Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rebdoomin

play as a dead marine

hey guys I have discovered something realy cool when playing doom!
If you have two player one spawnpoints in a doom level, and if you injure yourself before killing the other player one spawn, youl turn into a running corpse! You wont be able to do any thing but run around. but its realy cool for if you want enemys to fight each other. You can beat the whole level as a corpse.

please let me know what you think of this. I think this could realy lead some where. (sorry if i spelled lead wrong)

Better late than never. Now let's see you make something cool with it.

Makes sense only for single levels, since afterwards you turn into a true ghost, unable to do absolutely anything, just like a doomed spectator, unable to pass doors or any such obstacle. This concept could be extended via modding by turning the player into a former human, also via "voodoo dolls."

Timeline of the year.

I really don't get these OMG LEWK WAHT i FUOND IN DEWM!!! threads, because I have yet to find one that isn't timeline.

HAy guyz did u no u played as a space marine in doom i didnt no that i before i just found it out today.

The zombie player trick is old news buddy. I must confess though, that I really like to exploit it in CTF on Zdaemon. For some reason they never notice that one body seems to be getting closer and closer to their flag...

Craigs said:

I must confess though, that I really like to exploit it in CTF on Zdaemon. For some reason they never notice that one body seems to be getting closer and closer to their flag...

LOL

Yeah I'm sure it works wonders against all the noobs you play with.

Not to mention it has nothing to do with the zombie behavior described in this thread.

well nobodys perfect. I tried fidning something cool.

ghost mode is pwnzer when watching enemies fight each other
(my opinion)

welcome to mars marine. semper fi! oorah! Have fun running around with ur bfg9000.

HobbsTiger1 said:

I really don't get these OMG LEWK WAHT i FUOND IN DEWM!!! threads, because I have yet to find one that isn't timeline.

Well at least they're not the "HEY I REALLY LIKE (BLANK) ABOUT DOOM! (BLANK) IS SO COOL! I'M GOING TO TYPE THREE PARAGRAPHS ABOUT WHY IT'S SO COOL AND WHY IT GIVES ME WET DREAMS!"

GGG said:

Well at least they're not the "HEY I REALLY LIKE (BLANK) ABOUT DOOM! (BLANK) IS SO COOL! I'M GOING TO TYPE THREE PARAGRAPHS ABOUT WHY IT'S SO COOL AND WHY IT GIVES ME WET DREAMS!"

Word, GGG...
...and at least they're not the "HEY I'M POSTING MY DUMBSHIT INSULTS HERE, TO PROOVE YOU'RE AGES BEHIND MONKEYS!".

The situation has been straightened within the second reply... I mean, what's the fookin' point in showing the guy you all know about voodoo doll trick? I'm sure as hell 90% of you didn't find out that by themselves...

I did. Back in the 90s when I was a really horrible mapper (homs and all) I stuck two player 1 starts in and I had this marine standing in front of me. And from fucking around with this marine statue as I called it I got zombified.

Also when people find something NEW AND DIFFERENT they need to learn to check http://doom.wikia.com

I can't seem to reproduce zombification "properly" with ZDoom and any of its different versions.

Has it been removed/fixed in source ports in general, or can it be toggled on/off with some compatibility flags?

Also...the only "official" iD map containing voodoo dolls is Final Doom's Evilution level 29, and in fact sometimes the player is zombified :-)

Maes said:

I can't seem to reproduce zombification "properly" with ZDoom and any of its different versions.

Zdoom removes this, yes.

Has it been removed/fixed in source ports in general, or can it be toggled on/off with some compatibility flags?

No, it has not been removed in ports in general. I can't think of any that compat option it (though there might be some). Generally it seems to be viewed either as a feature of the game and retained, or viewed as a bug and removed (with the player dying instead).

Also...the only "official" iD map containing voodoo dolls is Final Doom's Evilution level 29, and in fact sometimes the player is zombified :-)

There are voodoo dolls in other Final Doom levels, such as Evilution map30 and Plutonia map28. Maybe others - someone will doubtless jump in and post to that effect.

printz said:

Makes sense only for single levels, since afterwards you turn into a true ghost, unable to do absolutely anything, just like a doomed spectator, unable to pass doors or any such obstacle.

