Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Nintendo Wii: Who's getting one?

I am. Obviously.

Although not _officially_ confirmed, it looks like the price of the console is going to be roughly $250 USD and released on Nov 19. I think that's a weird date however since it's a sunday.

Who else is looking forward to this launch with excitement?

At that prize, sounds good to me.

I just hope that I don't have to pay $80 or so for another controller, $50 for a memory card... that pisses me off.

I am. I'm not sure if I'll buy one immediately at launch, especially with the holiday rush and all. I really want to see what the initial reaction to the console is before I take the plunge. However, I get the feeling this will be a fun, quirky console, and I hope it can capture the same market as the DS.

1:55 p.m. [update 8]: And the other shoe drops. Famitsu is reporting a December 2 launch and 25,000 yen price for Japan.

Who knows, that would be roughly $210 USD I believe. Also that would be a launch after the PS3. I believe I remember Nintendo saying at some point they wanted a world wide launch

I just saw some videos on Nintendo's Japanese site and I am very excited about this. It has features outside of gaming, such as a news program, web browser(Opera), avatar creation, photo editing and even weather that allows you to view a map of the world with appropriate forecasts for the region! Nintendo definitely is focusing on non-gamers in a good way.

Scuba Steve said:

$250? That's a month's rent! Sorry, can't do it.

You pay very low rent.

$250 is a lot higher than what people where hoping for...

I've never bought a home console, but maybe (just maybe) I'll pick one up when they're cheaper if I can stand using the controller (I despise the controllers on the XBox/PS2/GC).

I already jumped on the bandwagon with the DS Lite though, so maybe I'll just stick to that.

The only Wii game I'm interested in so far is Smash Bros Brawl, and I'm not going to buy a game system just for one game. I'm not going to buy one until I find more games I'm interested in getting. Besides, I just bought a Sega Saturn, getting a new console is the last thing on my mind right now.

david_a said:

$250 is a lot higher than what people where hoping for...

Funny that a lot of people are complaining about how $250 is higher than they expected but it's still significantly less than half of a PS3 :P

Ralphis said:

Funny that a lot of people are complaining about how $250 is higher than they expected but it's still significantly less than half of a PS3 :P

That's why I'm getting a Wii. But I'm going to wait until the price goes down or they fix whatever bugs might be in the first version.

I'm getting a Wii so I can try out Red Steel and SSBB. Also am eager to try out Twilight Princess, but with car insurance and a minimum wage job its kinda hard to save up till then.

If the PS3 fails... and the XBox 360 dosn't get better titles... and it gets good ports of Metal gear solid, GTA, Mercenaries and Burnout... and I don't feel like upgrading my PC... and it's on sale... and the Nintendo fanboys stop pissing me off... then maybe.

EDIT:Might sound like I'm joking, but that set of circumstances is looking quite possible... Except I doubt Nintendo fanboys will ever stop pissing me off though.

Ralphis said:

Yes, but the Wii is more or less just a GameCube with bumped clockspeeds and a fancy controller. Nintendo is going to make a killer profit on the hardware.

If it was $200 or lower I think they would be in impulse-buy territory.

Most likely I.

My family is poor enough that I would not ask for it for a gift, but I also don't like buying stuff like that for myself before Christmas. I might just end up getting it in January or something.

And yeah, hopefully they don't $20 and $50 us to death with peripheral equipment. That always sucks.

AndrewB said:

And yeah, hopefully they don't $20 and $50 us to death with peripheral equipment. That always sucks.

Meh thats not as bad as PS3's games costing up to $90, or controllers costing 60-70. Ps3's gonna suck lol.

On a side note I'd be a happy guy if they put some original gameboy games including Metroid 2 on the download thing. Props if they take on the xbox live arcade manuever and add online play to popular titles like Goldeneye.

Online Goldeneye? Wow, that would be great and probably not that hard to do technically. However if they WERE to do that, they probably would have already hyped it up like crazy. But they haven't AFAIK.

I might pick one up once a few awesome games have released, and I have $300 to blow. I'll espeically look into it of they add online play to most, if not all their older games.

Metroid Prime 3 does look good, but Im just really hyped about Red Steel. The fact that you can do sword combat in a realistic manner is just sheer awesome.