Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leileilol

Crocodile hunted

The Australian news sites appear to be undergoing what we're referring to at work as "Ausdotting".

Amazingly, instead of "who didn't see that coming?" being the response of people around here upon hearing Steve was finally killed by an animal, their response is instead "yeah, bullshit, you're joking."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349534-952,00.html

i'll quote this incase of loading hassles

THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead. He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It appeared that he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest, Queensland Police Inspector Russell Rhodes said.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occurred.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Mr Irwin was killed just after 11am, Eastern Australian time.

It is understood he was killed instantly.

A source said Mr Irwin was already dead when his body was brought onto the Isle.

A source said Mr Irwin's body was being airlifted to Cairns Hospital in North Queensland for formal identification.

An Emergency Services Response Management spokeswoman said they received a call about the tragedy at 11.11 am, Australian Eastern Standard Time.

The response unit left in a helicopter for the Batt Reef at 11.18am and arrived shortly after.

Mr Irwin was pronounced dead at the scene immediately, the spokeswoman said.

More soon

leileilol said:
i'll quote this incase of loading hassles

Don't worry, it's not hosted on the forums!

GooberMan said:
Amazingly, instead of "who didn't see that coming?" being the response of people around here upon hearing Steve was finally killed by an animal, their response is instead "yeah, bullshit, you're joking."

Pretty much.

what I learned from this is that a lot of people don't know what a stingray is.

He died as he lived, pissing off animals.

I always wondered what would happen if he did get eaten by one of his crocodiles. He would have been against killing the big handbag, so would they have pumped the croc's stomach to get his body back? Or would they just have waited a week and filled the coffin with crocshit?

Now I will never know.

Anyway, the grief is almost too much to bear.

Wow. This is the first time I've felt loss for a TV personality. And to think, the last I saw of him was a documentary on his family life. I wonder how they'll cope.

I too have to admit i had a wry smile when i found out but also saw some of him and his family on TV from time to time, so whilst i'm sure the tide of jokes will ebb and flow i have a sad chunk of me thinking of them.

Still, got to hand it to him: died doing exactly what he loved, didn't get hit by a bus, or get cancer or get shot by a burglar.

His way of making wild life TV shows will probably live on through other maniacs, but it's still a severe loss. Requiescat In Pace

darknation said:

He died as he lived, pissing off animals.

I always wondered what would happen if he did get eaten by one of his crocodiles. He would have been against killing the big handbag, so would they have pumped the croc's stomach to get his body back? Or would they just have waited a week and filled the coffin with crocshit?

Now I will never know.

Anyway, the grief is almost too much to bear.

Even though this situation sucks, that made me laugh my ass off.

Once, at the zoo Steve worked at, a croc he once rescued died. He climbed into the pond full of crocs and clutched the body and cried his heart out. He really loved animals and nature, and it sucks he died this way.

Hey, I wonder if they're looking for a Crocodile Hunter now that a postition just opened up!

A good candidate would be Austin "Snakemaster" Stevens.

Can't say the news of Steve's death (nor the manner in which he died) surprised me, but I'll surely miss his antics.

EDIT: I found this touching video of what BBG described (probably). He really loved those crocs.

Naked Snake said:

He really loved animals and nature, and it sucks he died this way.

As opposed to a car crash, murder or freak orgain failure, I think he would have preferred dying this way. Even if it isn't quite as majestic as getting thrashed around by an elephant or something.

This was probably one of the last things I wanted to read first thing in the morning; it's really bumming me out. But he died doing the things he loved, yadda yadda yadda, and basically everything else that's been said.

Well it’s too bad to see an actual animal lover die in the fields of what he loved doing best. Especially since he now has a child. I always though he would have died at the feet of a croc or a snake, but instead a quick death buy a sting ray was pretty noble.

Crikey!

This sucks. He hath done more for Australia than anyone. hell, he put it back on the map! RIP, Steve. :(

Very unfortunate, but a bit too predictable.

Quote the old addage and say "If you play with fire, you're going to get burnt."

Bank said:

Very unfortunate, but a bit too predictable.

Everyone just knew it would be a stingray.

best response I've seen on the net said:
i can't believe it, out of all the deadly fucking animals this guy's come in contact with and handled playfully it was a shy Stingray that killed him? It wasn't a mistake wrestling in a pit of hungry killer crocks. It wasn't a bite through a bag from a ferocious afrian Black Mamba. It was a fucking STING RAY that killed the great Steave Erwin?

that sting ray deserveres the same respect as Danny Glover got in the end of Predator 2. Give that sting ray it's own patch of ocean and nobody, i mean nobody should fuck with it again!

Csonicgo said:

Crikey!

This sucks. He hath done more for Australia than anyone. hell, he put it back on the map! RIP, Steve. :(

Typical American response.

Job said:

Everyone just knew it would be a stingray.

Any of the animals he handled could have killed him, it's just sad that it had to happen with his young daughters and wife surviving him.

cycloid said:

Still, got to hand it to him: died doing exactly what he loved, didn't get hit by a bus, or get cancer or get shot by a burglar.

T'was a life not wasted.

Oh boy! Another discussion on Crikey-Crockey and Stingy-Dingy! We can't have enough of these on the internets, can we?

I wonder if the mortician is going to stick his thumb up the guy's butthole.

zarkyb said:

Typical American response.

No, typical idiotic response. Please don't confuse the two my irish friend