No. If you pick up health between being zombified and exiting, you start the next level as a normal player. Also, permazombies (i.e. what you are if you *start* a map with 0% health) aren't quite so limited as you say. They can't pick things up, but they can open doors, trigger linedefs and press switches. Also by allowing themselves to be squished, they can then pass through doors and walls, though are restricted by certain types of height differences and can no longer trigger linedefs.

For some demos exploring zombie player and ghost zombie player behaviour, see this thread and this post.

Yeah, OK, there are even some old demos showing how a dead marine could kill a Cyberdemon, but in general it's better to stay alive...gameplay wise.

Unless some warped PWAD maker thinks of a map so impossible to beat normally, that the only way through would be to become a zombie so monsters are not awakened :-)

Only in that case, being a zombie would be an actual part of the gameplay.

Maes said:
Yeah, OK, there are even some old demos showing how a dead marine could kill a Cyberdemon

Where are these? (Assuming you're not talking about Grazza's. I suppose not, as it's not too old).

Grazza said:

If you pick up health between being zombified and exiting, you start the next level as a normal player. Also, permazombies (i.e. what you are if you *start* a map with 0% health) aren't quite so limited as you say. They can't pick things up, but they can open doors, trigger linedefs and press switches. Also by allowing themselves to be squished, they can then pass through doors and walls, though are restricted by certain types of height differences and can no longer trigger linedefs.

If a squished zombie's height and radius become equal to 0, a normal zombie's height should be 1/4th of its original height. Has this been verified already?

myk said:

Where are these? (Assuming you're not talking about Grazza's. I suppose not, as it's not too old).

I will try to dig those up for you :-) I don't remember who made them, I just recall I downloaded them from a very early version of Doomworld (1998?) and they work with vanilla 1.9 and ofc Doom 95.

*** SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! ****

Anyway, the "dead marine killing a cyberdaemon" demo basically shows a marine getting cyber-rocketed, then the corpse sliding down some stairs and telefragging the baddie, thus ending the level :-)

Ofc it came coupled with a PWAD and LMP, so you could...uhm...start E1M2 normally ;-)

Terra-jin said:

If a squished zombie's height and radius become equal to 0, a normal zombie's height should be 1/4th of its original height. Has this been verified already?

I don't think there is a height reduction when a player becomes an ordinary zombie. So far as the engine is concerned, the player hasn't actually died - his health (from one viewpoint) has merely reached zero, which gives him some properties of a corpse (like no weapon), but some properties of a normal player (like being able to move), depending on what each relevant part of the code checks to determine its behaviour.

Zombie players can indeed telefrag monsters. This is necessary, for instance, if you play hr26 as a permazombie. And several levels have used voodoo dolls to telefrag monsters, of course (heroes e4m8, ksutra map24, secret levels in Cyberdreams).

Grazza said:

Zombie players can indeed telefrag monsters. This is necessary, for instance, if you play hr26 as a permazombie. And several levels have used voodoo dolls to telefrag monsters, of course (heroes e4m8, ksutra map24, secret levels in Cyberdreams).

Yup, indeed they can :-)

Now...I dug up those LMPs/WADs for anyone interested. I don't remember what the original archives were named, however I can recreate them as I have all the files and readmes.

Some data:

They are from 1997 (!) downloaded from http://www.classicgaming.com/doom (URL is presumably a dead/invalid by now) , made by some "Lee Killough" guy.

ZOMBIE:

Includes ZOMBIE.WAD and 4 LMPs for DOOM II v1.9, showing off various "zombie" features like activating switches, telefragging monsters etc. etc.

The most interesting however is REVENGE.WAD and REVENGE.LMP:

That one actually shows a DEAD (yeah, DEAD, not even zombified) marine getting killed and telefragging a cyberdaemon as a corpse (that's right, corpse!) plus some other goodies...

Now, I put some reasonable effort in searching for them at idgames/ , but nothing turned up. If there's enough interest, I can send those via PM or arrange for an upload.

Note: those only work with vanilla doom or at most with Doom 95.