Liberation

Heretic: The battle of the Damned

The battle of the Damned is a remake of episode 1 of heretic using gzdoom, it
will feature-

-9 new levels made by myself and Homer
-A story that accounts for why you go to different locations
-3d bits and pieces to enhance gameplay

These maps are being constucted under the lines that we will only set ourselves
2 days to do each map (not including final detailing and beta testing).

The map in my other heretic thread is level 1 on this and has been modyfied
a fair bit and is pretty much completed, I started level 2 last night and im about 75%
done.

Homer has started level 6 and is doing a grand job so far...

Screenshots

The first being of e1m6 by Homer..

Screenshots of e1m2 by me..

this is still wip, but its the final area of the dungons...

It most definetely sounds nice. You seem bent on trying to bring back Heretic to the doom community. Seeing your other map you may be recogonized as a good Heretic level builder, providing they aremore challenging ;)

kristus said:

What features of GZdoom are you using other than 3d objects?

Well i was planning on trying dynamic light entrys with decorate but im not sure i need it anymore.

Whats stoping this wad becoming legacy compatitable is the use of ACS (a small bit anyway) and the use of mapinfo which provides text
like briefings to explain things to the player. Also i was planing on adding some more scenery entrys.

So yea the only gzdoom feature im using is 3d floors, people might think that 3d floors are a gimmick, but i disagree and find them useful to add in levels, over come alot of boundries and can add to game play (which cant be a bad thing).

Anyway on to mapping e1m3.

3D floors are alright to have as long as they fit into the icture well and dont SEEM gimmicky. The acs engine is great and not many people seem to enjoy the use of the legacy engine, so dont worry about making it legacy compatible.

EDIT: Actually, i just realized that placing 3D floors in a Heretic wad would look pretty gay. It just seems that it is seems out of place. In a normal doom wad then it may fit in but with Heretic it just wont work to well.

I dont think it looks gay, the 3d floors didnt seem out of place in my first map, i thought the hight variation made a change and added abit to the gameplay.

But thats your opinion and your intitled to it, and we will see.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

EDIT: Actually, i just realized that placing 3D floors in a Heretic wad would look pretty gay. It just seems that it is seems out of place. In a normal doom wad then it may fit in but with Heretic it just wont work to well.

lol

Liberation said:

Whats stoping this wad becoming legacy compatitable is the use of ACS (a small bit anyway) and the use of mapinfo which provides text like briefings to explain things to the player. Also i was planing on adding some more scenery entrys.

ACS and mapinfo will be supported in the next version, so I wouldn't worry about it.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

The question is how did you test that theory?

Homer said:

The question is how did you test that theory?

Answer: I didnt i just felt that if they were placed in a game that was desinged without this that it may only work in certain situations. The old castle style levels of Heretic dont seem to incorperate them well. Beside many medieval castles didnt function on a 3d floor style, apart from the upper an lower levels, but i dont feel like a history lecture ;)
EDIT: Maybe i should just shut the fuck up and let the criticizing go to the experts.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Answer: I didnt i just felt that if they were placed in a game that was desinged without this that it may only work in certain situations. The old castle style levels of Heretic dont seem to incorperate them well. Beside many medieval castles didnt function on a 3d floor style, apart from the upper an lower levels, but i dont feel like a history lecture ;)
EDIT: Maybe i should just shut the fuck up and let the criticizing go to the experts.

...Doom didn't have 3d floors either, you know. ;p

I know that, I just meant that the 3d floors look wierd in a castle. When I typed this I was reletiveley vague on the specifics, so I apologize. Like i said I should just shut the fuck up and go back fighting a gay ass war. Yeah for those who suport the troops!

Ok, I finally got another day to finish my E1M6. But I'm going to have to drop my E1M7, I'm getting too busy with other projects, and Heretic isn't my thing for mapping. :P