Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Co-op demo recording & Source Ports

So far I've only attempted co-op demo recording with ZDoom in LAN and non-LAN. I'm looking for some source port closer to the lines of Boom and/or PrBoom that would do the same thing.

What are my choices of source ports for this?

PrBoom or PrBoom+ would certainly do. I've used them to record two player demos online; on a LAN proper they should be even more convenient.

prboom is great on LAN, but on internet with ping over 50 it has huge packet loss causing desynchs...

maybe chocolate doom is worth a try too ?

Chocolate doom isn't Boom-compatible is it? For my purposes I need a Boom-compatible source port that would record co-op demos (online) reliably.

I'll give PrBoom+ a try anyways.

I wasn't able to host a game for PrBoom+. My OS is Windows XP and I used the following commands in cmd:

CD\PrBoom-Plus 2.4.6.1
PrBoom-Plus -skill 4 -warp 01 -host 2

The other guy used the following commands:

CD\PrBoom-Plus 2.4.6.1
PrBoom-Plus -join ##.###.###.##

Note that we use ZDoom to co-op online regularly with port forwarding turned on; I must be missing something in this case.

@Myk: how did you go about setting up your online demos? Was port-forwarding involved?

Doom Marine said:
@Myk: how did you go about setting up your online demos? Was port-forwarding involved?

The main secret was using PrBoom's commands and method, as opposed to ZDoom's or whatnot.

One of the computers has to start a server on one hand (with prboom-plus_server.exe), and then each connects to it, the host using localhost or 127.0.0.1, and the others the (LAN or Internet, as applicable) IP of the computer.

Example:

Host server: prboom-plus_server.exe -s 4 -N 2

That's two players at Ultra-viloence. Warping is unnecessary unless you play something other than level 1, and if the host has any ports that are blocked he can specify the port to use (and then the clients have to add it too).

Host client: prboom-plus.exe -net localhost

Other client: prboom-plus.exe -net 169.254.23.127

Keep in mind the host executed two programs (through two separate shortcuts, batches or comman prompts). There should be no need to specify the IWAD if you're playing DOOM II but it's done through the clients.

Unfortunately the PrBoom+ package doesn't include the PrBoom documentation, so unless you get PrBoom you won't know what the commands are. Get PrBoom as well, and read prboom-game-server.html for all the available commands.

prboom-plus_server.exe -n 2 -w av.wad

prboom-plus.exe -file av.wad -net IP (or localhost)
prboom-plus.exe -file av.wad -net IP (or localhost)

but it still very ugly

entryway said:
but it still very ugly

The part I like least is that the clients can't choose the location of PWADs and must place them in the home directory of the executable.

VinceDSS said:
is there a launcher ala zDaemon to start servers and connect to them ?

Not sure if anyone coded such a thing, but it wouldn't be too useful due to the style of connectivity PrBoom offers. As you said it's not very good once the ping gets closer to 100 (not to mention higher).