Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darmuss

Is jumping allowed in Assault on Tei Tenga?

Actually, it is.

Even though it is old Assault on Tei Tenga is Zdoom with a big Z.

In fact it can be said to be one of the important wads in popularising the source port.

While jumping is not a critical necessity the wad is clearly designed with jumping in mind. There are no areas you can go with jumping where you are not supposed to go and you cannot bypass content in this fashion.

Also the last boss level has an area that more or less requires jumping to reach (the place with the grav switch).

Ralphis said:

Tei Tenga is one of the top 10 doom wads of all time

Tei Tenga is one of the most overscripted messes of all time. No gameplay whatsoever.

Graf Zahl said:

Tei Tenga is one of the most overscripted messes of all time. No gameplay whatsoever.

Though it's one of the wads that made ZDoom really popular among all the other source ports!

Graf Zahl said:

So says 5 years of hindsight. At the time of the release, Tei Tenga was one of the most amazing doom mods I had ever played.

Scuba Steve said:

So says 5 years of hindsight. At the time of the release, Tei Tenga was one of the most amazing doom mods I had ever played.

Same here. I was just astounded of the plot and style it was made. Loved the insane computer, music and everything. It had its small flaws, but they can be forgiven by everything else in it that was just amazing at the time, and still is. :)

Graf Zahl said:

Top 100. ;)
If I remember correctly, Teitenga wasn't famous for its gameplay, but for how well it used the various Zdoom scripts.

Craigs said:

Top 100. ;)
If I remember correctly, Teitenga wasn't famous for its gameplay, but for how well it used the various Zdoom scripts.

And that it did well. Too bad that you can't play scripts... ;)

Scuba Steve said:

Actually, I thought the same thing when it first came out.

Guess I'm just way ahead of my time ^_____^

Though, 5 years of hindsight says I wasn't the best at writing reviews, but my basic first impression still stands.

Graf Zahl said:

And that it did well. Too bad that you can't play scripts... ;)

Actually I played the scripts fine. The wad was cutting edge 7 years ago and paved the way for you to build your messy source port.

;]

Maybe cutting edge in the amount of scripting used but overall I have to agree fully with Lüt's review that perfectly sums up what this WAD is about.

Even the most massive amount of scripting imaginable won't make playing bad maps enjoyable.

Tormentor667 said:

Though it's one of the wads that made ZDoom really popular among all the other source ports!

Since when everything has to be about competition?

The review said:

Enemies finally made their appearance in the second level, which basically consists of a few large rooms and a few hallways. Unfortunately, you have to make a quick run for a certain place containing a shotgun that you won't find unless you know when to save and load so you can explore different sections of the level before you get slaughtered by hoardes of teleporting imps. Hint: Hear teleporting? If you haven't found the shotgun, you're probably already dead.

I guess reading that huge 'armoury' sign and finding the switch to open it was too hard.

Tei Tenga is a nice wad, unlike some of the newer wads made for ZDoom.

The scripting is really what made that wad. And unlike what Graf thinks. It's a part of the gameplay. I enjoyed it back in the days, but it's not a top 10 imo.

I haven't played it at the time of it's release, but I did finally download it last night after seeing this thread and all of you talking about it.

And I actually did like it. The scripting seemed effective in making the experience appear to be interactive...
Even though all of those transmissions and conversations have been pre-programmed to pop up in only one sequence and only under particularly predefined criteria, it still felt as if it was a real life scenario where you're very curious and you don't know just what to expect to happen next.

The only thing that irritated me was the music on the first level. But all the other tunes were great. Especially the one from the Nuclear Plant.

And yes, I beieve that jumping is not only allowed but that it is also actually NECESSARY. Since I couldn't get several crucial items on the second level without jumping.