislike hubs, because they make it damn easy to get lost. Now, getting lost ain't my idea of fun, my idea of fun is killing baddies, not wasting time running back and forth.

Episodes, hands down.

while doom 2 has one.

Doom2 has a lot of themes. Yeah you could say the main theme was "crap" but it goes from spaceports to cities to hell which could easily be broken down by episodes. In fact, they are done by intermissions anyways, although the intermissions aren't exactly where the episode splits would be.

I find the Doom 2 intermissions inconsistent as Hell.

The first intermission appears out of the blue after level 6 the next around level 11 (I can't remember excactly - I don't play Doom 2 that often) the third after level 20 (if we ignore the secret level intermission) and the last after level 30.
That's not very consistent in my eyes.

Oh yeah, and the themes in Doom 2:

Starbase theme: Rubbish consisting of a few computer monitors and general futuristic-base textures - thrown together in complete nonsensical chaos.

City theme: Total shit that doesn't make sense, lots of brown textures (They were obviously preparing for Quake 1).

Hell theme: Worse than in the first Doom game that's fer sure - a mix of everything seen before (like Doom e3, but worse).

I dislike hubs, because they make it damn easy to get lost. Now, getting lost ain't my idea of fun, my idea of fun is killing baddies, not wasting time running back and forth.

Eh, to each his own.

Hubs promote the linearity of gameplay (you need to constantly move forward, otherwise you will get lost). In Doom, your levels can be as non-linear as you want, because the levels themselves are not gigantic, and you know exactly where the borders are (and you have a map, of course).

What planet are you from?????? The concept of "linear" means that the levels are in a chain, and once you beat a level, you can't go back to it. It just goes straight. Next chance you get, go get a CAT scan.

What a bunch of whiners. They get lost on a hub of 2.5D maps...hah

Am I the only idiot that enjoyed walking around on Hexen's hubs when everyone was dead?

What a bunch of whiners. They get lost on a hub of 2.5D maps...hah

Forsooth.

Am I the only idiot that enjoyed walking around on Hexen's hubs when everyone was dead?

No.

All the hubs but the Woodlands one. It's a pain in the ass in the desert level because those fucking spikes can still kill you anyway.

All the hubs but the Woodlands one. It's a pain in the ass in the desert level because those fucking spikes can still kill you anyway.

Shadow wood is one of the greatest pieces of work the Doom engine has ever seen (especially darkmere). The spikes are easy to dodge. I've never been hit by them in that level.

I've never been hit by the spikes in my life, on any level!

BTW, I'm one more "idiot" to add that enjoyed walking around in Hexen's hubs. But I seem to be the only idiot at this point that enjoyed walking around in Hexen 2's hubs.

Hell theme: Worse than in the first Doom game that's fer sure - a mix of everything seen before (like Doom e3, but worse).

Wait, are you saying E3 sucked?

Die.

BTW, Doom2's two hell maps were pretty good.

So don't step on them.

walking around Hexen hubs

I have a savegame for each hub, after I've cleared the whole thing and gone back to the start of the first map.

But I seem to be the only idiot at this point that enjoyed walking around in Hexen 2's hubs.

Wait I liked that too. Temple of Nefertum, the outdoor scene with the 2 stairs, lots of columns and statues. Boy that still looks great. Quake 1 to the fullest.

Shadow wood is one of the greatest pieces of work the Doom engine has ever seen (especially darkmere). The spikes are easy to dodge. I've never been hit by them in that level.

I haven't been either, ever since I realized they existed by one being thrusted roughly up my arsehole.

By "hell maps" you mean Spirit World and Living End?

Wait, are you saying E3 sucked?

Die.

No, I'm saying that e3 didn't have as good level design as e1 and that those levels were a bit surrealistic.
But Doom 2's maps sucked 'cept The Spirit World (only Doom 2 map that looked like a place in Hell).

Temple of Nefertum, the outdoor scene with the 2 stairs, lots of columns and statues.

Fuckin 'a man. I may be an avid Latin student, but my fave hub was actually Thysis, and Septemus was actually my least favorite.

I dunno what he meant, but Living End is definetely my favorite Doom2 map :)

OK children, let's play Crendowing's fill-in-the-blank:

D___-F______-_

:)

Ditt-fucking-o =)

Yeah, I pass Living End off as a hell map only because it comes after Spirit World. Otherwise I'd just call it a big cave.